BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

About to pull the trigger

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  TamaToa916 
#1 ·
On a 2004 745LI. I have own 6 BMWs since high school but never a 7 series. What can I look for when checking the car to make sure that it is not something that will give me a headache. I can handle a couple of problems here and there, but want to avoid a complete failure if I can. I know there cars have a ton of electronics so I know what i am getting into, just wanted to know what to look for when inspecting it.

#16 ·
I would never tell anyone not to purchase
something they want . But may I suggest
you use the SEARCH feature on this site to
do some research on the vehicle & potential
problems that might.come your way .

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
That's good advice if you're not putting someone in a predicament. The fact is these cars are going on 7-13 years of age. Someone shopping for a 7 of that age alot of times doesn't have the budget to maintain one. There's nothing wrong with making them fully aware of your experience.

I bought my 745i knowing full well what was wrong with it and what I was getting into(Im a tech) . I spent $4k outright on parts, did the labor myself. The same work done at a dealer would approach $15k. The car is nearly perfect now. I love it. No regrets.

#18 ·
My personal opinion -
If you have time and a lot of money to spend then go right ahead - the ride is amazing BUT

Believe you me when I say get one that's been looked after - but even then you can't avoid many problems even if you do preventative maintenance - merc has better built quality -

You will have sleepless nights worries just like 745 said -

Let me know if you want me to list the problems -

I would stay clear off of it if you want a reliable car ;)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.