BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2010 535x Winter Tires Runflat or Not ?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Gilgorm 
#1 ·
I am considering putting non runflat winter tires on my 2010 535xi. Is this an absolute no/no in terms of messing up the car's suspension or is this a good idea ? Any recommendations for tire makes ?

Thanks for your comments

#2 ·
I ran 18" Conti DWS for the past 2 winters with no complaints. Excellent handling and no sliding, and a much more comfortable ride than the OE runflats. A shame they're so good - no more excuses to stay home for snow days. While these are not winter-specific, they get the job done where I live in NJ. I'm sure you get a lot more snow than me though. Winter-specific I've seen many folks go with Nokian with nothing but praise.

This will not mess up your suspension, but should you damage your suspension some other way, the dealer may try to blame it on non-OE rubber. That said, tons of folks on here and many other boards have all left the runflats behind.

#4 ·
There is no problem with non-runflats. My 08 had non-runflats as OEM from the factory.
I ran Michelin X-Ice for two winters and was very impressed. Quiet, long wearing, good handling and a Consumers Report Best pick. Others like the Blizzaks for more spirited driving.

#7 ·
My car has Goodyear RSA's and the original owner never put tires on it. He thought the RSA's were runflats.
Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires are NOT run-flat as far as I know. They weren't on my car. I had the spare and jack as well.

Run-flats have a prominent circle with the letters RSC in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.