BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

335i vs 335d

21K views 87 replies 23 participants last post by  BMWFTW91 
#1 ·
Hi all. First posting on this board. I'm usually over on the X boards but am thinking of buying a 3er as my daily driver and wanted some feedback. The wife is in the process of stealing the X from me.

I've narrowed the choices down to the 335i and 335d. I currently have the X5d so I'm aware of the "diesel" issues people may have. I have not driven either one of the engines in a car though. Only have had a 328 as a loaner a couple times.

My question is, what are the positives and negatives of the 335i vs the 335d? Looking for things like engine smoothness, power, overall driving feel, "included" options, etc... I love the diesel in the X but am curious about its utility in a smaller vehicle.

Thanks

#2 ·
The 335d has too much torque for the human frame to withstand. There are emerging reports of rotator cup tears and even shoulder separations have occured at traffic light take-offs. I have an M3, so I am insanely jealous of their torque talk.

By the way, the "d" in 335d stands for 'defensive', not diesel. Some 335d owners have become extremely defensive about their rides and post endless stats on performance and spend hours justifying their purchase. "d" could also stand for 'dour' as they don't seem to have much of a sense of humour about the whole thing.

Apart from that, and the lack of a MT or coupe, "d"s seem to be effing awesome rides, just like their 335i brethrin.

: popcorn:

#3 ·
I have an E92 335i and just ordered a 335D. I only test drove the D for a short period of time, but it is pretty awesome power wise. You can tell it is a diesel from the sound but it is not loud. I have always had manual transmission cars, but with the torque of the D I don't know how nessasary the MT would be, so that pushed me over to it. You also can't get Active Steering on it, which is one of the things I would have ordered if it was possible. I am sure more owners will chime in on this one...

#4 ·
I have a diesel. This would be my comparison

Gas Mileage: Big Adv 335d
Handling: Slight edge to 335i in performance driving (lighter and higher rev'ing)
Acceleration: Adv 335i
Green-ness: Adv 335d
Comfort/build: equal
Driving feel: Subjective. my take: driving the diesel is strange coming from a gasoline engine. I don't get that physiological "race car" feeling with the lower RPM shifting. But here is also where I really appreciate the torque and admire the BMW engineering because it still performs great.

I also have a X5d. The engines will perform the same... however the car is ~1500 lbs lighter= faster and better handling.

For me, I don't think I'd go back to gasoline unless the MPG can be improved and pollution output decreased.

#12 ·
For me, I don't think I'd go back to gasoline unless the MPG can be improved and pollution output decreased.
I'd argue the gasoline engine is cleaner than the diesel engine, gallon-for-gallon. Not mile-for-mile, however.

"Diesel actually produces 15% more in greenhouse gases than gasoline when compared by the litre rather than the gallon. Yet it is through the 20-40% improvement in fuel economy over gasoline that offsets the higher emissions per litre. In actuality, the carbon dioxide emissions are considerably less than gasoline, but diesel does contain 2,778 grams of carbon per gallon, whereas gasoline contains 2,421 grams per gallon. But, again, it is the fuel economy of diesel that accounts for the smaller rate of carbon emissions."

- Mike

#6 ·
Here you go - but this is for a slightly higher powered UK spec 335d...

So the 335i can't even pull the "faster" card...

They do sound nicer though.

#8 ·
I have owned a 328i, e63 amg, and tons of VW's and the 335d is the most amazing car I've owned so far. You don't have to drive like a bat out of hell to enjoy all that torque. every time I come out of a curve, I smile and giggle. Plus, the 335d has none of the fuel pump issues that the 335i has. I get avg 40+ mpg when driving 55mph on backroads, 30mpg city. The only thing I would consider is upgrade to a 5er diesel, but I don't think it would be as fun to drive. Also, did you hear about the $4500 rebate and $1000 tax refund. Good luck with your decision.

#10 ·
Would it be accurate to say that the i shines at high rpm performance driving, while the d can be enjoyed without pushing the engine as much? I buy cars to keep for 10+ years so I tend to baby them more than I would in a 3yr lease where no matter how I drive it it won't cause ME any problems.

#11 ·
Also, did you hear about the $4500 rebate and $1000 tax refund.
Is this still available for '11 models purchased/leased in 2010?

#14 ·
I'm guessing the diesel will be a better match for you for a number of reasons and especially because you plan on keeping your car a long time. From everything I've read, the diesel engine is bulletproof.

