BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E60 Front Subframe Aluminum weld failure. Fix it or replace it?

8K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  thepresenceon2 
#1 ·
Hey Guys. I just can't believe what happened to my car.

I love my 550i, but I'm seriously thinking about selling it. How can this happen, really???!!!

Auto part Wheel

Background:

I took my car for a spirited ride yesterday night. Nothing major, just some fun on some curvy roads nearby. Can I blame myself for doing that on a BMW? I don't think so.

I felt a loud knock coming from the front of the car and took it easy until I got home. I went ahead a grab my flashlight to see that...

Now, can that be safely fixed? Or should I replace the entire frame?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

See less See more
#2 ·
Check out the following thead. A forum member was successful in fabricating a replacement bracket and getting it welded on. It's hard to tell from your picture but maybe all you need to do is find a welder who an work with aluminum.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745813

#3 ·
Hey Guys. I just can't believe what happened to my car.

I love my 550i, but I'm seriously thinking about selling it. How can this happen, really???!!!

View attachment 429369

Background:

I took my car for a spirited ride yesterday night. Nothing major, just some fun on some curvy roads nearby. Can I blame myself for doing that on a BMW? I don't think so.

I felt a loud knock coming from the front of the car and took it easy until I got home. I went ahead a grab my flashlight to see that...

Now, can that be safely fixed? Or should I replace the entire frame?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
You can safely re weld the bottom of the bracket if it not cracked . The top bolt is what really holds it all in place cause the top bolt of the bracket screws to the sub frame. If you broke the bracket it's easy to make an exact copy and re weld it . I fixed mine years ago and it's been a ok . Not a single problem with the fix . I run my car really hard on my mountain drives and it's held up great . Like toad said get a certified aluminum welder to weld it for you . Let me know if u have any questions or concerns .

#5 · (Edited)
Quality help in this forum. I appreciate it so much.

I'll take the car to a professional aluminum welder tomorrow, is it safe to drive the car for 10 miles?
yes .. I actually drove mine broken for a week or two before I fixed it. The top bolt goes thru the braket and screwed to the sub frame the bottom bolt is pressed into that little bracket plate. Just dont drive it hard it might make a clonk when u turn all the way moving foreword , you'll be fine for 10 miles .

#6 ·
After this weld is done, is there a bolt and nut at the top of that bracket that secures it also... If so, what size is it?

#7 ·
Yes, this top bolt.. Mine apparently fell out after the original weld broke.. Trying to find the size on real oem is proving to be a little elusive...

#9 · (Edited)
Take the bolt out from the other side and match a nut for it... That bolt didn't just fall out ... The impact force most likely pulled the bolt out stripped the threads on the nut . The nut has a clip that holds it in place , looks like it would be a bitch to get a new nut and clip back in there ...

#10 ·
Ended up realizing the welds sheared off.. And the sway bar(adjustable and expensive) was held on by the one on the drivers side. The bracket was good so ended up getting it welded back on to the subframe and the other good side, also reinforced. The sway bar seems to have survived without any damage, thankfully. I've been hearing a few noises and on a recent dealer visit for a unrelated issue they had braid 8 needed new struts. Basically I think they didn't open the undercarriage cover to look there, but it was in for issues unrelated to the suspension so I'm guessing that's why it was a cursory look... Car feels great now. Weird sounds are gone. Other aspects of suspension including struts look and feel good. Once I'm not striking I'll probably update components, but none seem necessary now at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.