BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Hybrid System Malfunction!

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Individual750LI 
#1 ·
I was at the park today with my son, and when I got in the car to take us home, the car would not start. Upon the 2nd attempt...I got a warning saying HYBRID SYSTEM FAILURE. DO NOT ATTEMPT RESTARTING VEHICLE, and something about having it taken to the nearest authorised BMW center.

Both starting attempts...ZERO noises (no chugging, no alternator, no battery noises, no warning chimes).

I let the car sit for about 5 mins, and I did attempt to restart again (even though the car told me not to). Nothing.

Sat out in the 95F weather (with like 80% humidity) for about 15 mins more, and then I re-attempted starting. Perfect. Check controls show NO errors, no faults, no warnings, no triangles on the dash. Car drove flawlessly home.

Anyone else experience this? A one time BMW electrical snafu/glitch, or should I take it in?

I've had the car now 3 months, and have about 2000 miles on the odo. Never had a single issue or concern....and that's good, since my last 3 BMWs in a row, all had multiple issues in the first few months.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow that stinks, I would definitely take it in. I'm also in SoCal, luckily we have plenty of dealers around us to choose from, have you dropped it off today? You have quite the garage, you wouldn't be out a car if you let them check it out for a day or two :thumbup:

Good luck, keep us informed!

I was at the park today with my son, and when I got in the car to take us home, the car would not start. Upon the 2nd attempt...I got a warning saying HYBRID SYSTEM FAILURE. DO NOT ATTEMPT RESTARTING VEHICLE, and something about having it taken to the nearest authorised BMW center.

Both starting attempts...ZERO noises (no chugging, no alternator, no battery noises, no warning chimes).

I let the car sit for about 5 mins, and I did attempt to restart again (even though the car told me not to). Nothing.

Sat out in the 95F weather (with like 80% humidity) for about 15 mins more, and then I re-attempted starting. Perfect. Check controls show NO errors, no faults, no warnings, no triangles on the dash. Car drove flawlessly home.

Anyone else experience this? A one time BMW electrical snafu/glitch, or should I take it in?

I've had the car now 3 months, and have about 2000 miles on the odo. Never had a single issue or concern....and that's good, since my last 3 BMWs in a row, all had multiple issues in the first few months.

#4 ·
I would take it in. At the least, you want it documented now that you had the issue.

#6 ·
Sounds like it could have been a computer hiccup, but take it in nonetheless and insist on a diagnostic of the car's systems.

#7 ·
THANKS for all the replies. I know, I really know I should take it in, so they can check and document my complaint...but it has not done it since. After that one big hiccup...it has been flawless. Such a total pleasure, treat, thrill and joy to drive and own. It's amazing how much torque/power the AH7 has, and the TTurbo V-8 and 8 speed tranny are like butter!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.