BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Dinan performance numbers

9K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  ngraz617 
#1 ·
I have searched but have really not come up with much. Are there any performance numbers out for the 750Li w/xdrive?
<O:p</O:p
Also, if one were to add he software update (approx $3,500) for a leased vehicle, would the dealer give any type of credit when the car was turned in?

#5 ·
Well, I guess I will try to negotiate the best I can with the dealer and see what kind of price I can get. I will let everyone know the best price I can get. Not a fan of putting too much money into a leased vehicle when I won't get anything in return.

#6 ·
Are you serious? You're increasing wear&tear on the engine, tranny, brakes, etc by means of performance tuning, and you want the dealer to pay you something for that?
You should be happy if they don't charge you extra for the mod. The car doesn't belong to you. They have to sell it after you turn it back, so would they be interested in selling a car that's been tuned? No serious buyer wants to buy a car that's been tuned by someone else. And Dinan's warranty or not - it doesn't void the extra wear&tear.

#15 ·
BMW would not be indorsing the Dinan tune if there were a "material" amount of wear and tear on the engine. I doubt very seriously that there is any significant wear and tear difference. Anybody shopped for a used ZR1, Porsche, Lamborghini and said "no thanks, I bet the car was driven too hard". A ZR1 will pull a higher price than a Z06 and the Z06 will pull a higher price than the base vette.

#19 ·
BMW tried to buy Dinan a number of years back. After Dinan rejected the deal there was some bad blood for a few years, but it seems they've declared bygones. The is a lot more flexibity wrt extended warranties. Factory warranties are no longer voided due to Dinan and I'm speaking from first hand experience.
Why would BMW buy a US tuning brand ? The US market is substantially smaller than the domestic market (about 1/5th), and the US market for tuned BMW's is probably negligible compared to the domestic market.
There are a whole VARIETY of German tuning brands that are larger and have a substantially larger turnover (and target market) than Dinan, why wouldn't BMW buy G-power, Hamann, AC Schnitzer, Kelleners and go for Dinan. Also, what benefitc could that give BMW? To own a small tuning shop? o_O

Also, it's not the factory warranty that's voided, but the extended warranty. The car can't be sold as CPO anymore.

#21 ·
Why would BMW buy a US tuning brand ? The US market is substantially smaller than the domestic market (about 1/5th), and the US market for tuned BMW's is probably negligible compared to the domestic market.
There are a whole VARIETY of German tuning brands that are larger and have a substantially larger turnover (and target market) than Dinan, why wouldn't BMW buy G-power, Hamann, AC Schnitzer, Kelleners and go for Dinan. Also, what benefitc could that give BMW? To own a small tuning shop? o_O

Also, it's not the factory warranty that's voided, but the extended warranty. The car can't be sold as CPO anymore.
Why would BMW bother with Alpina? Dinan isn't your typical small tuning shop. It's a racing and engineering company. There's a reason why they can sell tunes a year before any else can crack BMW's system. It was my understanding that BMW wanted Dinan to be in the US what Alpina is in Europe. Half of all M car sales worldwide are in the US. BMW recognizes the market specially badged cars. You may not be a fan, but I've admired Dinan engineering for many years.

On the warranty issue, there's a F01 owner here at the Fest who blew a turbo. He had Dinan and an extended warranty and it was covered. If I keep my car beyond the basic warranty period, I plan to buy an extended warranty. BMW won't cover a failed part if it is Dinan's fault, but parts don't fail just because there's a tune. On the CPO end, the Dinan tune needs to be removed to return the car to stock prior to certification.

#7 ·
I recently ordered a 2012 Alpina B7
Dinan Software ECU upgrade
Dinan Stainless exhaust with stainless tips -

I have not had a chance to run dyno on the car but I really want too -

When I ordered the Alpina, the BMW dealer gave me a new 750 for 6 weeks to drive, it was a 2012, 400 hp - Its extremely noticable after the Dinan upgrades and I suspect you would really notice these enhancement on a stock 750..

Personally I would not worry about the extra wear, you wont get any credit for tuning your leased car but I believe these engines are meant to drive hard and the Dinan tuning wont hurt anything, in my opinion, has anyone ready about a recent dinan tuning mod that has caused engine problems, The warranty is honored and these engines now days are pratically bullet proof. tune it and run it hard

#9 ·
I recently ordered a 2012 Alpina B7
Dinan Software ECU upgrade
Dinan Stainless exhaust with stainless tips -

I have not had a chance to run dyno on the car but I really want too -

When I ordered the Alpina, the BMW dealer gave me a new 750 for 6 weeks to drive, it was a 2012, 400 hp - Its extremely noticable after the Dinan upgrades and I suspect you would really notice these enhancement on a stock 750..

Personally I would not worry about the extra wear, you wont get any credit for tuning your leased car but I believe these engines are meant to drive hard and the Dinan tuning wont hurt anything, in my opinion, has anyone ready about a recent dinan tuning mod that has caused engine problems, The warranty is honored and these engines now days are pratically bullet proof. tune it and run it hard
I guarantee you, any BMW engineer will thoroughly disagree with you.

