BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Help: Wheel suggestions needed for my X5

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  DAS BOOT 
#1 · (Edited)
I currently have the OEM 18" X 8.5 (style 69) non-staggered wheels on my 2001 3.0i X5. I'm looking into getting a set of the replica style 87 in the 20" size.

(for reference on X5 wheel styles: http://zoouz.free.fr/e53_wh.htm)

So I have 2 questions:

(1.) Is style 87 available in the market for the 20" non-staggered style for my 2001 X5? Basically, I want the same size on the front and back.

(2.) If the style is available for the model year of my X5, what do I need to know about any issues pertaining to wheel well clearance, rotors/calipers clearance, offsets, etc. before I make a purchase?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, in advance for any feedback!

#2 ·
Answers to your Q's.

1. Yes you can get replica style 87 non-staggered. They would be 20x9.5 and appropriate tire size is either 275/40/20 all-around or 295/40.

2. Style 87 (OEM or replica) would have correct offsets and will clear your 3.0 X5 with room to spare. However if I can remember correctly if your X5's build date is earlier than 2/2001 then these wheels might not fit properly. I has to do with the change in the steering component on all MY01 beginning from that date.

So check your X's build date and be sure to check with your dealer to be certain before you make the purchase.

GL!

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the answers to my questions

Thanks for the answers to my questions, BreytonX5! I will definitely take note of the valuable info that you've provided me. Let me know if you have any recommendations for reliable and reputable tire/wheel companies I should look into.

Off subject, I noticed you're from Toronto. As a hockey fan, I'd cheer on the Maple Leafs; it's just too bad there is no NHL season!

Thanks, again!

#4 ·
X5-4-fighting said:
Thanks for the answers to my questions, BreytonX5! I will definitely take note of the valuable info that you've provided me. Let me know if you have any recommendations for reliable and reputable tire/wheel companies I should look into.

Off subject, I noticed you're from Toronto. As a hockey fan, I'd cheer on the Maple Leafs; it's just too bad there is no NHL season!

Thanks, again!
If your X5's build date is after Feb/01 then you should be fine with those 20s.

Yup I'm also a true-blue, die-hard, long-suffering Leafs fan :cry:. But I don't really care anymore. The damage 's already been done by those greedy, rich players.

#5 ·
But I don't really care anymore. The damage 's already been done by those greedy, rich players.
Damn Skippy!!!! No TV contract = no big salaries, I cannot beleive they cant get that through Bob Goodenows thick skull!!!
Step off soapbox...

I bought 4 9.5X20" for my winter set up from AAA tire in MI They are on Ebay all the time check there for the number, I paid ~900 for the set IIRC

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.