BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  hornhospital 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Yesterday my 94 325i started juddering and thudding violently while in gear and under acceleration. The problem occurred after about two hours of driving through mountain passes and feels to be underneath the front seats towards the rear end of the car. I pulled over almost immediately as I suspected a suspension or wheel problem but could not see anything wrong after individually taking each wheel off and inspecting the lower suspension. After taking off again I did not get far before the problem got worse and I was forced to pull off at the next exit. I then popped the hood and noticed that the radiator fan had become jammed on the coolant overflow hose due to a broken clip which I then fixed with several zap straps. Although temp gauge in the car had not gone over 90 degrees at any point on my trip I then allowed the engine to cool down for some time. I then turned the vehicle around and started to head home which was mainly downhill or flat. I noticed little to no juddering on the 2 hour way home in 5th gear at around 120 km/hr including acceleration/decceleration. However as I neared home I was forced to slowly go up a final incline at around 50 km/hr to avoid the problem. Today I fueled the car up with premium fuel seeing as I thought the problem could have been detonation but it failed to lessen the problem. The onboard computer has had "Check Coolant Level" on the screen since I bought the car but the coolant level is at the appropriate level and has barely changed. The problem seems to only occur while in gear at varying rpm's and it especially bad if the throttle is opened past 50%. My initial reaction was that it seemed as if a large rock was bouncing up and down underneath my car. RWD 1994 325i E36 Convertible with 84000 miles/135000 km on it.

Thanks for the help!
-Peter

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.