BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Another Is This A Good Deal Thread!

791 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  zoltrix 
#1 ·
Help! After too long in the dark, cold winter of not owning a BMW, I am ready to come back to the fold. How do these numbers sound to the experts here:

328xi 6spd manual
MSRP $36050 (base + heated seats + paint)
Sale @ $34500
money factor .00230
residual 63% at 12000 miles per year
$498.00 tax included with $584.50 due at signing.

#2 ·
What I like to do is compare dealer numbers to actual numbers and then calculate the "true price of the car over invoice and then sum total of all payments and out of pocket costs."

There a few pieces of information missing that will allow me to completely make an apples-to-apples comparison (state tax rate, acquisition charge... if standard ac fee is $625, why do you only own ) but here's what I show.

although you never specifically mention... I'll assume sedan...
MSRP - $36050
Invoice - $33215
Your Price - $34500 (represents $1,285 above invoice... at first glance a good deal)

residual - 63***37; (this is in-line with BMW figure)

money factor - .0023 (this is .0004 higher than BMW base rate money factor. Assuming 1 security deposit, you should be at .0019)

Tax Rate - you never specifically state so my final figure will be before taxes for ease of comparison.

Your Pre-Tax payment under current deal should be = $459.04

Total due at lease signing should be:
Acq Fee - $625
Doc Fee - $100 (est.)
License / Reg - $200 (depending on number of years registration is good for)
Security - $500
1st month - $459.04 (plus tax)
Total = $1884.04

Total paid over term of loan = ($459.04*35) + 1,884.04 - $500 (security returned to you at end of lease = $17,951.60

True monthly should be (negotiating MF down to base rate and maintaining same selling price):

Pre-Tax Payment = $436.16
Total cost of lease = $17,130.36

Overall, you're overpaying by about $800 for that money factor adjustment. I'd negotiate that down and look to hold all other parts of the deal in tact and you should get a great car and great price.

#4 ·
Thanks guys - good information

Yes, it is a sedan. It is an order, but not an ED.

Perhaps this info would help: The $584 oop is my first payment (498) and docs & fees ($87).

There is no security deposit written into the lease. I don't know what the acq fee is, but I seem to remember that $625 was on the sticker. The salesman said that the dealership picks up the cost of registration & lic (which is super cheap here, maybe $55). Tax in these parts is 6.75%

Does that change anyone's mind?

#5 ·
Pricing should be better on a sedan than a coupe.

Here is the lowdown on Security Deposits (SD) with BMW. If you are a current BMWFS (BMW Financial Services) client, then there is not an increase in MF. However, if you are not a current BMWFS client, then there is a .00015 bump up on your MF. However, if you put down 1 SD, that .00015 is waived. Now, you can also add up to 7 additional SD's in order to lower your cap cost and your MF and thus lower your payment. These 7 SD's are fully refundable in any case including an accident where your car is totaled (you would lose your down payment in this case). Each SD lowers your MF by .00007, so 7 lowers it by .0049.

The acquistion of $625 is standard, but look at your paperwork as the dealer can increase it to $825 and thus add $200 profit.

#6 ·
Instead of trying to get the MF down only to see some other fee pop up, try to negotiate on the total cost of the lease (the only thing that matters, obviously). Tell him the cost as it stands is X, which is about $800 more than you are willing to spend. Let him play with the numbers however he wants. Lowering profit above invoice or MF or whatever, what do you care? Shave $800 off that offer and you'll have yourself an good deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.