#10 ·
My opinion, i dont believe you

BMW dealerships not only endorse this but don't have problems with dinan upgrades, let me remind you, they do these upgrades at the dealership.

Can anyone out there tell me they have had a problem directly related to a dinan upgrade. Has anyone had engine failure or early fatigue do to this?

Maybe I am wrong and my car is now doomed for problems and failure.

Engineer prob says same thing about upgrading your wheel size, They will never endorse anything other than what they design, my opinion

#11 · (Edited)
Let me just say BMW dealer IS NOT BMW engineer.

And saying "run the engine hard, nothing can happen" is pretty incompetent, engineer or not.

In fact Dinan states this clearly in their FAQ:

Will the chip hurt my engine? Yes and no... We work very hard engineering our products to work within the limits of the engine components. On the other side, nothing is free and we are asking the engine to do more work and that will increase wear.

#12 · (Edited)
Anytime you increase the performance of an engine ( in this case, crack up the turbo boost without any other hardware change, bigger cooling system, more oil capacity, ****** fuel injectors etc. ), you are putting more stress and wear to the engine, as well as drivetrain. It's sure will shorten the life of the engine no matter what. It's just the price to pay to have more power than the original engine was intended to do.

My car only has one year of the factory warranty left so I chose not to do it. But if it's a brand new car, I would just have it installed in a heartbeat. Drive it hard for 4 yrs and trade in the car and let someone else to deal with the propblem.

#14 ·
I was consistently getting 4.3 with stage 1 and now get 4.2 with stage 2. Sport+, lift off the brake and hammer the gas. Standing on the brakes and getting the revs up slowed things down considerable. I have not raced a B7, but I slowly walk away from new M3's. Oh, they get so pissed. The best part is at the next light when they ask what the hell I have done, I say "Nothing, it's stock".

#18 ·
B7, or, do the upgrades and don't worry about it. The car can take more than you'll give it, I'm sure. Few, if any, drive these cars hard enough to hurt them.

If you plan to keep the car for 100k, then I wouldn't do it. If you plan to keep the car four years or so, who cares. Have fun.

#20 ·
Let me try to re-phase a question little differently,

Does anyone know about a mechanical problem or type of engine failure that has been or was related to a Dinan upgrade? I just cant see any down side to this, even the cars that have 100K+ miles - I would think the life of a car depends on how you drive the car than the type of Dinan upgrades.

Does anyone feel that these engines have been improved every year from an engineering and performance standpoint for the last 75 years- To me, its funny that someone would worry about hurting your engine now days, most of these cars will see the junk yard before the engine is compromised. with all of the R&D, and technology these days, I would guess that Dinan has been around for 25 years?

I can tell you one thing, I am not going to be that slow guy in the right lane, driving a Alpina B7 worrying about my engine quitting early, or for that matter what kind of gas mileage I m getting..

Personally if I am going to spend 140K for a car, no doubt I want to do some fun upgrades, that add to the overall driving experience, and appearance, that make it more unique. I guess we agree to disagree.

#22 ·
My friend works at a local BMW dealership and he was upgrading a 335i to Dinan and I asked him about the warranty. He said the Dinan code sits on top of the BMW coding so it doesn't interfere with any stock coding or diagnostics and he claimed it won't void the warranty because the dealership itself has done several Dinan flashes.

I guess it comes down to the dealer, I've heard crazy stories of dealers denying warranty on electronic parts because someone had aftermarket rims.

#24 ·
Despite the motivations behind the attempted purchase, it doesn't change the history.

#27 ·
I believe Dinan provides a 2yr warranty for cars outside the basic warranty period.

#29 ·
I talked with the folks at Dinan this morning. In my case in which I have 9 months remaining on BMW Basic Warranty, Dinan will warranty the car 2 years from installation date. So, I would have matching 9 month warranty (BMW & Dinan) and then 15 months with Dinan...

#31 ·
Another way of getting an extended warranty, nice!

#32 ·
Didn't it mean he has 9 months matched warranty, and the rest just Dinan warranty on Dinan-tuning related failures only?

#34 ·
That's the moment of truth then - if he's confirmed with BMW that BMW does continue the extended warranty even though the car has Dinan tuning, then it's cool. But somehow I doubt that.
Everywhere people write that their extended warranty is voided if the car is tuned.

#37 · (Edited)
I'm ordering the Dinan stage 3 for my 750I X M package. I have a 2011 with 23,000 miles on it and am purchasing through BMW the Dinan 2 year extended warranty witch they said starts at the end of the 4/50000. I believe it's a total of 6/100,000 or 6/unlimited miles so I'm told. I have to make sure before I do anything, doesn't sound right but that came from Dinan. BTW today Oct. 1st-30 15% off Dinan sale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.