BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Snows ? #%^&%#%#

3K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  pmacd55 
#1 ·
Ok so my new E93 will be my first rear wheel drive car since my 77 Z-28 Camaro !

Does anyone have experience with snow tires on this baby ? Will I even need them in New England with the All Seasons ? I leave the all seasons on my X3 and could drive thru anything but that things a beast in the weather.

Right now if anything, I'm thinking about a second wheel/tire set from say tire rack and picking up a hydraulic jack. Easy on - Easy Off ? I know the dealer will offer winter package but I'm guessing those will be jacked. LOL and I'm looking to keep it under 2k.

Whats a good brand of wheel ? I am willing to use a non-BMW. I'm thinking of Blizzaks or the Pirellis winters for tires.

Is there anything I should care about like jacking points or even getting a torque wrench. Theres no crazy washers, spacers or anything on a new stock E93 right when I take the wheels off ? Yes I've changed tons of wheels just not on a BMW. Anyways I don't even have the car back from ED yet but have woken up to a couple of 50 degree mornings already.

Yes I know I could search and google but I've done that until my fingers bleed and still can't decide.

TIA !

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
LOL^, CAL your link doesn't provide any search results for me, btw. Sigh, the annual winter tire threads have officially started this year, damn I already miss summer.

edit: OP if you are doing one wheel at a time, you can use the lift points next to each wheel. Burger makes a jack pad adapter that fits right in, so you don't have to worry about damaging the lift points. If two wheels at a time, each end has a central lift point, then you could use jack stands; there I still use stands with the rectangular blocks, but by far most people here do not. That's all I can offer atm.

#7 ·
You folks that have been here for a while must know the cycle of life with the noobs by now !! LOL... I'm down with the Blizzaks ,.. looking for wheels. Can't believe I'll be closing up the pool in 3 weeks !

#8 ·
OK, location = NH.

Plan to drive if it's snowing? If yes, snow tires. I run Blizzaks on Rial Salerno wheels.

Plan on waiting until it stops snowing and the roads are cleared? If yes, all seasons. I run Continental DWS tires when the Blizzaks aren't on. Acceptable in surprise snow. Miserable in freezing rain.

#11 ·
Thanks Zooks... Drive in snow=yes... many have recommended Blizzaks so thats where I am going as I am out before the plows. I don;t thing anything is good in freezing rain. I'll check out the Rial Salerno wheels too.

#9 ·
Snows ? #%^&%#%#

I second the notion of Blizzaks with Rials

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#28 ·
Bavarian Autosport has them for about the same cost. Just missed their $177 special (maybe ask/plead for the special $)
http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

I've heard the Blizzaks are great tires yet they wear out fairly quickly when the roads/temps start to become more prevalent.

And I had very good results with the Dunlop Winter Sports which are now available in a RFT if you wish to go that route.

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/Winter...abriolet&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=Base+Model

Tom
+1 on the Dunlops

#14 ·
pmacd55, I realized there is more you asked that is not yet answered, yes you want a torque wrench, 88.5 ft/lb (120 nm) is the spec. I even recently read someone saying he torques to a certain lower spec, and then retorques them all to the proper spec, dunno how overkill that is. If I bought a wrench all over again, I would investigate the advantages of the electronic ones over my clicking beam wrench if that's what it's called. My larger torque wrench has so far been handy for my diff plug, but I think that's it outside of the wheels... cheers...

#15 ·
Man, I'm so lame. All you guys with torque wrenches. For the last 35 year's I've just been using the lug wrench to tighten my lug nuts/bolts to an unmeasured firm snugness. Haven't lost a lug nut/bolt or wheel in all that time.

#17 ·
I am also from the hand tight back off a quarter turn school but don't mind spending for a proper torque. Kind of off topic but on my ED, I fell in love with this car. I originally thought it would be entry to an 335is or an M3 in a couple of years but like a date with a plain looking girl who turns out to be the best thing ever, there is so much more behind it and I only want the best.

#18 ·
And THAT is what I was afraid of. Instead of spending 2,000 on wheels+tires, buy yourself a rusted-through winter beater with 200,000 miles on it.

I don't know how your X-drive E90 fared in the salted slush, but my E92 has rust on wheel bolts even, let alone calipers and rotor hub. Needless to say, it looks like sh*it. It looks so bad that I'm contemplating 4 corners brake job when rears are due to replace - probably next spring. Mind, this is southern Ohio we are talking about - Kentucky, basically. That car saw maybe 4 days of snow and another 6-7 of slush in 3 years.

BMWs don't melt in snow, but they LOVE to rust in unsuspected places. If that doesn't bother you, proceed as planned. Otherwise, you could still get them painted (calipers, rotor hubs) and get set of truly galvanized bolts (20 of them) for your wheels.

#19 ·
Oh man, never thought about the rust. I don't think I can drive a beater though... had too many over the years. I'm pretty religous about washing so thanks for the heads up, I'll have to double up in the winter months, lucky there is a great wash down the street !

#20 ·
The first thing is forget the Rials and get BMW steel wheels, the pot holes and frost heaves will bend them very quickly. Next when you change the wheels wire brush everything and put anti-seize on, you'll be so happy you did in the spring. Snow tires are religious. I've used Conti's, Dunlops and may try the Hakkapalitta's if they are H rated. I would recommend whatever you get go -1 on the size of the tires

#21 · (Edited)
My E46 had the 16" BMW steelies years ago from Tire Rack, but I thought they had been discontinued and Tire Rack no longer lists them in either 16" or 17". If they can still be had they are the most cost effective way to go.

And I had very good results with the Dunlop Winter Sports which are now available in a RFT if you wish to go that route.

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/Winter...abriolet&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=Base+Model

Tom

#23 ·
You can usually find used BMW factory wheels on Craigslist or Ebay. Stick with good wheels. Snows can be had lots of places - Tirerack has good tire reviews.

#25 ·
For my wife's e93 we have a set of Blizzak LM-25's on 17" Sport Edition A7's. They came from tirerack as a complete setup w/ tpms. Big thanks to the previous owner for these!
They look OK on car. (Sorry, no winter picture)Since its winter, don't mind too much on the looks and I pay more attention to keeping the car clean and not the wheels.

On a side note, last season my wife picked up a nail in one of them. Since they are OEM size tires, they are covered by the tire/wheel warranty. Once again, thanks previous owner!

Attachments

#26 ·
My BMW sales manager specifically told me that tire and wheel insurance doesn't cover non-BMW wheels or tires. That is the main reason I didn't get it given I am probably driving on winters longer than summers considering where I live.

The Sport Edition wheels are some of the cheapest you can buy. Probably worst than Rials. I guess you haven't hit a big enough pothole yet.

#31 ·
We've carried and used a bunch of different types of snow tires over the years. But by far the best have been the Nokian Hakkapelitta's. They perform great and they seem to last quite a bit longer than most snow tires. For a 328i we have several options available ranging from 16" steels with 205/55/16's to 18" packages with Beyern wheels. The 16" steel package is $974.95 but it doesn't include TPMS sensors. But we sell genuine BMW TPMS sensors. We have not had good luck with aftermarket sensors. We can custom-build a package too. Buy any wheel with a correct sized snow tire and TPMS sensors from us and we'll install the sensors and mount/balance the wheels and tires for free. And being in NH the OP may be able to pick them up here and save a bunch on shipping too.

#32 ·
And being in NH the OP may be able to pick them up here and save a bunch on shipping too.
No sales tax, either.

Of course, we're supposed to report out-of-state purchases and pay the tax every year with our income tax returns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.