BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Noisy electric water pump during bleeding procedure

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  habbyguy 
#1 ·
I was surprised by the amount of noise coming from the water pump when speeding up and slowing down during the 12 minute automatic bleeding process. It sounded like the screetchy noise a worn out bearing would produce.
Before the coolant change I read many posts about it and seem to remember that some people wanted to know, how they could tell the pump was working at all, because they could not hear anything.
There is no CEL.

#2 · (Edited)
Good [electric] water pump shouldn't make any noises except the noise of water flowing thru it. If the surroundings are quiet, you will hear the humming noise from the electric water pump when it's operating. If you are sure the screech is coming from the water pump, I'd recommend you to replace it.

#8 · (Edited)
I replaced the pump. My Indy suggested back then to wait until it fails, but since I use the car mainly for extended road trips I did not want to take a chance. That was 35K miles ago and the new pump quietly is doing its job.
If you just replaced it and it is noisy there is something wrong. Did you do the job yourself? Otherwise take it back to have it done correctly.

#9 ·
Does everyone agree the coolant pump should be silent? Here's how mine sounds during the bleed procedure (2010 E61, 39K miles, original pump):

In trying to find something to compare it to I found this recording of a new pump that sounds identical to mine:

#10 ·
It definitely makes audible noise during the bleed procedure. But, unless you have the mic right up against the pump, that sounds too loud. I've changed three pumps and bleed the system another half dozen times on top of that (over two cars with electric pumps).

#11 ·
Oof. That can't be good. It's not like there's something external that can be adjusted... if the pump itself is making that much noise (and the coolant system isn't drastically low on coolant), you're in for the joy of swapping the pump and thermostat. The noise the new pump makes in that second video at the very end is "normal" - you can hear it, but it's quiet enough that the gurgling of the water flow under the radiator cap neck is audible. Doesn't sound like that's the OP's situation, unless he has the most sensitive microphone on earth! ;-)

#13 ·
Yes, I think a tech would tell you that pump is toast (or at least very, very warm bread that will be popping out of the toaster momentarily). ;-)

I hadn't heard about the class action suit (the link didn't have any details on the remedies). If BMW will replace the pump as part of the agreement, I'd have to believe you're a prime candidate. My E61 is a 2006, so apparently not covered (plus, I already preemptively replaced my pump, which was still working fine at the time).

#14 ·
I hadn't heard about the class action suit (the link didn't have any details on the remedies).
https://electriccoolantpumpsettlement.com/Common-Questions -> what are the benefits? -> paragraph 4, if you’re curious.

So far the BMW service advisors I’ve left messages for aren’t returning my calls, hah. I’m going to compare the noise to my other E61 and E60 soon as well. I’ll report back with any updates.

#15 ·
Looks like I'm out of luck (my car isn't listed), but even if it was, I'd be out of luck because it appears the date for replacing a bad pump and getting reimbursed has long (!) since passed... here's the relevant portion of the text (since the last E60s were produced in 2010, meaning that the timer ran out on the newest E60 / E61 around four years ago, barring any very late sales of 2010 model year vehicles in later years)...

6. What are the benefits of the Settlement?
Answer:
You may be eligible for reimbursement of up to $1,000 in total in costs for replacement of one (1) failed electric engine coolant pump and, if also damaged, one (1) engine coolant thermostat, per VIN, per owner/lessee if the replacement occurred prior to the earlier of the first 7 years or 84,000 miles of the Class Vehicle’s in-service date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.