BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

So You Just Bought an E60

228K views 367 replies 135 participants last post by  banglenot 
#1 · (Edited)
New here? Read this! Really. Set down your beer and read it.

New Here? December 9, 2017: At the bottom of this post is a pdf document. Read it first.

Version 4.4 of "So You Just Bought an E60". Note that new items (but not typos and so forth) will be highlighted in grey in new editions.

What's new: Walnut Blast need and issues; Good tutorials at Pelican Parts and Bavarian Auto, a link for latest TIS advisories, a comment on regulators, mileage rollback, and an updated viewpoint on serpentine belt failure. Rewrote the section about parts sources.

Thanks to all for finding typos etc. Please comment if you have additional ideas.

Goal is to summarize most of the issues and comments for the new, less experienced E60 owners or potential buyers who are showing up.

Work in process, and it will get additions/changes. Edited versions will always appear in this message.

Thanks to Jgalon, legend700, HF, schpenxel, pcy, bmwoem1, cvshaw, gangplank, 850Csi, TSM35 and many, many more for their contributions and suggestions. Since the downloads count resets for each new edition, there's been about 31,800 :)wow::wow::thumbup::thumbup:) up through V 4.3. Seems to be helping someone out there... :thumbup:

We hope it helps you as well.

And, since it's a critical difference between what ZF and BMW say, here's a link to the ZF fluid change procedure and schedule. Hint: it's a whole lot less than BMW's "lifetime" nonsense. I'll cc it into the doc later. Thanks to Bud B for the link.

https://youtu.be/ZRrgmfM8VlQ

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks!

Please comment. Note that I'm updating it as I get comments, so check the release level.

#4 ·
As I go through it, I'll make comments on the actual PDF. I won't have much to add as far as actual content since I don't own one... yet, but I'll give recommendations based on what I would want as a prospective buyer/new owner.

#5 ·
banglenot:
Thanks for doing this.
Just skimmed through your PDF and find it very informative with good advice.
The "Codes" section mentions the BMWhat app. for iPhone and iPad, but is also available for Android.

#8 ·
Thanks for the post. Great to know what will need to be replaced or fixed in the future. Had a question though, on the items to fix "going forward", a lot of them seem like they need to be fixed or replaced around the 60k mark, so would that also mean it would need to be fixed or replaced again around the 120k mark? Cause I'm planning on driving mine till the wheels fall off :D

#10 · (Edited)
60K is fairly arbitrary as a midpoint to what we're seeing as used cars here. Figuring 10K per year, a 07 (the midpoint of 04-10 production) will have 60K by now.

Others will have more or less. Figuring 50-70 as the range that these need ZF fluid replaced, and the bushing in the upper control arms begin to go, and plugs need to be replaced -- seems like a reasonable assumption for both age/mileage and initial wearing out of some longer term items.

If you keep it for another 60K, the assumption is that you'll get to know it well and will change the fluids regularly while not beating on it. Brakes, shocks and some steering gear will wear out.

If maintained, the ZF could last awhile with perhaps only another pan/fluid change -- but a set of actuators could be needed as well.

Higher probability of water pump and thermostat replacement. Possible alternator, since there are internal wear parts in that unit.

Higher probability of vacuum-related problems, since the vacuum lines were known to be brittle due to heat.

Figure coolant hoses around 120-130K. Possible fuel filter replacement.

That's why these cars want DIY later in life, rather than becoming dealer queens.

All in, figure $1K/year maintenance, less if you DIY, more if you Indy, lots more if you Dealer it.

#9 ·
Looks great.

Here's my couple suggestions:

1. Consider linking the wiki page on the actual document.
2. We should ask everyone to put the three criteria in their sigs (model, manufactured date, engine)
3. Do we have step by steps for each of the processes for the maintenance floating around? If we do, we should link those too.

If you created this in word, I can make the hyper link edits.

#11 · (Edited)
JG, pm me with your email address and I'll forward the word doc to you. Suggest all hyperlinks go into a last-page footnote list, to make them easy to fix over time. I'll add links to the Bav Auto vids, as well.

#13 ·
Thanks for compiling this.

Please add a section something like "I bought E60, I want to add more HP". Some engines will produce more HP without spending a whole lot of money while others aren't that easy/impractical. M54 engine vs. N52 from HP upgrade perspective, etc...

#14 ·
I'd like to, but don't know much about it. Feel like donating a paragraph or two?

#17 ·
If I have to identify single area where lots of problems seem to be coming from... that would be crankcase ventilation system and oil separator. Malfunctioning CCV and/or oil separator can cause lots of problems. I would just add that to preventive maintenance section. That's what I did on my N52 engine. Just replaced the oil separator and related hoses while I had the manifold off for replacing the starter.

#19 ·
Thanks! Always glad to add sections (535 anyone?) where I don't have much experience. Full credit for additions---

#20 ·
Greetings everyone, this is actually my first post and I wanted to add a thing or two that I ran into so far. I have owned my 2010 535i x for about 5 months now and had a bunch of problems that I'm amazed it had when I bought it. I think the previous owner(lease) beat it to hell. I bought it with 85k miles. I found a cracked valve cover between cylinder 2+3, according to the dealer a couple of cracked vacuum lines and a bad injector that resulted in all injectors having to be changed.

