BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

So You Just Bought an E60

228K views 367 replies 135 participants last post by  banglenot 
#1 · (Edited)
New here? Read this! Really. Set down your beer and read it.

New Here? December 9, 2017: At the bottom of this post is a pdf document. Read it first.

Version 4.4 of "So You Just Bought an E60". Note that new items (but not typos and so forth) will be highlighted in grey in new editions.

What's new: Walnut Blast need and issues; Good tutorials at Pelican Parts and Bavarian Auto, a link for latest TIS advisories, a comment on regulators, mileage rollback, and an updated viewpoint on serpentine belt failure. Rewrote the section about parts sources.

Thanks to all for finding typos etc. Please comment if you have additional ideas.

Goal is to summarize most of the issues and comments for the new, less experienced E60 owners or potential buyers who are showing up.

Work in process, and it will get additions/changes. Edited versions will always appear in this message.

Thanks to Jgalon, legend700, HF, schpenxel, pcy, bmwoem1, cvshaw, gangplank, 850Csi, TSM35 and many, many more for their contributions and suggestions. Since the downloads count resets for each new edition, there's been about 31,800 :)wow::wow::thumbup::thumbup:) up through V 4.3. Seems to be helping someone out there... :thumbup:

We hope it helps you as well.

And, since it's a critical difference between what ZF and BMW say, here's a link to the ZF fluid change procedure and schedule. Hint: it's a whole lot less than BMW's "lifetime" nonsense. I'll cc it into the doc later. Thanks to Bud B for the link.

https://youtu.be/ZRrgmfM8VlQ

Attachments

See less See more
#124 ·
Folks, you'll get much better response if you start a thread in the main forum.

Banglenot

#129 ·
This is an amazing document. Thank you so much, banglenot!

I'm now around here having just purchased a 2008 E61 535xi a couple of months ago. I've found a good independent mechanic that specializes in German luxury cars and I'm going to go over some of the items on this doc. Having just had a service done at 60k I wish I'd known about the ZF fluid and filter earlier, but I'll go back and have it done this month now that I know.

#130 ·
I would like to propose the addition of an E61-specific section in the next revision!

Common issues

1) Panorama Roof Drains (rear drains easily get clogged due to valves at the end; can result in leaks and potentially cause extremely expensive to repair water damage to low-mounted electronics in rear. When buying, make sure to check for signs of water/water damage to modules in trunk/spare tire well. Supposedly easy to resolve by removing the valves)

2) Rear Self-Leveling Suspension Compressor Failure (Particularly an issue on pre-LCI cars; among other issues, compressor intake hose is liable to crack, which can eventually destroy the compressor as it sucks in debris and dirt. Check for error codes and assess whether compressor properly lifts car when weight is applied in the rear. Good idea to fix prophylactically if the old-style hose is present)

3) Tailgate Wiring Issues (tailgate wiring harness can become worn over time leading to frayed wires? I don't know as much about this issue)

4) Tailgate Window Switch (don't know much about this)

5) Diversity Module (also called Diversity Amp/Amplifier or Antenna; very common failure point. Symptoms of diversity module issues include, among other things, bad FM reception, short or nonexistence key remote range, iDrive failure to save radio presets and other settings. Basically, the module is located in a supposedly waterproof black 'box' inside the rear spoiler. In fact, the box does not seem up to the task and even later TSBs and revisions don't seem to conclusively resolve this issue. The module itself is a ~$300 part and is easy to replace if it's completely dead; sometimes it can be fixed by cleaning corrosion with 90%+ isopropyl. Might not be a bad idea for a new owner to check it out prophylactically)

(thanks in part to the users over at 5series.net)

#133 ·
You're very welcome, just trying to help out.

One clarification for XI models re: control arm bushings/ball joints. This is probably just the non-gearhead in me speaking, but the guide says:

Advantage of new arm is a new ball joint at the same time as the bushing (for the 5XXi; the Four Wheel drive control arm does not have a ball joint on it)
I think what it means to say is that the ball joint in the AWD models is a separate part from the tension arm and can be done independently. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this)

compare:

(xi, look at #12)

with:

(RWD, look at 11 and 15)

#134 ·
You're very welcome, just trying to help out.

