BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Platinum Gray or Black

17K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  fchen0125 
#1 ·
Platinum owners ... how do you guys like the color ? I am deciding between PG or SB on the new 2011 x5. I was afraid of PG looking dull on the road

#2 ·
Haven't seen platinum gray around... but we have sapphire black. Looks good when clean... but a major PIA to keep clean.

#3 ·
Yeah, My last bmw was SB .. you can't go wrong with Black. I loved the Platinum Gray color when I saw it in the NYC auto show ... but that's under showroom lights , I saw a lot of SUV (Lexus, MDX ) in gray color and they don't look that good compare to black ... but they are different gray of course

#4 ·
Had a sapphire black 530......fantastic looking.....but waaaaay toooo much work keeping it looking that way.......when we replaced the 530 with a 535, went with plat. grey......much easier to keep up....and looks very classy.......but still a lot of effort to keep up, minimizing swirls, etc, so when I bought my X5D, I went with space grey....and love it. Much easier to maintain. Still shines, but not like the SB or PG, but color is very forgiving.

#7 ·
I have a Space Grey and think it is much better than SB. Any black color look gorgeous when it is clean, but it is clean only 5 minutes after you washed it, then it is covered with dust. Dust is barely seen on Space Grey. Also, knowing that in any german cars rims are easily gets dirty, dirty rims looks much better with Space Grey than with any other color.
So, in case you cannot wash your X too often, rims and X color compliment each other.

#9 ·
2002Dinan5 ... great car ... that definitely boost my confidence in PG !! Thanks other for recommendation of Space Gray... my friend has a SG 328 and it always looks clean .... but I think Dark color car really catches attention when is clean and looks much better especial on SUVs

#12 ·
bigrobb2 thanks. I already saw your post before and looked at many other photos of PG on the internet. I was interested in real life experience of PG owners ...

I haven't seeing any PG x5 on the road, but have been paying attention to other Gray color SUVs .. (Lexus, MDX etc. ...) and they don't look that good , they look very dull to me ... . of course BMW paint are different ...

#13 · (Edited)
bigrobb2 thanks. I already saw your post before and looked at many other photos of PG on the internet. I was interested in real life experience of PG owners ...

I haven't seeing any PG x5 on the road, but have been paying attention to other Gray color SUVs .. (Lexus, MDX etc. ...) and they don't look that good , they look very dull to me ... . of course BMW paint are different ...
Yes they are definitely different, not close enough to compare. The other brands are closer to a true grey than BMW's.

PG will be a really popular color 70% of the LCI's I see are in this color, so I don't expect it to be exclusive for long.

#15 ·
I'm going for silver myself... the SP and PG have gotten so popular, it's actually rare to see a LCI silver around these parts. I don't want to worry about swirls anymore, I can even see them on my space gray in the sun...

#16 ·
So I went in to the dealer today in hopes to see a Platinum Gray x5 , I didn't but I saw plenty of PG 5 series there .... and I was veryyyyy disappointed at the color ... it was very dull and has this greenish gray look to it. I am glade I went check it out .... I think my choice now is Sapphire black for sure . if I chose gray , I would chose Space Gray over PG .... ...

#18 · (Edited)
bigrobb2 I agree that under proper lights the PG looks great , like when I saw it in the car show ..... but I don't want a color that only looks good under certain lights ... and I personally hate the green tint that it shows some time.... it was a cloudy day today ... and PG just looks very flat to me. I would say for ones that are considering PG to look at the color in person and under different light conditions ....

#19 ·
but I don't want a color that only looks good under certain lights .......
I meant proper lighting. A cloudy day produces a color cast that makes most colors look dull. I definitely agree with the green tint, but at times it also has a blue tint, and it also looks straight gray. I guess that's what makes it an interesting color to me.

Hey but you can can't go wrong with Black. Good luck:thumbup:

#21 ·
rufnck - this photo, which you previously posted in another thread, helped us pull the trigger on choosing PG "sight unseen." We saw several other photos and read comments from others too before choosing. We've since seen a color swatch which appears much darker...like dark charcoal which has my husband freaked out a little because he doesn't want the headache of keeping a black car looking good. Not much we can do about it now because our car in in production and scheduled for completion tomorrow. A little piece of mind wouldn't hurt though. Thanks.

#22 ·
Always remember you don't have to take delivery of the vehicle. I ordered an Imola Red / Imola Red M3 in 2006 and started freaking out while it was being built and delivered. The dealer told me that if it arrived and I was not pleased with it I did not have to take delivery of it.

Needless to say when it arrived I kept it but tell your husband he can always just say NO when it comes in.

Good luck!

#29 ·
Always remember you don't have to take delivery of the vehicle. I ordered an Imola Red / Imola Red M3 in 2006 and started freaking out while it was being built and delivered. The dealer told me that if it arrived and I was not pleased with it I did not have to take delivery of it.

Needless to say when it arrived I kept it but tell your husband he can always just say NO when it comes in.

Good luck!
Thank you JC; I sure hope it doesn't come to that, but it's a nice assurance. Thanks for the reminder there are always options!

#24 · (Edited)
My friend has a SG 4.8i, when I park my truck next to his X5, it's not even close; PG is more vibrant and "sporty".
I found that space grey hides dirt a little better because it's more of a dull look (PG does a good job too if it weren't for the 20"s)
I also have a grey MDX and must say I am extremely happy with the PG.
I am out of town for the next few days, but if it will help I can take photos of my PG parked next to the SG and/or next to my wifes grey MDX when I get home.
Let me know.

#25 ·
My partner has a SG 4.8i, when I park my truck next to his X5, it's not even close; PG is more vibrant and "sporty".
I found that space grey hides dirt a little better because it's more of a dull look (PG does a good job too if it weren't for the 20"s)
I also have a grey MDX and must say I am extremely happy with the PG.
I am out of town for the next few days, but if it will help I can take photos of my PG parked next to the SG and/or next to my wifes grey MDX when I get home.
Let me know.
My dad and I got X5s on sat. I went with the 50i him the diesel. Love both cars, he went with the space gray. I was so set on black, until I saw some pictures here. It's got that vibrant color during the day yet looks dark at night. But to each their own.....the pics would be awesome!

#31 ·
So I just came back from Rallye BMW and there they have all colors of the new x5 ... I must have spend an hour there just staring at different colors of the x5 trying to decide which color to go with .. and I have again confirm that PG just isn't the color for me , its unique at first but doesn't have that long lasting look and most of the time its very dull to me and today was a sunny day :) . They had three X5 right next to each other waiting for owners to take delivery , it was Black, Deep Sea Blue and Alpine White. All three of them have Cinnamon Brown (which is what I am going to order as well) and the color definitely looks good. After seeing the PG on x5 in person I have decided to go with Black Sapphire but Deep Sea Blue is not a bad choice ... but since we already have a blue car probably stay with SB. ..

Attachments

#36 ·
Thank you, thank you, and thank you! :clap:

I have been in doubts regarding my color choice during past few weeks since you cannot see DSB X5 on the lots yet (in my area) and it was sort of gamble. There is not that many pictures of this color on the web (in natural lighting). It is most useful to see this color X5 side-by-side with SB.
I like the DSB on your pictures, so it just eases the pain while I am waiting to see my new X5 on delivery day, hopefully in the middle of August. In case you have some more pics of DSB, please, PM me. Thx.

Good luck with your purchase!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.