BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Intermittent blower issue, I have replaced everything!

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  dc_wright 
#1 ·
Hey guys first post here after selfishly abusing your amazing knowledge for years.

My 1997 328i with 260,000 miles would not be on the road today if it weren't for all of the help from all of you. I really appreciate your problems :)

So into my issue. I started having an intermittent blower, only coming on randomly for short spurts. I have control of everything when the blower is on, AC and heat work great. I replaced the blower motor 6 months ago before a gnarly road trip from Kansas to Seattle, Washington and into Canada! The blower motor worked flawless the last 6 months. I replaced the FSU, cabin filter (which was completely clogged) and multiple fuses before eventually replacing the blower motor.

I have seen the capacitor issues on the climate control but everything functions perfectly. No random light shut off. Lights up and the blower range is displayed, as well as, all the buttons work great, just no blower.

I recently dug into the cabin filter after seeing dust in the cabin and it had a few leaves but was pretty dusty as well. I am at an impasse and have no idea where to go from here. I'm not sure how to go about testing voltages on each part to find the issue or if it could be the blower again?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

See less See more
#5 ·
It was a URO part but couldn't actually locate where it was made. It was a cheaper blower motor. Hope that's not the case. I have used URO parts in the past ranging from made in U.S.A to Mexico to China. I'll check out my warranty either way sounds like I may have to gain access to the blower again.

#7 ·
The only things I would ever buy from URO are rubber spring cushions, shock dust boots etc.: things with no moving or electrical parts.

#6 ·
... So into my issue. I started having an intermittent blower, only coming on randomly for short spurts. I have control of everything when the blower is on, AC and heat work great. I replaced the blower motor 6 months ago before a gnarly road trip from Kansas to Seattle, Washington and into Canada! The blower motor worked flawless the last 6 months. I replaced the FSU, cabin filter (which was completely clogged) and multiple fuses before eventually replacing the blower motor...
What about the relay upstream of the FSU?

#8 ·
Problem Solved: FSU failed

So I took my old fsu that I replaced before I replaced the blower and just tried unplugging the 'new' fsu for the swapped 'old' fsu and immediately the blower fired back up.

I must have read wrong in the forums because I thought the blower would continue to function if the fsu was fried in the highest setting. I have digital climate control and that function must only work with the manual 'knobs'.

I appreciate the help and will consider what parts I use in the future. I still can't believe it was the FSU that failed so quickly. I guess it's safe to say, never assume ANYTHING!

You guys are gentlemen and scholars!

#9 ·
Problem Solved: FSU failed

So I took my old fsu that I replaced before I replaced the blower and just tried unplugging the 'new' fsu for the swapped 'old' fsu and immediately the blower fired back up.

I must have read wrong in the forums because I thought the blower would continue to function if the fsu was fried in the highest setting. I have digital climate control and that function must only work with the manual 'knobs'.

I appreciate the help and will consider what parts I use in the future. I still can't believe it was the FSU that failed so quickly. I guess it's safe to say, never assume ANYTHING!

You guys are gentlemen and scholars!
The most common FSU failure is that it fails shorted. the blower motor runs but you have no speed control. The less common failure is an open, and that sounds like what yours was doing intermittently.

On the URO blower motor, use URO parts with caution. I've gotten URO brand parts that were so good you couldn't tell them from the OEM, and also some that were just pure crap. It really depends on who they're sourcing them from at any given time. My approach is to use a known quantity brand for anything that takes more than 10-15 minutes to replace. For something easily reachable that's a quick swap out, I'll take some risk occasionally. The blower motor definitely falls outside this category for me! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.