BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Seeking X5 Owner's opinions

903 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ard 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings... First Post... Have had a '72 2002; a '96 528i, and currently own a 2000 528i (love it & keeping it) and considering a 2008 X5 (3.0) and would love to hear from X5 Owners about any issues or anything to look for when shopping for an X5. I've seen axle ratios range from 3.9 to 4.44 (to 1) and I'm curious as to how much of a difference there is in gas mileage between these two axle ratios. Thanks

#3 ·
6 cylinder gas engines are safest bets, but every BMW model has quirks as you know based on your past BMW's and an 08 is coming up on 10 years old. How an individual specimen was taken care of along the way is just as important (if not more) than what it is.

#4 ·
Try and find one where someone changed the Transmission Fluid sometime before 100k

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

But seriously, welcome and good luck!

#6 · (Edited)
I'm not prepared to speak about axle ratios, but I will say that I find the X5D to be second-to-none when it comes to speed and handling, interior, and fuel economy. 265 HP/415 lb.-ft. of torque...20.4 MPG. Not bad, in my opinion, especially for mid-sized SUV. You've owned BMWs so you likely already know that they are expensive to buy, maintain, and repair.

#7 ·
I cannot speak about axel ratios but will share that I've owned 3 X5s and never had any mechanical issues. Then again, I don't drive my vehicles hard and the mileage is always low (regardless of whether it's a lease or buy). You would have loved to have my 2014 X5 with only 17k miles! On a side note -- I have 2 F32s leases ending and each vehicle has <10k miles (after 36+ months lease).

#9 ·
I will add that I dont think Ive ever read a post about E70 axle ratios...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.