BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

So is the general feeling that you shouldn't own a BMW out of warranty?

42K views 368 replies 81 participants last post by  Rover 
#1 ·
I've been lurking for awhile and more often than not people have said that owning a BMW outside of warranty is a bad idea. I've owned Japanese cars all of my life and I'm spoiled by their reliability. I love a fun driving car as much as the next guy. I also fall in love with my cars and tend to hold on to them.

However, I absolutely hate having to take time out of my day to deal with automotive repairs. I'm assuming that warning against owning outside of warranty is due to the fact that there will be more than a few repairs to deal with.

(Patiently awaiting BJ's condescending remarks :p).

#334 ·
If low maintenance is your only or main measure of value then buy Honda Civics. If you want performance, then the BMW 5 Series is usually the most reliable of the European performance cars - WAY better than Audi / VW, more and more better as times goes on, than the dwindling number of remotely affordable Mercedes models that offer performance. I'm surprised by the many who say $2 - $3K annually for maintenance, our 1987 E28 averages about $800 and our admittedly newer 1998 E39 has averaged about $450 yet in both cases mechanics always comment on the excellent condition of both vehicles. Having said that, unfortunately right now the 5 Series BMWs are all total lemons in the reliability and longevity of their drive systems. I'll also say that all the mechanics I've used say to never keep a 3 series once out of warranty unless you do a lot of your own work. Hope BMW gets its act back together on the 5 series before I need to buy a car again.

#352 ·
My feeling is a wise man knows what they have - or are buying. I personally wouldn't consider buying a used BMW that I didn't have an intimate knowledge of how it was maintained and cared for, that wasn't under warranty.

That said, buying a used BMW [or continueing to drive both of mine] from someone that is as anal as I am about my cars and has records as concise as mine are, that show no unexpected issues, woudln't be a problem for me.

I firmly believe BMW is a quality car and will retain that quality with proper upkeep and maintenance.

#369 ·
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. If you are driving a a 3 series (not an M)...you should be experiencing much less in expenses. Take it from a guy who has had two 3 series....with combined mileage over 250,000 miles. Also note Consumer Reports' recent stellar reliability ratings for the 328.

#354 · (Edited)
I bought a used 2004 530i with 68K, and now I'm at 89K.

So far I have done:

1)Replaced front control arms (both top and bottom) - I was having a brake shimmy problem. I didn't need to replace my low control arm, but did it anyway due to the mileage of my car.

2)Fixed DISA with Repair and Upgrade kit from German Auto Solutions - My DISA was non-functioning.

3)Replaced Dual Vanos with Dr. Vanos kit - My Vanos system was rattling loud.

4)Replaced CCV system - Preventive replacement.

5)Changed Spark plug - Preventive replacement.

6)Changed out oil filter housing gasket - Mine was leaking.

7)Changed out Brake pads

Other than what I mentioned, minus regular scheduled maintenance, it has been a great dependable car.

#357 ·
I've never owned a BMW (or any car for that matter) *in* warranty. My Z3M is nearing 140k.

The general feeling is, don't buy a BMW you can't afford, used, out of warranty.

If you buy it used and can easily afford it, you'll have money on hand if anything goes wrong. It's always a tradeoff, but I have a hard time imagining a used BMW where you spend more every month on repairs than you spent buying it, unless you're buying some beat salvage title E39 M5 or something.

If you buy an F30 new and plan to keep it for a long time -- why not? By the time it's paid for and out of warranty, again, you'll have plenty of free money to deal with any issues that might come up.

#359 ·
I've heard the lower series cars are actually much more reliable. I know a lot of the v8 engines cost more to keep running , burn oil etc.

I've got some faith in BMW. Parents have had 3 and none have give them any major problems . I think one a power window motor died. And my dads 2004 x3 only thing that's ever gone wrong was he had to replace the ac compressor after 7 years. He's finally swelling it after 135k miles and bought a 2013 x3 to replace it. I'm hoping my luck is the same with my first BMW. Two months in no problems so far!

#364 ·
WRT to the OP's header: my intention when "buying" a BMW is that I will keep it until it dies, regardless of warranty so long as it remains reliable. We kept our 318i for over 20 years. It didn't die, but it was time to sell it. We sold our 325i after only 10 years with less than 70k miles, because it did not occur to me: first, moving outside of a non-SULEV friendly state made you ineligible for the extended emissions warranty; second, that the SULEV had a sealed gas tank where the fuel pump is housed, making for a major repair around 10-15 yr mark (approx considering the extended emissions warranty is 15/150k) out of warranty. I supposed we could have kept it for another 5 years betting that the emissions related parts like the fuel pump would last as long as the warranty period, but with money being nearly free these days to borrow (we normally pay cash, but it is nearly free these days at .5%) and the incentives being offered, we let it go. If not for the SULEV crap, we would have most assuredly had the car for at least another 10 years since the car did not have any major or medium issues and it was just damn reliable. It sucked getting rid of it, my wife was rather sad actually. Our 3 year old 335D and our new 328xi will remain with us hopefully for a very long time, but again we will gauge it depending on how reliable they remain.

There are lemons in every car maker's fleet, but we've been fortunate to have gotten reliable cars. This doesn't mean regular maintenance doesn't cost, it does; however, I think people who cannot afford something have a tendency to let things slide like a little leak or something just for the ownership. We aren't that way. We understand that owning a BMW has its expense, and even if our indie mechanic says it's only a small leak or it can wait, we don't let it wait.

#365 ·
I had to ditch my 2004 X5 with 90K miles on it because the repair costs had become equal to what I'd be paying monthly for a new car with all the new technology. boltjaM3s makes some valid, if somewhat snobbish, points about being in a luxury car. I plan on spending $800 a month either on payments or repairs so I might as well be driving a new one. Plus--and this I can not emphasize enough--the chicks dig it.

"cheating their way into the roundel" is a keeper.

#366 · (Edited)
I've been lurking for awhile and more often than not people have said that owning a BMW outside of warranty is a bad idea. I've owned Japanese cars all of my life and I'm spoiled by their reliability. I love a fun driving car as much as the next guy. I also fall in love with my cars and tend to hold on to them.

However, I absolutely hate having to take time out of my day to deal with automotive repairs. I'm assuming that warning against owning outside of warranty is due to the fact that there will be more than a few repairs to deal with.

(Patiently awaiting BJ's condescending remarks :p).
Here is something to ponder. I've owned two 3 series...with both 'well over' 100,000 miles. My expenses beyond the warranty period would not justify buying the extended program. Note...the recent consumer report...gives the 3 series the top reliability rating...along with the Honda Accord 4 cylinder.

But, with a new turbo 4 engine....'maybe' an extended warranty might be worth it...if only to offset the worry factor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.