BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

330 Owners..Report for duty!

65K views 506 replies 144 participants last post by  buckhorn7 
#1 ·
I just want to see how many 330i are in existance in this forum. One of my fellow 330i owner observed that we have a amount of owners in the forum....but it seems that those ones are preferring to "keep it" low and ghosty.

If anyone has a good story about a 330i, please posted in here. If anyone has a good grasp of how the 330i emerged and eventually was phased out of the US market...please feel free to share it....

If anyone want to share modification techniques, high performance parts of the 330, tips, etc etc...please feel free to share....

There is a whole lots of 330 owners....lets show right here, right now!...:thumbup:

Rican

#2 ·
I lost to a 335i by about 4 car lengths to 70 the other day

#3 ·
Well....hey.......hum......what can I say....a 335 is a 335....a really fast, easy to mod beast...the 330i is not as powerfull as the 335 but certainly is better that the 328i,,,,,,

The good thing ......you still got the car right? So still a Champ!

#5 ·
Just last week, I stopped by Hollywood Video to pick up a few movies to watch. Since it was a spontaneous thought, I just left the house in my lounging attire in which consisted simply of a t-shrit, worn out sweats and slippers. Once there, I took my time to carefully pick a combination of 3 tasteful movies that both my wife and I would be able to equally enjoy. It was quite early in the day, therefore the store was almost empty. As I make my way to the checkout counter, I surprisingly notice two fairly young employees staring at my car through the glass window. I recently upgraded to 19 inch chrome wheels, in which they make the 330i far more attractive. I give them a few more seconds to admire my beauty, then I suggestively cleared my throat in order to let them know that a customer needed service. As one of the employees walks back towards me, he comments: "That's a hot 330 out there; I've always wanted one of those since they came out late '05" assuming that the "hot" ride outside the store did not belong to me. I then smiled and nodded my head in sign of agreement. Once the transaction was complete, the young employee went back to join his buddy and the both continued to admire the 330i. That's when I walked out the store, got into my car and drove off. :cool:

#17 ·
We should start our own discussion group since this one seems to 335 specific, even though it's for all e90s.....
Yeah....true...there isn't much about us....ok....someone...send a message to the system admin to create a new discussion group for us...!!!!

Or,, Sys admin...if you are reading this post...can you create a new group for 330 owners?

Rican

#9 ·
There is a whole lots of 330 owners....lets show right here, right now!...:thumbup:

Rican
I picked up my 330i last month with 17k miles. Then, 2 weeks ago I got my new 17" wheels and Pirrelli Scottozero winter rubber. Wow, the ride is way better than the OEM 18" summer tires with 17K on them! When the roads here are a little more clear I look forward to leaving the truck home and seeing what the 330 can do!

Seems to me the 328 is almost halfway between the '06 325 and 330 in terms of power and tourque, and they went to it to leave some room between the 328 and 335 for '07 and later.

I drove a 325 before the 330, and I'm glad I stepped up. For the power, sure, but also for the standard features. AFAIK the mileage is the same for the 325 and 330 as well! :)

#16 ·
Well.....you need to get on it and tested as hard as you want...that little beast you have is thirsty for being driven hard and fast..and trust me....it can go very fast!

#11 ·
I’m a proud owner of a ’06 330i…at least that is for the next three more months until I pick up my 335i coupe in Munich!!!!
Honestly, the 330i is terrific. Going from a ’03 325Ci to a ’06 330i was a significant difference. Stay strong boys! :thumbup:

#12 ·
I'm a proud owner of a '06 330i…at least that is for the next three more months until I pick up my 335i coupe in Munich!!!!
Honestly, the 330i is terrific. Going from a '03 325Ci to a '06 330i was a significant difference. Stay strong boys! :thumbup:
Traitor! You have turned into the twin turbo dark side! :violent: Just messing with you dude, I'm also waiting to place an order for a new M3 :banana:

#15 ·
The truth of the matter here is that there are many proud 330i owners and we have not gotten much recognition. True, technology changes and improve....however, this is a car that we may not see coming again out of the BMW conveyors. Take for example the 330i ZHP....wouldn't you agree that the vehicle is quite a legend? I think so. Why not have a thread that talks about the things you do with your 330i?

