BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Removing Battery During Storage?

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rmorin49 
#1 ·
The late model BMWs don't allow for easy removal and disconnection of the battery due to the complex electronics. What about the E24? I will probably not drive my car for several months so I would like to remove the battery and place it on a Battery Tender for the winter months. The garage that I use for storage doesn't have any electricity so I can't use the Battery Tender while the battery is in the car. Will I have any issues other than resetting the radio station presets? Thanks.

#3 ·
Not going to drive your newly acquired E24? The battery is extremely accessible and switching them in and out will be no problem at all. Setting the OBC is a little tricky the first few times you have to do it, but after that, you will be able to do it in your sleep. Most of the time, all I really want to work is the clock :D, since it stays on all the time.

#4 ·
I do plan to drive it on nice days but if the weather gurus are correct, they are predicting a cold and snowy winter for the eastern US, thus the car could sit for weeks without being driven. I hope to be able to install an outlet in the garage I am renting as it has lights but no outlet for a Battery Tender.

#7 ·
Battery removal

I don't recommend that you remove the battery for too long as the rechargable backup battery in the dashboard service indicator circuit board will drain out and you most likely will then have to replace the service indicator circuit board, This is not the easiest job for a novice.

#8 ·
I don't recommend that you remove the battery for too long as the rechargable backup battery in the dashboard service indicator circuit board will drain out and you most likely will then have to replace the service indicator circuit board, This is not the easiest job for a novice.
Thanks, I hope I can get permission from the garage owner to install an outlet in the garage so I can use a Battery Tender.

#9 ·
The late model BMWs don't allow for easy removal and disconnection of the battery due to the complex electronics. What about the E24 aftermarket parts? I will probably not drive my car for several months so I would like to remove the battery and place it on a Battery Tender for the winter months. The garage that I use for storage doesn't have any electricity so I can't use the Battery Tender while the battery is in the car. Will I have any issues other than resetting the radio station presets? Thanks.
I see your in MD and yup, they're going to get hit nasty in the Montgomery Country area. Horrible for a nice e24

#10 ·
If the weather service is right, we are supposed to be in for a colder and wetter(snow) than usual. The owner has provided an outlet for my Battery Tender so I am all set.

I took the car out today for the first time, drove about 120 miles to a Street Survival School sponsored by the local BMWCCA chapter. Car drove like a dream and I got 22.7 mpg cruising at 65 mph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.