I thought hard about the d, but I really, really wanted the MT and the coupe. 'Came close though.

#18 ·
I would love to get a MT coupe. Drove one from age 16 on until last year when we bought the X. Only problem is that the cars need to be shared and the wife not only can't drive a stick but also refuses to learn. Guess steptronic with paddle shifters is as close as I'll get(yes I know, not the same at all). Also, even though the X is our "family" long haul car, the 3 would still need to hold 2 carseats in the future for shorter trips. Dont want the hassle of trying that with a coupe. Oh well, the things we give up for family...... Maybe in 20 years I'll get an M as my toy.

#22 ·
I wrote up my opinions late last year when my dad got his 335d. http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412137

A couple things to add to that earlier post: the 335d gets a little better mileage now that the engine is more broken in (over 10k miles now).
BMW did something minor to the suspension setup that makes the newer cars a bit less "crashy" over bumps and potholes compared to the earlier ones. This hasn't seemed to affect the overall handling of the car.

#24 ·
I just got my 335d. I sold my E39 M5. My M5 was starting to cost me in repairs and it was starting to rust. It was a great car - but it drank too much gas.

The $4500 incentive to get the 335d makes it a no brainer. I got the local dealer to match an out of town offer of about $800 over invoice (www.zag.com), then subtract the $4500, subtract the $500 bmwcca rebate, subtract the $900 federal tax credit and the car is almost free! Well it equated for me to about $5000 under invoice. Can you get a 335i at that price? I went with Alpine white, cold weather package, BMW assist w bluetooth, smart phone, HK radio, SAT radio, light wood, ipod, alarm, heated sterring wheel. I have the black leatherette and its just as good as the leather was in my m5. I saved +$2K by not getting leather and a metallic paint. I have had a lot of complements on White - you can see all the lines in the car - it really looks awsome. Before tax is was $41,377, list was $48,900.

I hardwired my V1 this week. The trick to get the overhead console assembly out of the car is to remove the screws holding the visor in place to drop the entire roof down about an inch so you can push out the clips with your fingers from above to get the lighting console out.

In my first 700 miles, I am at 29.8 mpg, and 38 mpg on my first highway trip this week.

Hit the pedal and the car moves - feels fast than my M5.

#28 ·
The same reason I own my other two diesels and have gotten rid of most of my gas cars. I prefer the driving characteristics of diesel vehicles, I'd imagine it is the higher compression engines more than anything else. I actually am not super impressed with the fuel economy when considering for my same drive my 26 year old Mercedes averages better mpg. The torque is nice and all, suppose one could say it is one of those characteristics I enjoy but then if you look at my other two diesel vehicles or more importantly if you drove them then you'd think they were far from torque monsters like the 335d comes off as. I also felt the 335d was a nice blend of what I like, I like diesel vehicles for reasons far from performance and then I like cars more performance orientated. The 335d combines the two pretty decently or decently enough for me.

#35 ·
Did you read the article I posted? Clearly not. 335d beats MT 335i around a track - but this was a UK spec one - 286bhp but almost all are well over 300bhp with no mods.

You can do more with a 335i and tune them to M3 bashing power of course. All good until the HPFP goes pop...

#31 ·
The 335i is faster than the 335d. My chipped 335i was a bloody monster. :D

However, the 335d is a near-perfect match to our driving needs. :dunno:

- Mike

#57 · (Edited)
However, the 335d is a near-perfect match to our driving needs. :dunno:

- Mike
Mike, I still don't get that car.

It is not as exhilarating as a 335i, not by a long shot. If I wanted better fuel economy for a US car, I'd select a 328i Sport (or better yet, 128i Sport) and be done with it. It's still more fun to drive and comes with a stick.

But if I had the pick of any BMW model and wanted the perfect daily driver, fun and efficient, it'd be a 320d wagon no doubt. My wife would kill for something like that. That's where the fuel economy comes into play big time, that car gets something like 45mpg average.

As far as the track driving is concerned, I am fully prepared to admit the 335d is very close to the 335i, practically so close as to not make any difference. I know everyone refers to the same magazine article from a UK test where the d was faster than the i, but I'd like to see more tests on different tracks. In my experiences track driving the 335i, it was not the lack of torque that hampered it, rather the opposite - it had too much torque and with the open diff you could never be sure if it would hook or spin the inside. And it was quite a handful on track in the wet, in any gear. I simply cannot see how more torque at potentially lower RPMs would improve any of it.