Now...well....the word "kill"....I think that I heard too much of that with James Bolton :eeps::tsk:........and I do not want to kill this thread with it.

Who knows what is coming in the future....but surely this car.....it left its mark....

For me...well, I plan to keep this car for a long while. I know that in 5 years...there is going o be much more powerfull cars...but this one is very special....one of kind......

Rican

#21 ·
HA HA, i think my garage beats yours....
(But i do like that DUCATI you got there...) :yikes::thumbup:
Thanks! I wasn't sure anyone would even be able to make out the Duc in that tiny avatar picture.

Actually, my garage is sadly lacking in space - it barely houses the cars and other bikes and the truck actually sits outside right now. We're adding another garage bay soon, hopefully next year....getting tired of removing the snow off of the thing....

#22 ·
Rican, thanks for starting this thread. I for one wouln't mind if these forums were broken down into smaller, more specific groups...I find this E90 forum is way too generic and it has more 335 discussion than I care to browse. No worries though...just a minor gripe.

I've owned my 330i for just a few months, but I'm convinced it is an exceptional automobile. Incredible balance, poise, refinement, and performance. I'm sure the twin turbo is a blast, but for me 255hp is enough considering my last car was a 167hp Volvo. I also like the fact that it was only produced for one year...kinda makes it a unique 3 series among the 3 series. So that's why this thread is interesting and helps identify this small community withing the BMW family.

My favorite experience thus far is gunning my 330i up to about 120 exiting the freeway onto a Texas frontage road to make space between me and the Jeep that insisted on tailgating me...if I was still driving the Volvo I would have just yielded to him...no more my friends. I now feel like I have the power under my right foot to call some of the shots...not all, but some. And off ramps are a blast too. Rican, still looking for you out ther in SA.

#30 ·
True....( Hey neighbor....I will be on the lookout for you as well Bro'...)

I would like to atract other owners as well so they can coment about it. I don't have a 335i and I probably won't have it in a long while....so far, my car is paid off...so, I wan to truly enjoy it before I give it to my son....( in 10 years )..then I will get....who knows....the 390i? or 395i? ....Tri-turbo with 500hp? (just making up something)

Well, I am more conservative....I get chastized by my wife because she says that I drive to slow....only she doesn't know that I enjoying the driving and well...two beauties being touched by my hands while driving...her and my car....so, driving at 80 mph is fun as well....plus looking at the the people staring at the car....is fun.....

RicaN

#24 ·
Hi! I've owned a 330i for about 2+ years. I was initially pretty pissed off because just a few months after I bought the 330i, BMW came out with the 335i, and that car is such a rocket (and for only about $2k more). However, I've grown to love my 330i. It's a very practical car, the fuel economy is fantastic, it's got very decent performance, unbeatable handling, and the engine and ride are both buttery smooth. Also, when the problems with the fuel pump, etc, etc, started to turn up on the forum, I was even more grateful for my relatively trouble-free (knock on wood!) 330i. I plan to keep the car for a couple more years, and then trade up to a 335i convertible. :)

cheers,
suntan

#25 ·
I was also on your same boat... then I realized that the first few 07 335i models were not coming out with oil coolers, therefore too many 335 cars were having overheating issues. Some say that first year production models are not a good investment since they are prone to issues; that was not the case with the 330i.
Owner for over two years, 17K miles, 100% problem-free. :thumbup:

#27 ·
I'm here. But only 12 months and counting to the new 335!!!!

The 330 is a great great car. It misses the 335's performance but is still what I consider 'quick'.

Very minor iDrive/Progman issues that were fixed. We have about 17500 miles on it.

Everyone that drives it compliments it.

#28 ·
I bought mine in August of this year.....After my Mercedes Benz got hit on the right side of the passenger front fender...my wife...(God Bless her!!) asked me if I have consider to sell the MB and buy the BMW...well....I drove her car few times...and I was impress already...so, she didn't had to ask twice....same day I was looking for the car in the internet...luckily I found one, ironically, same as hers....so...ever since, those two cars has been trouble free....not one single trouble with the vehicle...and we drive quite extensively....

The car is strong, smooth, refined....quick, and subtle....can't be beat.

Now, lets see....being that the car, under the E90 model was produced only one year...what would that means to us???? Means...would the car become collectible? Would be in high demand later on? Etc etc.....

