BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Passenger interior door handle confusion...

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  bruno787 
#1 ·
I would say 80-90% of the time, it is just me and my young son in the car. But, the two dozen times of so, someone new has gotten into my car....they cannot figure out how to close the passenger door. They just start grabbing around, and have even tried (and sadly done it) closed the door by opening the silver, actual door handle/latch.

If you look at the last 7 Series, EVERY current BMW (especially the all new 5 Series) and every other car company....the door handle/grip is usually where one would rest their arm, on the door. On the new 7 Series, they put the door grip so unnaturally high, almost by the window.

Is it just me, being picky...or does it annoy you too, that you have to tell every new passenger where and how to close the door? I've actually had 2-3 people say how unergonomic and poorly designed the door handles are (of course, they being freaky car people like us!).

Take a minute, and look how BMW designed the driver and passenger door on the new 5 Series. It is actually beginning to annoy me that it seems BMW gave the 5 Series some better features...especially the amazing new LED Corona Rings (and superior interior door handles/grips).!!! :mad:

#2 ·
first time passengers would surely miss out on the handles.

i really like the design since its one of a kind---the way the wood curves and acts as the handle....... the placement is similar to that of older luxury car where the handles are way above where you would rest your elbows.......is this a Rollroyce design? a Lincoln,,,a Caddy? somewhere in that area......they used to have handles way up the door panel i just dont remember what kind of car/s.

#3 ·
LED AE makes me want to swap my car to a 5 series. BMW eng. should have figured out a way to make the AE upgrade long time ago, I know most of us want to pay to get it upgraded. That is a lot of $ to be made.

#4 ·
The position of the rear door handles is something I, too, quickly noticed when I test-drove the F01. Then, as now, it struck me as a very classy item. Sometimes doing things differently than "the norm" can be distinctive rather than annoying. It may be just me, but letting someone know where the door handle is located so that they would know how to close the rear door could be a very classy take-away for them regarding the new 7.

#5 ·
I've had the car a week and I still forget for a second. :)

#7 ·
Same issue of not being able to find the door handle for almost every first time passenger in mine as well. Wasn't the smartest idea.

On a side note I liked the storage space the handle created on the old 7, always used to stick my cell phone/cigarettes in there.

Also while on topic of small complaints has anyone had any issues with using the car lighter in the front? The angle of it and space to go in and fish it with my hand is so small and awkward that I always feel as if I am going to drop it trying to pull it out while twisting my arm around to fit. (Forget about it if there is a drink in the cup holder.)

#8 · (Edited)
Another very strange thing is that in the new 5, the wood trim line on the center console swoops away from the driver instead of towards the driver (the later of which is a far more 'driver oriented' sporty setup) AND almost every other BMW that has such a swoop (models that have been intro'd both prior to and after the intro of the new 5), has it swooping towards the driver. Very strange / inconsistent.

#12 · (Edited)
Theres definitely two sides to this.

On one hand, the way the door pull is buried high up behind the wood is very classy and different from normal cars. I would say this is a great feature if this is a car that you just use with your family and everyone knows how to get in and out of it.

However, for people like me who often have clients in the backseat, this can be VERY disastrous. Usually i try to close the door for my rear passengers but sometimes I just can't get to them fast enough and they pull the door close by FLIPPING OPEN THE ash tray... or pulling the bottom of the door... or even straight grip the flat leather and use friction to close the door!

PS: I am almost tempted to put a yellow sticky on the wood trim so that people will pull up there...

#13 ·
Ahhhhh....yes the use the ash tray as the door pull thing! This has happened many times. I remember my Mom, the first time she drove in my car...she complained how ridiculous it was that BMW did not provide door pulls for such an expensive car! The storage compartment at the bottom of the door has also been used as an Ersatz door handle i my car as well.

To me, this is kind of like the first generation iDrive, or that stupid little and confusing steering mounted gear lever in the last 7 Series. Yes, eventually you will get used to it...but this is A CAR & some things like door handles, PRND, radio and climate controls (again 2002-2006 7 Series) SHOULD NOT be something that one gets used to. They need to be immediately and easily figured out right away!!

#14 ·
It's not conspicuous, and that's what makes it so strange. It is very functional, and attractive though. It's growing on me.

#15 ·
Just need to get used to it. To me it is a classic design

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.