BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Anyone else with excessive carbon on exhaust tips?

5K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  UncleJ 
#1 ·
On our F25 I spent 30 minutes and two types of metal/chrome polish trying to remove the baked on black carbon on the end of the exhaust tips. It would not come off. I have never experienced this problem on any of our other 3 BMW's.

Is there something about the twin tubo 4 banger? Does it run rich? I suspect an issue of some sort but do not have a CEL. Will have to take in for the shop to scan for codes I think just to be safe.

Anyone else notice this issue?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes but

Yes, but it is also an engine and it isn't supposed to blow that crap out the poppintubbin. Gonna have the dealer pull the plugs and have a look see at their condition. Something is amiss, it should not be running this rich and didn't earlier on this year after we first got it.

#8 ·
The service manager here says this is normal, but couldn't explain why. I only see it on the right exhaust of my 2013 F25, and it wipes off very easily with a WD-40-soaked paper towel. Odd.

#13 ·
excessive carbon/soot in & on exhaust tip(s)

have had our new X3 for a month now and havwe cleaned it up a few times already. been using Nevr Dull which is fine for inside the pipe but doesn't work as well on the chrome tip where it's obvioulsy baked on there - takes some elbow grease but it eventually comes off. could this build-up be the result of the Start/Stop function (frequent starts) or the Eco Pro mode that the wife drives with constantly? i'm with ya on this....never had this problem on my old E83 X3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.