BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

335d

259K views 3K replies 186 participants last post by  ghhviking 
#1 ·
Guys, is there an area just for us compression heads?

#2 · (Edited)
Uhmm....right here? BMW only sold what...1 per dealership so far? Don't tell me all of them are ob Bimmerfest and need their own forum. :)

:)

Edit: In short, hang out here...and welcome!

#4 ·
would be nice. I've been scouring the web for everything 335d while i await my delivery... did i get ripped off, will i need winter tires, what kind of diesel should i use, what is cetane, and what the hell is torque anyway, etc etc
Driving an Accord would explain why the concept of torque is foreign to you. :rofl:

Sorry! Just couldn't resist, it's all in good fun. :angel:

Welcome! I know you'll enjoy the hell out of that 335d! :thumbup:

#8 ·
I drove my X3 2.5i to test drive the 335d. My X3 has like, 40% of the torque of the big diesel.........imagine my grin when I didn't have to rev 3750rpm to climb up the hill (I live in a mountainous region).

So, what are the specs on your ordered 335d?

#9 ·
I got the saphire black, biege dakota leather, sunroof, premium pkg, sprts pkg, leather steering wheel with shifters, premium hi-fi, 18" Style 195 staggered wheels with performance run flats.

This is replacing my current cummuter car which is a 1993 Dodge Intrepid ES. Finally bit the dust I'm afraid, but then I'm getting a new car! I get a new one every 15 years or so, even if I don't need one, :)

C'mon guys, lets at least get a forum going for the 330d and 335d going here. Are we really such a minority?

#11 ·
C'mon guys, lets at least get a forum going for the 330d and 335d going here. Are we really such a minority?
Yes and there is no 330d to be had in the US yet.

In a recent poll (haha, where is that thread) we only had about what, 3 entries for people with 335ds? I am too lazy to go back and check. :)

#14 ·
335d fuel filler neck question

To fellow US 335d drivers: how do you deal with the problem posed by diesel fuel nozzles not fitting properly into the filler neck? The plastic funnel BMW supplied with the car is not much help, and can lead to major fuel spills. The good news is the issue does not arise often as car's range between fill-ups is close to 600 miles in routine driving.

#15 ·
To fellow US 335d drivers: how do you deal with the problem posed by diesel fuel nozzles not fitting properly into the filler neck? The plastic funnel BMW supplied with the car is not much help, and can lead to major fuel spills. The good news is the issue does not arise often as car's range between fill-ups is close to 600 miles in routine driving.
Move to a more civilized area of the country with modern fuel pumps!! LOL:rofl:

That is a tricky one but maybe you could just find a different station?

#16 ·
Congrats on the new 335d. Torque is the force your butt dyno feels when you jump on the excelerator (I almost said jump on the gas, but that does not work for you) and 425lbs is sweet. I have a 315 torque non BMW, as well as driving the 300 twist 335 in Europe, both are fantastic. I imagine yours will be a monster. I saw a 330d vert at the Welt last month. If it was a option in the USA I would have checked it out at least.
What is this about a plastic funnel? Even if the thing did work, what do you do with a gas stained piece of plastic in your car? N4S

#18 ·
Patrick,

Perkele! You Finns are freaking speed nuts. No wonder, no sunlight for like 6 months. Everybody follows the rules of the road.

All of my Finnish friends drive like wildmen in other countries.

Tell us what are a few upgrades we can do to our 335d's to make them go fast?

#21 ·
:rofl:

I never speed in Finland; it is too expensive if you get caught by The Man. They are wired directly to the tax office, so those tickets are costly! :yikes:

However, unleash me in Germany on the A7 or A9, and it is a different game. :D

I have a pre-LCI, single turbo, 3.0 liter diesel, which is a bit less powerful than your 335d. If I had an E61 535d, then I might be able to suggest some things.

Re-maps are always an option with any turbo diesel, but these can cause some problems with your evil DPF (like melting it).

My E61 has the AC Schnitzer Diesel Power Upgrade, which was actually installed by a BMW service department in Germany. It increased torque from 500Nm to 600Nm, while (oddly enough) improving fuel economy.

There are some Scandinavian 535d owners that have had some serious computer work done to their cars, and have seen 670Nm of torque... That can be tough on transmissions though.