Would anyone mind to comment about it?

Rican

#31 ·
#29 ·
I do feel a bit put out about owning an 'orphan' model. I would bet that no more than 25-30,000 copies were made. Hopefully, there are no major problems specific to this particular model, such as malfunctions of the adaptive intake system.[/QUOTE]

well....who knows if in the future BMW plans to bring it back....I hope so...

#34 ·
330i - less than 15,000 miles on her. Will not trade up to another 3 series. If I trade up it will be a 5 series, but not anytime soon. Love the 330i, love the fact it is trouble free and drives like a dream.

#37 ·
Love my 330i, but barely drive it

Thanks for starting this thread, as I was starting to think the 330i (E90) wasgoing to fade into oblivion.

I picked up my '06 330i in August of '05, and have been very pleased. Black on black with 6-speed and the sport package. Due to the nasty winters in Connecticut, the car has sat in storage during the winter months the last few years. While I love the combination of performance and handling, and the overall balance of the car, I am leaning towards trading it in towards a 335i convertible. I drove the 335i coupe last week, and was blown away by it's performance. Even though they only had an automatic to drive, it still seemed quicker than the Audi S5 I took out a while back. My 330i has been a great car, but since the car isn't driven in the winter, I might as well go for the convt. The 400+ lb weight difference between the coupe and the convt. has me a little concerned, but I guess it's the price you have to pay for a hardtop.

#44 ·
So, how different is the 3.0 normally aspirated engine between the 330 (255 hp) and X3 (260hp)? And, for that matter, the 328? Maybe the multi-stage intake, valvetronic (?), and software?

For those of you worrying about having an orphan engine in your 2006 330, I suspect there isn't a lot of unique parts that could fail, even just considering the US market.

#45 ·
So, how different is the 3.0 normally aspirated engine between the 330 (255 hp) and X3 (260hp)? And, for that matter, the 328? Maybe the multi-stage intake, valvetronic (?), and software?

For those of you worrying about having an orphan engine in your 2006 330, I suspect there isn't a lot of unique parts that could fail, even just considering the US market.
To tell you the truth I've been wondering the same thing about the X3's engine since it's only a 5lb difference on both HP and torque.
I think the main difference between the 330 and the 328 engines are the intakes as you mentioned. The 328 uses a single-stage intake while the 330 uses a dual-stage intake.

#50 ·
Then plan to keep it for a looooonnnng time because those cars.....don't die.....:thumbup:

Rican

#54 ·
Okay, I'll chime in. I've had a CPO '06 (10/06) 330i for two weeks now. I drove the Lexus (didn't like the ride), drove the Infiniti G35 (twitchy on the throttle). I'm glad I went with the 330. I mean, really, there's plenty of power unless you just have to have bragging rights.

No stories yet, just a smile on my face when I drive.

#87 ·
#62 ·
Another 330i owner here. If I saw the 335 on the horizon I would have waited but I'm fairly happy for over two years now. I chose mine over the IS350, after driving both. Cars are about more than their HP. I'll probably trade into something sportier in about a year.

Liking my current BMW dealer very much, the Z4M Coupe is attractive. The new M3 does nothing for me and the 335 is not different enough, aside from motor, to want to upgrade. I sort of want to see what Nissan does with the 350Z (test mules suggest smaller/lighter, maybe with G37-ish motor) since I probably won't pay for the GTR. Maybe a lightly used Cayman S would work for me. If I wasn't holding a big grudge against Chevy dealers (I had a C5 Z06 with warranty issues) I'd consider another vette.

#63 · (Edited)
Another proud 330i owner. Did ED in late 2005. The car drives very well. I actually prefer the naturally aspirated inline 6 to a turbo-charged engine.
The issues I have had were centered around premature tire wear of Bridgestone Turanza EL42 (went through three sets in 18,000 miles all replaced by BMW under warranty), now on Contis and they seem to be holding up. Had steering lock issue last year and a O2 sensor replacement recently.

Not crazy about 335i turbo-charged upgrade.

Next up would be a naturally aspirated V8 ...

ad2005

#66 ·
March 2006 - ED 330i/6-Spd/Prem/Nav/Sport here.. Not a single problem to date. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.