BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

To Lube or not to Lube Brake Guide Pin

67K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  MKJS 
#1 ·
I understand that BMW specifically said do NOT lube Brake Guide Pin (for ??? fear that the grease swells the rubber seal ---> sticky caliper, which I am not sure is true):

--------------
To set the record straight:
- I do NOT lube my E39's Brake Guide Pin, but.....
- I have applied a small amount of grease on guide pins on my other cars (Volvo, Honda, Toyota etc.) over the years without any problems.

I am just curious what our E39 grease monkeys have done over the years:
Do you your Lube Brake Guide Pin in your vehicles?

----

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think the reasoning behind the "no lube" edict for brake pins is that any oil or grease will tend to attract & hold dirt and other abrasives on the surface of the pin, causing excessive wear and possible binding.
After cleaning the pins, I spray them with Liquid Wrench Dry Lube (or Hoppe`s No. 9 Dri-Lube), where the (wet) carrier evaporates, leaving a dry film of Teflon behind....it does *not* attract dirt.

#4 ·
I think the reasoning behind the "no lube" edict for brake pins is that any oil or grease will tend to attract & hold dirt and other abrasives on the surface of the pin, causing excessive wear and possible binding....
Actually, when I apply lube in my non-BMW cars, I apply lube INSIDE the Plastic Housing where the 7-mm bolt resides. There is a cap to cover this bolt, so grease stays inside this housing. I just drew this strictly for illustrative purposes:

----
Per Larry Carley:
http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Article/38625/brake_lubricants.aspx

"In disc brakes, lubrication points include the caliper slides and bushings, self-adjuster mechanisms on rear disc brakes with locking calipers, and the parking brake cables and linkage. Brake grease can also be used to dampen vibrations between disc brake pads and caliper pistons. But, it should not be applied between the pad and any noise suppression shims that may be used. Use it on the back of a bare pad or between the pad shim and caliper...."

Attachments

#3 ·
I put on a small amount of synthetic caliper grease.
When I change my tires in the fall and spring, I check them to make sure they are not sticking. With the new salt brine they are using on the roads I would rather have a little grease on them to protect the metal. Time will tell if it matters...

#6 ·
I have used synthetic caliper grease on guide pins for numerous BMW's and never had a problem in 20+ years. It is interesting that they use the general term grease and not synthetic grease. I can understand why they want you to stay away from regular grease since the boots will deteriorate from the mineral base - swelling and eventual failure. However, you will not have this problem with a synthetic.

It's funny, I removed a brand new set of calipers (5 miles on them - dealership to home) from an E46 M3. Low and behold, it had gobs of grease straight from the factory for the caliper guide pin. It is a sliding part that needs lubrication in order to function properly. Otherwise you increase the chances of binding. Also, this is why it is important to make sure the guide pin caps are re-installed since they protect the inside of the mechanism. Can't tell you how many BMW's I have worked on that have them missing.

#10 ·
I am getting ready to tear down my drivers side right caliper and rebuild all of the rubber parts however this question too has come up for me. There seems to be some grease on the guide pin area now (before dismantle & rebuild) and I am having server inside brake wear (metal to metal inside and 45% outside and all around). I wonder if this is from the previous owner greasing the brake guide pin??

#12 ·
I dont lube mine, just because the TIS states not to and I havnt had a problem with it in 9 years. Ive taken them off a few times and I just wipe them clean. They always look shiny. I think if I were to lubricate them, I would use a dry slide type of lube just to avoid the dust sticking. You have to remember, the caliper only moves a half and inch over a few years. Not a lot of wear going on. Also, it would have to be really bunged up to jam. The forces squeezing and moving the caliper on the slide pins is tremendous.

#18 ·
I did a full brake job few months ago. I used a light coat of permatex high temp cermaic syn caliper grease. Thin coat on the bolts and a bit inside the boot. I used new boots, pins and caps. I think the reason they say not to use grease is b/c it will eventually become crud. But if you actually take care of your car use some syn caliper grease. Make sure the caps are on good.

#19 ·
#20 ·
Bit of a thread resurrection here but wanted to share my experience.
2003 540iA @ 164.6k currently. NTM @ 158k.
Had a right side shimmy while braking from 50-40. Ended up being a warped rotor and a stuck caliper guide pin. Probably one caused the other but replaced it all.
Debated on greasing the pins and decided it was better off having the grease and not needing it.
When I pulled the bushings and pins the lower was "fine" but slathered in silicone grease. The upper was frozen and slathered as well. Had to pull the bushing and pin out as a unit.
Near as I can tell from the service records, the front brakes were done under the PPO about 55k (110k) and just about a decade ago. Caps were good and tight with minimal dirt, just a sticky mess that felt more like the gunk holding fake credit cards to the applications than anything resembling grease. Probably the time got to it but opted on the fresh bushings and pins for NOT greasing them.

#24 ·
Just going to throw this out here for your consideration. Many say that brake rotors don't warp except under very extreme circumstances. Based on what you said (stuck caliper guide pin etc.) you more than likely had a significant brake pad deposit(s) on your rotor due to the fact that the caliper couldn't totally release. Draw your own conclusions as I offer this as an alternative reality to warped rotors. There is a lot of info, specifically from brake rotor manufacturers, about pad deposits creating brake shimmy and not rotor warpage.

#22 ·
Iam greasing once every 2 years or something like that with no issue
Cleaned grease then reapply new grease which I think it's like diffrenial grease which I've applied not normal grease ;)but no issue till now hope it's the right type since I've seen its same texture of old grease only my guessing

#27 ·
I recently installed the bronze bushings and new pins. I put a very thin layer of brake caliper grease on the pins and on the outside/inside of the bushing barrel. I will check them in the spring and see how they look. I just hope I can find my snap-ring pliers. I haven't seen them lately and that bugs me.

#31 ·
The grease sometimes dries up, leaving "a small ridge" on the pin, which can cause a sticky caliper (i.e. failure to return to its resting position).

This is a debate among car mfg's, so there is nothing right or wrong.

I usually put a very very thin smear of grease on the pin during install, zero issues so far.
And at the next service (new brake pads), I clean the pin with cloth and again a very thin smear of grease.

#32 · (Edited)
Yea I noticed some brake wobble during colder weather. Changed to snows once it got cold enough and pulled my pins to regrease. Grease was hard and wicked sticky. Almost like a glue. Some wd40 and a rag cleaned it up and regreased.

About a month ago I got new rims and will I decided to check the pins and bam, dry and sticky again.

Ive been reading online where others recommend antiseize lubricant. Has anyone tried this?

Also Should you grease the canals/guides on the caliper bracket where the brake pads move? I usually wire brush them and grease them. Though overtime the brake dust and heat cakes it.

#33 ·
pLEASE hear my words... Ive been using sport pins on all of my bmw's for about 15 years now.... *yes the same bushings fit pretty much every model

TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THIS,

they last longer if you keep them clean and dry

#35 ·
I recently changed my front pads and noticed my guide pins had some grease on them. The last set of akebono euro ceramics were installed by a BMW tech, so I just did the same and lightly greased them up again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.