BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Clayed!

3K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  dzle 
#1 · (Edited)
Clayed my car this past weekend, I cannot believe how clean and good the paint looks now OMG! My car feels like it has a sheet of ice over the paint its so slick..Also for guys who are thinking about getting a detail but their car isnt that bad off this is an alternative and saves a lot of cash. Make sure to polish and wax afterwards...

My advice to anyone who hasnt done this yet, its a must do!!! If you have a white or light colored car its definitely a must...
Plenty people here has done this and I took your advice so thanks, now im passing on the word as well!

#2 ·
Was this your first time? Thinking about doing it myself this year...

Oh and let's see some pics!

#3 · (Edited)
I didnt take pics, I did it all in the garage and the car is still there. Its raining today in jersey so ofcourse im not driving it...Yes it was my 1st time, as u do it more u will get the hang of it but be careful not to mar ur paint...With claying tho u can literally remove all deposits, contaminants, and those color stains that just never go away regardless of how often you wash your car...The worst areas were the bottoms of the doors...Your car is black so u cant visually see the contaminants as much, just clay lightly until the entire car is smooth.

Heres how u can test...take ur hand or put ur hand in a plastic sandwich bag...Then rub areas of your cars painted surfaces and if it feels rough or sounds like sandpaper u need to clay..then do the test after and your hand will glide over the paint smoothly. Imagine how the rain and other deposits will not stick to ur paint afterwards.

#4 ·
Claying is great, My car is smooth as glass, I had done my e46 last yr after a respray on the rear bumper, the paint def had some light over spray on it that you could feel, after the clay the car was perfect again. Meguires has a nice kit that comes with the detail spray 2 clay bars and a towel for like 20$, great kit.:thumbup:

#10 ·
clay won't take off as much paint and such as polishing/compounding will. Everytime you use polish/compound a small layer of paint is taken off. If you were to polish a panel every day for say 30 days the paint would be considerably thinner in that area versus another spot. That's why many pro detailers have paint measurement tools; to determine how much paint they have to work with.

But either way, when you clay you should polish afterwards to remove any marring induced by the claying to make the car look good.

#6 ·
Clay only once a year...If u clay a car that has never been clayed for several years it would take longer to do and more work to get the stains out..

I would never clay a car more then once a year at the most.

#7 · (Edited)
I beat you guys about a 2 day. I clayed my car this saturday. Yes, its like a sheet of ice, Glazed it on top and waxed 2 coats. What a difference.

Next thing coming is that Armor all the wheels (not tires) with 2 coats so the brake dust dont settle that quick. I have never tried that if it works but we will see I guess.

#9 ·
I'm too lazy I don't even like washing this big a$$ car anymore lol....And waxing ****tttt I've probably waxed this car once since I bought it and I've had it for over 3 years. Yeah guys I know you're jaws are to the floor now lol, but after coming home every 6 months from Afghanistan for a month at a time washing/claying/waxing this beast is not on the "things to do list" lol. And besides I'm getting rid on it soon anyway new model is calling me lmao.

But honestly if I can find a trust worthy shop in my are (west bubble **** Alabama) that does this I may give it a shot but DIY hell no.....

Just saying guys nothing against the tender loveing care you all put into your cars.

#11 ·
Yeah I hate washing my car I take it to a hand wash and pay 20 bucks to get it done, and I never went through them wash machines after Ive seen what they do to your car all hand wash baby. But the clay I do at home I use meguiars claybar and quickdetail comes out real good and nice to the touch make sure u noobers dont drop the clay and use it on the car yall gonna scratch it up.

#12 ·
I take mine to those high school kids that are trying to raise money for stuff, this cuts the total wash time down by at least 75% all I have to do now is go home and clean the wheels, apply leather treatment and thats it....I'm just so freaking lazy lol.

#14 ·
+1... I think I will give it a try within the next week or two. This will be my first attempt of doing it myself so much more reading is in store.

#15 ·
I clay barred my truck sunday .It took 2 hours but it brings the finish back to showroom
Rub youur hands over the hood and sides if it feels rough then time to clay bar.
You wont believe the difference ,do one door or section at a time like waxing. You will
say where has this been hiding all my life ( mother's clay bar $17 walmart ):thumbup:

#16 ·
Hey Will, how long did the whole process take?

#17 · (Edited)
A few hours....Dont be afraid to go at it just dont apply too much pressure or elbow grease..Also work small areas at a time and always keep the area ur working on nice n wet.

Also do not drive the car until u polish and or wax the car afterwards..U dont want to get debris on the car before u apply the wax.

Do not clay ur grill etc..those areas are unneccesary, also the paint on the bumpers are softer so if u clay the bumpers go veryyyy lightly.

#18 ·
Thank you for the advice. I am going to try this either this weekend or the next depending on the weather and what else I have going on.

#23 ·
claying doesnt remove any paint as you are basically wiping the clay over a wet surface. polishing/buffing will/does remove paint especially when using a buffing machine, I use a random orbitol and for light marks and maintaning a nice finish is more than enough.

#24 ·
Clayed the car today and it turned out awesome. Well worth the 2.5 hours. A few pics are below (taken w/ my phone so forgive the quality). I used the Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit. It came with the clay, microfiber towel, Quik Detailer, Quik Wax. It almost looks pearl white now. :thumbup:

Attachments

#25 ·
Wow that is truly amazing:thumbup: your car looks so good. I especially like the first pic...it almost doesn't look real the paint is so shiny. I love the reflection of the clouds on the hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.