One clarification for XI models re: control arm bushings/ball joints. This is probably just the non-gearhead in me speaking, but the guide says:

snip

I think what it means to say is that the ball joint in the AWD models is a separate part from the tension arm and can be done independently. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this)

snip
You're correct, of course. I'll fix it next time around.

#136 ·
air intermittent

I've checked the forum and haven't really been able to find an answer. I have a 2007 530xi with about 90K on it. When the air works, it comes out real cold and no problems. When it doesn't work, all I seem to get is luke warm air. It doesn't matter how long I drive the car. When it's not working, it seems to blow nice cold air for a few minutes then back to warm air. It seems to occur most often when the temp is 85 degrees plus if that helps. I'm pretty handy with a wrench but don't know much about air-conditioning. All I really see what what seems to be a sensor on one of the lines, that's about it and I don't know how to check it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

#137 ·
I've checked the forum and haven't really been able to find an answer. I have a 2007 530xi with about 90K on it. When the air works, it comes out real cold and no problems. When it doesn't work, all I seem to get is luke warm air. It doesn't matter how long I drive the car. When it's not working, it seems to blow nice cold air for a few minutes then back to warm air. It seems to occur most often when the temp is 85 degrees plus if that helps. I'm pretty handy with a wrench but don't know much about air-conditioning. All I really see what what seems to be a sensor on one of the lines, that's about it and I don't know how to check it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I was experiencing this and felt like an idiot when I found out someone had adjusted the temperature override in iDrive to full hot. Placing it back to neutral solved the problem.

#139 ·
Hi
I have a tinny rattling noise coming from under the 530i 2007. Took it to Kwikfit and he said there was a slight rattling from the catalytic converter.
He said not to worry for now. The noise is occasional but irritating.
The car has 86700 miles.
Is this normal?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#141 ·
Hi
I have a tinny rattling noise coming from under the 530i 2007. Took it to Kwikfit and he said there was a slight rattling from the catalytic converter.
He said not to worry for now. The noise is occasional but irritating.
The car has 86700 miles.
Is this normal?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Wrong place to get specifics answered.

#143 ·
Hi - First time poster. Recently purchased the 2010 535i xdrive (manual). I've been lurking around the forums for about a month to see what you guys talk about. That led me down an endless path of questions which ultimately had an answer hidden within the thousands of threads. I completed my first update today, which was to install a Sirius module. Many thanks to all you guys and to the guys at BimmerTech who helped complete my install. Highly recommend these guys for the Sirius update. It took one week to complete the installation from the time I first contacted them.

BimmerTech: Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net

#145 ·
Thanks for making the PDF file!

Already reaping the benefits of the forum... Taking delivery next week and having the dealer put some fresh kicks on my 09 535i Xdrive Sedan. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 seems to be the favorite for all season driving from the thread I found.

#146 ·
Thanks for making the PDF file!

Already reaping the benefits of the forum... Taking delivery next week and having the dealer put some fresh kicks on my 09 535i Xdrive Sedan. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 seems to be the favorite for all season driving from the thread I found.

#147 ·
QUESTION i just read through the transmission oil part and it pretty much somes it up as "you should change your transmission oil." I'm at 90K right now.. how and what would be the best way to change the oil? Full flush and filter change? or take out the oil and top it off by mixing the oil that is left over and the new transmission oil??

#148 ·
There are several threads on changing the fluid and filter.

Check them out for the details.

At 90K, it's past time.

#151 ·
With the recent "New to me Owners" this might be good to add to the so you just bought write up...

Service Schedule for E60
Oil Service every 5,000 miles (BMW says 15,000 between Inspections but oil is cheap, motors are expensive)
Brake Fluid Flush every 2 years
Coolant Flush every 2 years
Power Steering Flush every 3 years
Inspection I every 30,000 miles
Inspection II every 60,000 miles + transmission fluid change w/ pan

#152 ·
Great summary, and I'll add it with the "lurkers" post in the next edition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.