BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Any new 7 owners that regret the purchase??

8K views 47 replies 35 participants last post by  InTraffic 
#1 ·
I'm just curious how the new 7 owners feel about F01/F02???

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comment on my car. Here's my perspective; there's nothing out there that drives as tight, fun, powerful, finish, options or presence. This may change in a year or two, but it is the car to own now. Mercedes quality has been slipping for 8 years now, and perhaps it's improving, but not consistent enough for me.

One of the hosts on Top Gear stated; it has the amenities of a $300,000 car. It is a great car. I am very doubtful you would be disappointed.

#25 ·
Thanks for the comment on my car. Here's my perspective; there's nothing out there that drives as tight, fun, powerful, finish, options or presence. This may change in a year or two, but it is the car to own now. Mercedes quality has been slipping for 8 years now, and perhaps it's improving, but not consistent enough for me.

One of the hosts on Top Gear stated; it has the amenities of a $300,000 car. It is a great car. I am very doubtful you would be disappointed.

Ok. I have a 740 Li. Had an S550 prior. To say that this has the amities of a 300k car and repeat it makes me think of my 83 year old father in law quoting Bill O'reilley.....not to say......:dunno:

#7 ·
Having just passed 3,000 miles in about two months I can honestly say it's the best car I've ever owned and would absolutely buy one again. It's the perfect combination of luxury and performance. Fit, finish, and quality of materials are way beyond the other German marks.

#10 ·
My wife is the primary driver of our F02. Every time I get in the car with her she exclaims "I LOVE THIS CAR!". I have been driving BMW's since my 1600 in 1968. Nothing ever compares. BMW has always been ahead of the pack. The new F02 has taken luxury driving to the next level.

#11 ·
I just turned in my 2007 750Li and picked up my 2010 750i. While I've only had it four days, I can say that I absolutely love it. My wife drove it for the first time today and texted me later to say that she has car envy. She loves how it feels and drives and neither one of us are serious driving enthusiasts or anything. It's a great car and I like it even more than my previous 7, which I also really liked. I thought the new tech would be the thing that really made me love the new model, but I just can't get over how much I enjoy driving it. It just feels good and when I get to my destination, I kind of want to just keep driving.

Jeff

#13 ·
Best BMW 7er i've ever owned. By the time you figure out all the features, options, voice commands (i counted 105 in the OM), etc it'll be time to hop into the newest and latest 7er.
Do you use the "Notepad" in your 745Li? If so then you'll love the "Notepad" in the F01/02 because now it has 10 minutes of recording time and you can export recorded notes to a usb drive.
Also, just incase your car happens to be in the shop and you get a loaner BMW that support Profiles, you can export your profile onto a usb drive and import it into your loaner BMW. No need to adjust the exterior mirrors, Driver's seat position, Programmable memory buttons, Tone settins, Automatic climate control, Steering wheel position and stuff...the imported profile will automatically do it all for you. Is that cool or what???

With all the praises above, i must CAUTION you that sometimes the car does experience problems and it can be in the shop for a long period. For example, OP bcool vibration problem is still ongoing (even though his situation maybe just one out of the many) and the car has being in the shop for a month or so.

I think you'll enjoy the F01/02 if you decide to pull the trigger.

Good luck.

#14 ·
A lone voice of dissention

Although I expected to get flamed for my opinion, I was not a happy owner of a 2009 750i, which I drove for two months before selling.

I love BMW and have owned 26 of them in my lifetime. I still drive a 2009 X5 diesel which I like a lot. The 750 that I owned felt very remote, not as connected to the road as my other BMW vehicles. I hate to say this, but it drove a little too much like a Lexus. The brakes were superb, but the steering was not nearly as sharp and connected as I expect from BMW. The 7 is very heavy and the sport package on my vehicle used all kinds of clever electronic aids that attempted to mask all this weight, but this just added to the feeling that I wasn't really piloting my own car. The throttle tip-in was too syrupy for my taste.

Little things began to annoy me the more I drove the car. The mileage was disappointing, about as bad as my M3 and the fuel tank is smaller than the previous 7, which meant more refueling stops. Even though I had a BMW individual car, the headliner and sunvisors felt cheap. The sunvisor doesn't even project rearward, it has only two positions. The climate settings on my car could not be altered by changing the profiles. No matter what I did, when I started the car, the HVAC came on and noisily blasted the rear seats. I wound up adding a shortcut to the rear ventilation setting so I could shut it off everytime I started the car. I felt there was too much wind noise (admittedly my last 7 had the double thickness glass). I felt that the ride quality, even set on comfort, was too abrupt (likely due to the 20 inch wheels mandated by the BMW Individual package). The premium sound system in the 7 is not as good as the premium sound system in my X5.

I drove the 5 series GT hoping that I might like this better, but the driving experience is much the same- remote, aloof, disconnected. Not my idea of how BMW should drive. I am sorry if my opinions offend anyone here. I will always have a BMW in my garage, just not the new 7 series.

#18 ·
Not a single regret. I love the car.

#19 ·
Just picked up mine tonight. I put 500 european miles on it and it's definitely the best 7 since my beloved '99 740il- and way better than that. It blows away the the 745 and the '06 I just turned in. Just a wee bit complicated to learn all the features and settings.

How do you access the tutorial videos, the salesman didn't know.

#22 ·
I suppose it depends on what other car you are considering, and what cars you have had previously. For some owners, this is by far the nicest and best car they've owned. For other owners, this is the standard they have been used to for 20 years (always owning the a luxo sedan), and for other owners this is one of many luxury vehicles, and may not stand out from the pack.

I'm certainly not a high roller, and only own 2-3 vehicles at a time. I have however had the luxury of owning several luxury sedans in the past 2 years. I typically drive 120-175 miles a day, 6 days a week. So I drive them for 20k, then sell and get something else. I've had a 2010 Lexus LS460, 2008 MB S65 AMG, 2009 750, amongst others. The 750 is a great sedan, but does have flaws. The sound system sucks, the rear camera still takes a while to power up (they haven't fixed this for 5 years through many models), many owners seem to have a vibration issue, and even on "comfort" mode, the car really doesn't soak up bumps nicely like the LS460 or MB S65.

It does however, do a lot of things right. Sport and Sport + mode are great, good gas mileage for the power, great technology and adaptive cruise/auto hold are nice features. Interior materials are nice, but in 2012, so are the materials in every other flagship sedan.

Personally, I think this is the best overall luxury sedan (in this price segment) that is currently available. I also think however, that if you can wait another 6-8 months for the newly redesigned MB S class to be released, that it will surely blow the 2013 redesigned 7 series out of the water. They usually do. (No offense to BMW owners). As a purely latest tech, most comfortable, well rounded vehicle, I would think you should wait another half year and get the latest greatest luxury sedan, that all will surely be compared to. ...At least that's what I plan on doing :0

#27 ·
No regrets here. I wish I would have chosen my options a little differently, but that is not BMW's fault. I do not have much experience in "luxo sedans", I have owned a Lincoln Continental and Lexus 460. Both are boring cars compared to the 750Li w/ Xdrive.

#32 ·
The X5 will always a tab smaller compare with GL, since I plan to have a second kid, I think a larger SUV might be better. But I don't wanna lose the driving fun though.

Your 7 is still new, maybe you should hold on until the next gen 7er come out, or at least wait for the new S class. The 13' 7 is nice, but to me it's not worth the switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.