BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Brake dust

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Tim_in_CA 
#1 ·
A short while ago, there was a post about excessive brake dust on our 7er's.

I drove my car for the last 7 days, in heavy, heavy Los Angelese City traffic. Besides from dusting my car off, and cleaning the glass...I did not touch my wheels for 7 days straight!!

I just took a light (almost white) microfiber cloth and some simple green, and cleaned my wheels. Seriously...I did not even need to turn the cloth, or rinse it 1/2 way thru the cleaning! I cleaned all 4 wheels, and the rag barely had a hint of brake dust!

I think for those that are having a lot of brake dust, you should have the dealer look at your car. I have never had a German car with so little brake dust...ever! It's amazing how clean my 750 wheels stay! Total pleasure!

I wish all of our great Forum members a fun and happy 4th of July weekend (at least those that are in the States:)!

#2 ·
I wouldn't say the brake dust on my '09 750i is excessive, but it certainly doesn't match what you say. I have a 54 mile daily round trip commute, luckily on a not-so-congested tollway. So, my brake usage isn't like stop and go. I do let the engine slow down the car, rather than using the brakes, as much as possible. Cleaning the front tires takes way more effort than you say.

My wife has a Volvo S80 T6, and I think it has more brake dust than my BMW.

#3 ·
The reduced brake dust is due to the fact that the new 750's (F01 and greater) use regnerative braking to charge the battery. Note the "Efficient Dynamics" indicator at the end of real time MPG indicator on the right side lower of the instrument cluster. My A8 was terrible with the brake dust. The new 7 is MUCH, MUCH better in this regard!!! :)

#4 ·
Yes, I know. I mentioned this in great detail, to I think it was M54, when I made the "off" comment about his brakes and dust on his Chinese spec 7 Series! The reduced brake dust is 100% due to the regenerative brake system on our 7 Series!

I had a 2006 & 2007 Lexus Hybrid...and I could go weeks without needing to clean the brakes. While, my 7 Series does not produce as little as the Lexus...it is amazing how clean the brakes stay (especially since German cars are brake dust monsters)!

I clean my brakes maybe once a week, and sometimes the microfiber rag is barely dirty! LOVE regenerative braking systems!!

#5 ·
This should also extend the life of the pads as the regen brakes do a lot of the work under light braking and coasting. I notice that they come on when I coast down long hills. I suppose the car is "smart" enough to take the opportunity to charge the batteries under these conditions instead of using engine power braking to do all the work. Clever, clever German engineering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.