BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Sometimes act like a "Vtec.....?"

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  e36mike 
#1 ·
Ok well this is going to be somewhat hard to describe so bare with me.. Have a 92, 325i, sedan/5pd. I usually let her warm up for a few mins before driving on a usual basis. Here is where the "weirdness" comes in.

I will do my usual shifting, but if i get the urge to want to go just a little faster.. Ill be in say, 2nd gear and give it gas. It goes. But, as accelerating faster it will like get a burst of speed and go faster.. Like its compensating or acting like a "Vtech" would when it finally kicks in off a honda... Or it feels like the tranny is finally catching.. Or more fuel is being let in..

This does happen all the time, im thinking maybe the car needs to be fully warmed up.. I mean, I had a tranny swap somewhat recently, had a fuel injection service done.. New plugs just put in.. Thought it could also be maybe the fuel lines or pump.. But was told differently. And since I got the fuel injection service, thought maybe that'd help.. Any ideas oh wise one's....? :mad:

#5 ·
Yet idle isnt as issue... So, for a newb such as myself, am I screwed with the possible "bad vanos..?" Or is there a fix to this.. Thats if this is the issue at hand....

#6 ·
92 = no vanos. i dont think you have a problem. its just the way the power band is. 2 of my friends though i had "german vtec", vanos would actually solve the problem by having the power kick in earlier. thats how my 92 feels also, pedal to the floor of the line it goes no where then all of sudden the torque comes hard and late.

#9 ·
e36mike-
"M50/M50TU
Straight 6 DOHC 24V/Straight 6 DOHC 24V with Single VANOS."

This is what I have, so i do have single?

Well, just feels weird at times, havent really noticed it before.. And its not always happening.. Just feels like "superman is behind the car giving it a push" when i want to go faster/give it more gas/go. Just thought maybe it was maybe because of the tranny that was just put in.. Maybe its just vanos then.. Or the power band.. There goes racing hondas. lol.

#10 · (Edited)
404: disa valve not found. thats a 318 thing, and a e46 thing, and it sounds like a trumpet when its messed up.

now if the problem is happening out of nowhere and it never happened before then id go through the usual inspection points and clean and replace, like plugs, vac leaks, sensors, filters, coil packs, but for some reason i just feel like you don't have vanos and you just get the feeling that your car is responding late but thats just how it is.

here if your valve cover looks like this then you don't have vanos means you have no low end power.

if your valve cover looks like this, the difference being the part that is circled. then you have vanos and you have a little more torques and better powerband that starts a little earlier.

#14 ·
Mine does that too on cold mornings. I think mabie it cause the Vanos is controlled by oil pressure and needs to warm up and a little to get the flow goin. Idk, I spoke to a guy that said it was a fuel injection issue cuase I thought it was like a hesitation. I've treated it with 104s max octane + fuel injector cleaner many times over, and that helped a lot. I never notice it unless it's cold now and only every now and then. I'd just let it warm up past the blue zone at least and see what it does then.

#15 ·
Mine does that too on cold mornings. I think mabie its cause the Vanos is controlled by oil pressure and needs to warm up and a little to get the flow goin. Idk, I spoke to a guy that said it was a fuel injection issue cuase I thought it was like a hesitation. I've treated it with 104s max octane + fuel injector cleaner many times over, and that helped a lot. I never notice it unless it's cold now and only every now and then. I'd just let it warm up past the blue zone at least and see what it does then.

#18 ·
e36mike-
Well my engine is looking like the 2nd pic you put up.. So, guess i have it..?

And yeah, Ill even sit there now and let her warm up all the way to the mid point just so I feel that ill be on the safer side.

#19 ·
e36mike-
Well my engine is looking like the 2nd pic you put up.. So, guess i have it..?

And yeah, Ill even sit there now and let her warm up all the way to the mid point just so I feel that ill be on the safer side.
then maybe you just need to go over the checklist like i said, sensors, vacuum, fuel, spark, intake, gaskets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.