BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Changing indicator stalks

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  stefan2m 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I realize this is (most likely) not a very common or sought after mod, but I'm still going to ask ;)

I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to change their old stalks with those fancier ones from a newer (ie. e46/e39) model?
On pics from ebay the units (to which the stalks themselves are connected to) seem to be similar in shape, so if they fit the slots on the column that'd be great, or when they don't fit, can I fit the 'new' stalks in the 'old' units without too much change to the parts? (other than soldering the wires)

I know I probably need to change connectors (and/or pin-out), but I'm wondering more about fitment of the units in the slots.

#4 ·
Aesthetically sound or not, main reason for me is that I'm 6'7", and my knees are pretty close to the stalks... ;)

I do have an obc, but no cruise control (unfortunately), so my guess is that when I get stalks with the obc button, there should be no problem, it's the same principle as the superwash button on the right stalk as far as I can see.

#3 ·
Hmm would it match the rest of the interior though? The interior is much different looking than the E46's, there's more sharp angles in the E34 which makes the stalks look like they belong with the car.

I like the idea though. If you end up doing it post up a DIY and some pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.