BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Z3 Tail Light Question

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Bill Terry 
#1 ·
I cannot attach the tail light covers in the truck of my Z3. The thumbscrew in the cover doesn't quite reach the screw on the back side of the assembly. Is there an extension of some sort?

Thanks

Bill

#2 ·
I cannot attach the tail light covers in the truck of my Z3. The thumbscrew in the cover doesn't quite reach the screw on the back side of the assembly. Is there an extension of some sort?
Were the plastic covers on originally, and you took them off to change bulbs or whatever, and now you cannot re-attach the covers?
If so, maybe the felt trunk liner under the plastic cover is not pressed as tightly against the body as it was, and is keeping the thumbscrews from meeting their screw posts.
Maybe some wiring behind the felt lining shifted and got under the felt where the edge of the plastic cover presses, keeping the cover from going back onto the screw.

#3 ·
Tail Light Covers Further

Thanks for the replies, but there's still a problem. No upholstery, wires or anything appears to be in the way. It looks like the thumb screw in the cover is supposed to connect to the bronze screw coming from the tail light housing, but is about a half inch too short. (They were off when I bought it)
Probably something simple but I can't figure it out.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.