When I had the valve cover off I was amazed at the amount of debris, such as dried, caked oil inside the engine. It wasnt as clean as I expected it to be. I had a 00 mercedes e320 that I did the valve cover gasket on and the engine was emmaculate compared to my 4 yr old 535i. Hopefully with a couple of more frequent oil changes the gunk will get cleaned out. I also read changing the oil filter inbetween changes is a good idea.

#21 ·
Greetings everyone, this is actually my first post and I wanted to add a thing or two that I ran into so far. I have owned my 2010 535i x for about 5 months now and had a bunch of problems that I'm amazed it had when I bought it. I think the previous owner(lease) beat it to hell. I bought it with 85k miles. I found a cracked valve cover between cylinder 2+3, according to the dealer a couple of cracked vacuum lines and a bad injector that resulted in all injectors having to be changed.

When I had the valve cover off I was amazed at the amount of debris, such as dried, caked oil inside the engine. It wasnt as clean as I expected it to be. I had a 00 mercedes e320 that I did the valve cover gasket on and the engine was emmaculate compared to my 4 yr old 535i. Hopefully with a couple of more frequent oil changes the gunk will get cleaned out. I also read changing the oil filter inbetween changes is a good idea.
Interesting. Any pics?

#25 ·
Perhaps it's the pics, but the top end looks pretty good. Some look awful, with condensed gunk stuck to many surfaces. This looks about the same color as others I've seen, with a coating of slightly discolored but certainly fluid oil throughout. There's oil around the plug holes, but that's not unusual either. Since the dealer had the cover off, I assume he replaced the gaskets with new ones.

Agree that a couple of oil changes should illuminate matters.

#26 · (Edited)
banglenot,

My first time seeing this posting and this is an amazing assemblage of information. Thank you. Reading the section on the ZF trans would be incentive alone for an after-market warranty. I'm not sure what experience others may have had, but does anyone have a recommended company to go with? Experiences or issues in particular?

My '08 550i was purchased in 2011 with an extended warranty and so far it's paid for itself. Cost about $3500 and covered well over $5000 in repairs. Oh, yeah, the Run Flats are also under warranty.

#30 ·
banglenot,

My first time seeing this posting and this is an amazing assemblage of information. Thank you. Reading the section on the ZF trans would be incentive alone for an after-market warranty. I'm not sure what experience others may have had, but does anyone have a recommended company to go with? Experiences or issues in particular?

My '08 550i was purchased in 2011 with an extended warranty and so far it's paid for itself. Cost about $3500 and covered well over $5000 in repairs. Oh, yeah, the Run Flats are also under warranty.
I have seen route66 mentioned a lot on here--lots of good things. Seems they pay when they're supposed to and aren't a pain to deal with

#27 ·
Scheiß, I just realized my sig tag is way out of date.

#28 ·
Oh I didn't get that done at the dealer. I wouldn't have been able to get those pics let alone walk out with my pants on. I had my indy do it for me. They wanted almost 1600+ and they were supposedly cutting me a deal. The new valve cover comes with a new gasket and all the required bolts

#29 ·
Bangle, very nice. Let me get in on some info for the 550i LCI section...

#32 ·
So You Just Bought an E60...

I personally have Fidelity Platinum (an exclusionary plan) which has at or more coverage than BMW extended warranty/CPO. One of the few exclusionary plans (rather that inclusionary plans that don't cover what you need them to cover).

Definitely worth checking out.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#35 · (Edited)
None documented as such. Just that all the intervals imply normal/typical use of a sedan with an engine that is built to cruise at 130 mph all day. If you beat on it, change stuff faster...:)

Oh, yes; If you use it for short trips, or use it once a week or so, that's also hard on the car. Change the oil more often. Also, need to take it out and get the engine nice and hot at higher revs once in awhile. That's done by cruising at 60-70 in third gear for 10 minutes, to get it to 5K rpm for awhile.

Bangle,

Thanks for including the sunroof drainage issue in the document. However, I would add the following fact: the rear sunroof drain tubes are capped with rubber flapper valves, exacerbating the clogging problem, and that these can be removed without discernible harm.
Thanks!. I'll be more specific next edition.:thumbup:

#37 ·
Well, I know the N52 and pretty much everything about the 525-530 and some of the 535. Also can cover the universal stuff. But I'm very weak on the 545-550, and the specialized stuff like the SMG. I try to steer clear of things I haven't done myself, though I'll add what's been done so well by others (like schpenxel's work on the ZF actuators) that I can put it in the doc with some credibility.

I'd welcome a paragraph or two on the subject, and I'm glad to give full credit for added items.

#39 ·
Damn! Nothing like the little things adding up.... Any further details, like DIY possibilities/methods/vids and symptoms of failure?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.