BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1996 E36 Issues with factory security system?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jkyle_323i 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I am new to the forum, but have read many articles on this site as the owner of my 2000 323i and it has been so helpful :) So here it goes!

My boyfriend and I are currently looking into possibly buying a 1996 325i (which I have been reading and have found out it actually might be a 328i?). The car has been sitting at a mechanics shop for over year and apparently has a problem with the factory security system and will not start!

We can potentially get this car for pretty cheap as it will probably end up going to the wrecker, so does anyone have any knowledge about this issue?? Is it common? Easy and cheap to fix? I did read an article about deleting the EWS and bypassing it and I'm wondering if this is possibly the same issue?

Any info would be greatly appreciated as I am potentially going to be selling my 323 and replacing it with this car if it is going to be an easy/cheap fix!

Thank you!!

#2 ·
A '96 model will have the EWSII anti theft system and it's not easily bypassed. Yes, you can buy a reflash for the DME that ignores the EWS system, but that's really intended for use in track dedicated cars where everything else has been stripped out. There's a recent thread here in the forum where the OP even replaced the EWSII system and DME from a donor car, and I haven't seen a post where he's gotten it to start yet.

#3 ·
I've had my EWSII coded out on my 1997 M3 - anyone who's good with INPA / PA Soft can do it.

#4 ·
In searching the range of possible no-start problems, I've seen ads for several places that you send your DME and EWS boxes to for re-programming. They seem to charge around $300 and up. One of the places offers to test your DME first, which if legit, would at least reduce the confusion. No personal experience though. At least not yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.