BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Used E34 needs SERIOUS TLC

4K views 48 replies 9 participants last post by  DanDominguez 
#1 ·
Greetings all! I purchased a used '89 525i a few months ago, the previous owner told me it shook while running and driving (which it did and still does to some extent) and that the instrument cluster didn't work (the LCD is almost impossible to read but the speedometer, tachometer, thermostat, and fuel gauge still work) I have since discovered that there a number of other issues with this car that I'm at a loss to explain-

rough idle
jerking/jumping while in gear
IC flickers in sync with engine idling (alternator maybe?)
Air conditioning blows hot air unless car has been running for at least an hour & rear vents blow cold air when heat is on
heated seats don't work
difficult to steer at low speeds, the steering wheel jerks almost like it doesn't want to turn
Car seems to lose power when climbing hills, then it revs (jumps from 2-3.5 rpm then back) this is only fixed when I shift from D to 3 or 2 depending on the hill and my speed

And then there's the issues that I think I can fix-

Window switches stick (looks like something spilled on them)
OBC display is almost impossible to read (bulb is burnt out)
4/6 spark plug connectors are cracked
fuel door won't stay shut (I'm currently keeping it closed with duck tape that matches the color of the car, kinda)

So far the only work I've done to it has been to replace the copper core spark plugs with double platinum plugs, replace the tail lights, replace the front blinker housing and bulbs, add fluid to the central hydraulic system, added some seafoam cleaner to the fuel tank and crankcase. It still needs to have the rear brakes replaced (I'm going to slap some vented rotors and ceramic pads on it, I live in a hilly area so better performance in the brakes is a must)

That's all I can recall off the top of my head, it's a wonderful car and still has plenty of life left in it (143k miles on it) so I would like to get as much use out of it as possible while I restore it. I'm assuming this car sat in the garage for at least a year before being sold, possibly more so that likely contributes to my problems.

See less See more
#37 ·
Managed to replace one severely worn out rotor and pads, now the other three are begging to be replaced. My latest development with this vehicle is now my windshield wipers don't work. I noticed this morning on my way to work that my radio and OBC weren't lit up with the rest of my dash (but didn't think anything of it since there isn't anything good on the radio at 3:30 in the morning anyway) and when I was warming up the car to go home it was the same thing- no lights or response when I try to turn on the radio and I discovered my wipers wouldn't budge no matter what position the switch was in and the jets don't work either. There's supposed to be three days worth of snow on the way and I'd like to get this fixed ASAP, any ideas of where to look for issues would be helpful. I already checked my fuses and they look good as far as I can tell.

#40 ·
Replaced the link, it had burned completely through and apparently this wasn't the first time- there was a small strip of multi-strand wire connecting the two screws that hold the link which had ALSO burned through. Managed to find a shop a few blocks from my apartment that specializes in foreign cars that can also get me any parts I can't find here, so bonus on that. Now if I could just get this thing to start in the below zero temps we have right now I'd be set!

#43 ·
Power steering belt

I picked up a new belt to replace one of the three that I have in need of replacing, I was told it will fit as a replacement for my power steering belt but I can't seem to find where this belt is supposed to go! I've gone over my manual multiple times to no avail, it covers the E34 chassis as a whole which as we know is several different models so, where is this thing? Can I reach it from the top of the engine compartment or do I have to weasel my way under the car to get at it? I already know about the tensioner bolt and adjuster bolt, I just have to figure out where this belt goes so when I get the other ones I need in a few days I know what's what and where.

#44 ·
news and updates

Greetings again! It has been quite some time since I was here last but I felt the need to consult the experts. My most recent oil change (about 1200 miles ago) also diagnosed a bad thermostat, which was replaced and the cooling system bled and refilled, brakes are all up to spec, but now it seems I have an oil leak. I think it might be a bad oil pan gasket since my drain plug is tight and I can see oil dripping from the seam just behind the plug, also, when I park across a hill if my driver side is facing uphill I have a small puddle under the car in an hour or two and a 'engine oil low' warning on my dash whereas if the drivers side is facing downhill I get no puddle. I also noticed yesterday I have another new warning on my dash- 'oil level sensor'. Is the sensor something I can replace myself or should I just check my oil more often than I already am and hope for the best?

#45 ·
I had an oil leak on an M20 engine at the oil pressure sender -- that produced a decent sized puddle. It wasn't enough to drain a quart of oil out of the sump, though. The pressure sender was easy to replace. It's on the passenger side of the engine block toward the front.

The oil level sensor is pretty expensive. I'd probably just unplug it and watch the oil level with a dipstick. Of course the check control may nag you if you do that.

#49 ·
My bad, dang typo, meant to say 15w40, my owners manual lists 6 different grades of oil to use depending on the average air temperature, 15w50 had the broadest range for this time of year but it's impossible to find after checking every automotive store for 20 miles, 15w40 was the next grade listed with only a slightly smaller temp range so I settled on that since it's available everywhere I go. The car seems to run significantly smoother since I started using it, the rough idle is almost completely gone unless enough of it has leaked out, which is my cue that I need to add more oil before the car tells me it needs it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.