Anyway, in Europe, there are a lot of places that offer tuning upgrades for diesel BMW cars and trucks. Perhaps with diesel models now arriving in those United States and America, they will offer them to you North American enthusiasts. :)

#19 ·
OK, so it looks like we may have all of 5 or 6 330d & 335d's in a few hours.

With luck we can get a quorum of like 10 or 12! We'll be a small group, but a happy one!

I'll see if I can get an administrator to set us up with a forum.

#20 ·
I take PCD of my 335D in November/December (depending on when it is built). I'm in.

#299 ·
Do you or any other d's have a PCD delivery date set? I'm taking X5 35d on 11/2 and wanted to see if I'll have any fellow d's there as well.

#23 ·
Thanks Patrick.

Admin said if we can get enough ruckus going they will consider our request for a forum.

I was just over on the E90 site and found a few more there.

Supposedly something like 500 d's have sold in US last 7 months or so. With the $4,500 Eco Credit all the 2009 are gone. You have to place an order to get one. Try finding a used one, there aren't any. So nobody seems to be giving there's up, yet.

I'll keep beating the drum. So if there are any more of you diesel freaks out there, give out a yell.

#24 · (Edited)
I will happily kibbutz on this thread (and hopefully, eventually a bmw diesel subforum). I am on bimmerfest only because of BMW diesels coming to N America!

unfortunately, I can only gab about them for the time being (not in the budget right now)

edit: of course, to include ALL diesels, the diesel sub-forum would need to be someplace the X5 guys would post too (not here in the e9X area)

#25 ·
d'geek, welcome onboard then.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, so I can only dream about it for now.

You haven't set up your garage, so can't see what you have. Either a Jetta or a Taureg with V10!!!

I was watering at the mouth when the V10 was announced, but they didn't come out where I was living at the time. I'm not a big fan of the Tuareg anyway.

Would of done an X5d, but wasn't in the need of another SUV.

Just want a nice, fast, comfortable, efficient means of transportation.

#26 ·
I have 3 VW tdi's (97 Passat w/289K mi, 98 New Beetle w/228K mi, and 01 Golf w/245K mi). These are all the 4 cyl, 1.9L engines that make all of 90hp and 155 ft-lbs :).

I was able to test drive a 535d a couple years ago. Unbelievable car! My dream diesel bimmer would be a 330d touring.

#27 ·
Oh... I was expecting to hear about the Touareg with the V-10 bi-turbo!

See if you can test drive the 335d. I test drove the 330d some years ago out of the country, and it impressed me enough to wait until now to get one. I ordered this 335d without having ever driven one. I just can imagine what it will feel like.

If the cc came with a diesel I might consider that, but my blood actually runs BMW since I was just a kid.

#28 ·
you sir, are pretty brave to buy a car you've never driven!
I was just at a dealership this past weekend asking if they have one available for a test drive, and the salesperson said they didn't and he didn't know when they could expect another one. This would seem to handicap their efforts in getting customers to even consider a diesel purchase! Most folks who've not driven a modern diesel can't imagine what its like.

#30 ·
Nice to know that I'm not the only one buying without having test driven first. I took the 335i out instead. At least you have driven the 330d, so you probably have a pretty good idea about what you're getting, albeit some years ago.

I did notice that BMW of Sterling, VA has one 2009 335d in their lot as of this past weekend. I have already bought from Fairfax. I'm going to try and set up test drive after the fact, or sale as it were. Hopefully, they won't feel that I'm putting them out too much knowing there won't be a sale.

#43 ·
I just sold my 09TDI Jetta Sportwagen w 90K to a family member. Great car zero problems. The seats SUCK after 4 hours in the saddle.I would not have test drove the 335d had I not been hurting[literally] from the pain induced by the Jetta seats. I run big miles for work and will prolly be the highest miler in the US with the 335 . I already have 15K since July 21 delivery. I am thinking about swinging by LA to have the software reprogramed. My mileage has improved 20-25% after about 12K mi.I also installed much taller tires to reduce the rpm's at speed. Overall a great interstate cruiser.:thumbup:

#35 ·
Chris,

Nice read, thanks! While I will not put any where near the miles you do per month, it's nice to know you're still pleased with your "d". I love mine and just passed 1200 miles in the last month. I agree that this car shines at speeds well above the limit but it also shines when accelerating quickly from a stop. Best of both worlds for me!! :drive:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.