So while I admire BMW for creating this monster of an engine, and can even understand its application to a heavy chassis good with towing/carrying (as in the X5), perhaps even in a big heavy sedan such as the 7 series, I just don't understand the reason for it being stuffed in a 3 series.

It's neither a horse nor a donkey, if you know what I mean. 330d yes, 320d hell yes.

Now clearly, a sufficient number of people are buying the 335d so they don't agree with me, which I am perfectly ok with. Just expressing a different point of view, that's all. After all, I'm not driving any of the two at the moment, I'm clearly biased towards the "fun" part of the equation. :D

#32 ·
According to that article, which I had a hard time actually reading the text of, the d is faster than the i for the scenario they were testing them in. Something about it being quicker in the exits, it was though comparing non US spec cars and have a feeling most of us here are stateside.

#53 ·
Bought the diesel X5 for a couple reasons. 1. I intend to tow a boat in the future and the low end torque is excellent for that. 2. The V-8 option on the X has nearly identical performance up until about 100mph or so(which I will rarely if ever exceed), but the D costs 10g less and gets double the mpg. 3. The V-6 in the 2009 3.0 is underpowered and still costs more than the d with worse mileage.

In the X before the 35i came out this year, it really was a no brainer to get the diesel with the $4500 credit.

In the 335i vs 335d though, the i is less expensive and the low end torque not "needed" as much as in a 5000 lb tow vehicle. Gives me a little bit more to think about and a tougher decision.

#67 ·
There are several recent buyers of 335d cars on this forum claiming the eco credit is good until the end of June and allows for 2 months delivery. Strangely enough I see it listed on the BMW NA page but only when I click on the leasing tab. If you have not talked to a dealer yet then it might be worth contacting one to see if those claims are in fact true.
I am still getting $4500 ECO credit for next month's pick up. The rates is not 5.9%. It is 2.9% for 60 months. Again, it depends on your credit worthiness

#71 ·
I am still getting $4500 ECO credit for next month's pick up. The rates is not 5.9%. It is 2.9% for 60 months. Again, it depends on your credit worthiness
I have 800+ credit. That is not an issue. I thought both diesels were on 5.9% for the last few months. Did your 2.9 come from BMW or outside sources? I saw it just changed on the website to 0.9% from BMW so I'm thinking they replaced/are replacing the ECO with the new financing. I have not talked to my dealer yet because they did not have a 335d on the lot to test drive the last time I went by, so maybe the ECO is something you have to ask for like it was when I bought my X. I ordered before it was publicly announced last summer.

#39 ·
The table though was just for straight line figures right? The article though was saying that on a track they got better times with the d due to I think it was better exit speeds out of turns due to the torque happening so quickly. Probably boils down to what characteristics someone considers makes something "faster". Most people here in the states look at how fast something gets to 60 or does the 1/4 mile in and could not really care how quickly it can navigate some twisty track. This is actually why I'd be curious to drive a 335i, I have a feeling I will feel the d is quicker with average driving needs but that the i is faster(which it clearly is) for more full throttle type of driving. Does not help when I already feel that the d is lacking something when you smash the go pedal.

#40 ·
Read the text (if you can) - the 335d beats the i around the racetrack thanks to it's torque flinging it out of each corner.

#41 ·
For those who can't read the article, here is the link > http://www.evo-s.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=6_2372_2945_3412_2979

There is no denying 335i is a faster car on a straight line drag race, however 335d is much better car on a curvy track due to its monster torque which will delivery the speed AKA HP faster and efficiently. Most drivers choose d because it is a practical daily driving vehicle. As with every cars on the market, there are pros & cons. BMW probably choose not to offer MT due to max torque reached at 1750 rpm. On the other hand, 335i is a great car until HPFP failed.

#43 ·
So the point is "an experienced professional driver can drive my car faster around a track than your car"?:dunno:

"My dad is bigger than your dad!":confused::thumbup:

#45 ·
I think the point should be that the near instant torque(which made things possible for the professional driver) might be something that makes one car more enjoyable than the other for regular driving. But is the lack of the upper end HP something that an owner would be fine with. Like I said in another post, the d to me feels like it is lacking something when you actually smash the go pedal. More so when on the freeway which would be the most common place I might smash the go pedal. I never have driven a 335i but have put a lot of miles on a couple of 328i sedans and both with AT's. I know with those that for normal driving around, the fun factor was dwindled down a ton compared to a 335d, actually I would not even say a fun factor existed since they just felt like normal every day cars unless you got into them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.