BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2003 540i reverse light problem

983 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  cme 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All.
While installing a new battery I made two mistakes. 1. I put the negative cable on first; and 2. I caused a spark when tightening the positive cable. Anyway my reverse light went out and it is not the bulb or a fuse. I swapped bulb holders and still no reverse light. I swapped my right and left taillight units and then both didn't work. Anyway anyone experience this issue before. After discussing with a mechanic friend he believes I need a new passenger side taillight unit or a new LCM. Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Chet

#4 ·
Not have an automatic I'll be shooting from the hip on this.
Do all of your gear indicator light up if you move the shifter thru all of the gear positions? The console indicator lights as well as in the speedo cluster?
Have you checked F15, 24, and 38?
The signals from the tranny switch and shifter go to the GM and the LCM. I think the GM feeds them to the speedo cluster. The LCM powers the reverse lights (actually all external lights). On a 6 speed there is a reverse switch in the tranny that is wired to the speedo cluster. The auto is more complicated. Hope this helps, if anyone knows more please chime in.

#5 ·
Jim. Thanks for the info. Yeah all the interior lights work and the fuses you noted are still intact. I will check on the light unit and then LCM.
Thanks again.
Chet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.