BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Anybody considering the 08 550 SP?

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  mason 
#1 ·
Looks like a M Pack for the 550i like the ZHP. I was thinking about ordering a 335i but now changing my mind to this:

THE 2008 BMW 5 SERIES
01/09/2007

To further enhance performance, the optional 550i Sport Package newly includes an Aero Kit, modified-calibration Sport suspension, 19" wheels and performance tires, and a short shift lever, in addition to Multi-Contour seats with lumbar support, sport steering wheel, sport exhaust system, and Active Roll Stabilization.
You guys think this will be like the ZHP from the E46 330i? That was the perfect car for me....

My question is: where will this SP fall between a "normal" 550i and M5 regarding suspension, shifting feel, and exhaust?

I'm hoping for more M5 and less 550i. How about the E39 guys with the MSport, how was that?

#2 ·
I owned a 2003 M-sport 540i and it was great! The handling was very sporty, but still tuned to not beat you up on the highway, I think it was the perfect balance for everyday driving. I would imagine that even with the special M-sport package the 550i will be a lot less rough and stiff than the M5.

#3 ·
How did the 03 540i M-sport exhaust compare with a stock 540i and with a M5? I'm looking for something louder than stock, in love with the M5 exhaust note :rofl:

#4 ·
The bulletin in the sticky up top says:

550i Sport Package
In addition to Active Roll Stabilization, sport Leather steering wheel, shadowline trim and multi-contour seats, the
550i new optional Sport Package includes:
M Sport Suspension
Differentiated Exhaust pipes with a sportier sounding exhaust
• 19" Double Spoke Alloy wheels and non-run flat tires (Note: wheels contain M badging)
• Aerodynamic Kit that contains body colored side rocker panels and body colored front and rear bumpers
• The Sport Package is available in 7 colors: Alpine White, Jet Black, Titanium Silver Metallic, Space Gray
Metallic, Platinum Gray Metallic, Deep Sea Blue Metallic and Carbon Black Metallic. Carbon Black Metallic
is exclusive to 550i models equipped with the Sport Package.
So an M5 with a V8 and no SMG is what it sounds like.

#10 ·
Why is that? Just curious.

The 2008 550i with the M sport package looks like it will be a beast. If available with the rumored new DSG transmission then this 360 HP machine with an M suspension could be a great deal for someone looking to shell out $20K less than a M5, right?

#13 ·
I would love the 08 SP, they are adding so much more, essentially making it an M5 without the horrible gas mileage and price sticker. I wonder if all these goodies come for free or if they are simply increasing the price of the SP.

#14 ·
I can guarantee one thing...it won't come for free. I expect it will be a package like the ZHP was on the 3-series. The usual sport package on the 3 was about $2,000....the ZHP which has a lot more was about $4,000. I think the 08 550i with M Sport Pack will be about a $65K car....still better than the $85K for a M5 although you miss out on about 140HP! :eeps:

#15 · (Edited)
Patience is a viture. There are plenty of big ticket items to keep me happy. New Amps, new camera, new HDTV, new iMac, make international trip twice a year, remodel my house...I am fully occupied.

It is really 4 years. 2012 will be deliveried in 2011. Besides, I don't lease car, changing car every 2-3 years don't make sense to me.

#18 ·
***197;gent99;2135174 said:
Everyone's situation is different. It can make PERFECT sense to some.

In CA, the sale's tax savings are one. Plus, if you do ED (European Delivery), you will want to go back to Europe every 2-3 years (or sooner!) to pick up a new BMW and drive it on the awesome German autobahn! :thumbup:
Well, agree that everyone has different situation and opinion. I don'thave to use ED as a reason to travel in Europe. Plus, it is just my philosophy that only buy once in each model generation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.