BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

NGK sp plugs: 2-prong vs 4-prong?

31K views 57 replies 28 participants last post by  Sroor9001 
#1 ·
Another sp plug thread.

I searched re NGK and there was a debate between NGK 2-prong vs 4-prong.

NGK BKR6EK (2-prong) $4.50/each

NGK BKR6EQUP (4-prong) $6.95/each

It seems the concensus here is BKR6EQUP (4-prong) but anyone using 2-prong?

#2 ·
I do. Reason? I bought them @ the local autostore, came home and realized they were 2 prong instead of 4. Was lazy to go back so I installed em. Did they work? You bet!!! If I were to replace em again, would I skimp out and buy cheapy ones (that wasnt the reason the first time anyway)? Heck no!!! why not, if it doesn't make difference? just cuz the OEM was 4 prong QUPs rather than Ks

#3 ·
i had 2 prongs and now am using the oem 4 prong but so far no real difference noticed and the old plugs had 60k miles on them save some cash get the 2 prongs

#4 ·
What's $2.50 when you're talking about your car? Stick with the OEM.

#5 ·
Replaced my NGK 2 prong plugs with another set of 2 prong plugs, and boy is she not responsive in the low end.
I change my plugs every 20,000km

So i really have no need for 4 prong.

Saved myself enough for a pint of ale.

#6 ·
One more thing, i've looked around and i think OEM for M62 motors 96 thru 98 is 2 prong and 4 prong for M62TU motors 98 thru 03.

But i'm sure the either would work in either, wouldn't it!?

#7 ·
This spark plug business cracks me up...LOL:)

I used to have a 1991 Volvo 240 and it was single prong! And the thing ran into 300K miles. Plug changed every 50K.

Then mid 1990's came 2 prongs, platinum etc, then 4-prongs, then Iridium...blah blah blah and all the blah blah blah keeps going.

The bottom line for spark plugs is: No prong no spark...:)

So the more prongs does not mean better spark but rather when one prong is broken, you have another prong to carry on the job.

Bosch prongs can break (let's say after 50K) because the Bosch prongs are THINNER than the NGK prongs (learned this from my cousin who is a BMW master tech owning an indedent bmw shop...and told me to stick with NGK but he did not mention 2- vs 4-prong business).

So IMHO......NGK 2-prong is as good as 4-prong. And if you change it every 50K, it does not matter whether it is 2- or 4-prong.

$15 saving is good for a few pints of ale.

#9 ·
i put the 4 prong in my nissan 4cyl. didn't notice any thing went back to the one prong, gas mpg is the same. stcik with what ever came out of the car, unless you do some serious power mod.

#10 ·
All a gimmick.. Don't waste your cash. Seriously.

Did you know that there can ONLY be ONE ARC at a time when your spark plug fires????
Sorry, but you will NEVER EVER have two, three or four electrodes fire at once.
It's called " Physics". Take out a plug and lay it on your engine block and see for yourself. Just have a friend crank your engine and see. Go ahead.
Thats why a single electrode is the hottest most efficient source of spark.
The double sand quads only have an advantage if the plug becomes "fouled" on an electrode.
Then one of the others will be able to continue in a best case scenario.
My friend is an engineer for NGK. He's the one who told me all the skinny on this.
All of it is Marketing to sell more expensive plugs to people who are not informed.
Now you are informed.
Don't waste your cash.

#15 ·
Did you know that there can ONLY be ONE ARC at a time when your spark plug fires????
Sorry, but you will NEVER EVER have two, three or four electrodes fire at once.
It's called " Physics". Take out a plug and lay it on your engine block and see for yourself. Just have a friend crank your engine and see. Go ahead.
Thats why a single electrode is the hottest most efficient source of spark.
The double sand quads only have an advantage if the plug becomes "fouled" on an electrode.
Then one of the others will be able to continue in a best case scenario.
My friend is an engineer for NGK. He's the one who told me all the skinny on this.
All of it is Marketing to sell more expensive plugs to people who are not informed.
Now you are informed.
Don't waste your cash.
Good info. This is about multi prong vs single prong debate. Now did your friend at NGK say anything about Copper vs platinum vs iridium?

#11 ·
Keep in mind, the two-prong NGK plugs are NOT platinums. The four-prong plugs are.

Will it make a difference you can feel? Likely not, but with the platinum plugs you shouldn't have to change them as often -- in theory. That's their main benefit. The Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe used double plats for that very reason, because it was nigh impossible to get at the plugs to change them -- Ford recommended dropping the motor to change plugs.

They both are listed as OEM for the same engine, and both have the same heat range. I went for the BKR6EQUP just so I won't have to change 'em again as soon.

#14 · (Edited)
There is a guy in our local chapter that Axes his M3. He had multi prong plug that prongs broke and stuck a valve open and then burned it and beat the hell out of the head.

Also single prong plugs can and should be gapped. Its impossible on 4 prong and diff on 2.

Also multi prongs are more likely to block the fuel mixture from from ignition by the plug. The high velocity turbulence in the cyl before ignition blows the mixture around the prongs and not into and thru. Hot Rod magazine

#16 · (Edited)
I just installed the 2288's (NGK BKR6EK) in my car today.

The car feels 80% more responsive, and 20% faster.
Amazing.

ordered mine from www.rockauto.com

What was in there, was a similar 2-prong Bosch Super w/e... Me no likey bosch.

Haha, when I called my parts guy, he said the only equivalent he had was Champion.. you know, for a second there, I was tempted to try Champion.. wonder if they've gotten any better.

#18 ·
Champion, Bosch, NGK all make good quality products. To say one makes inferior products is just not correct.

These are major corporations that have been around for decades all making very similiar, high quality products.

An NGK may work better in an E36 or a Bosch better in an E60 due to the unique combustion chamber or electrical system in the car and so on. The factory recommended supplier in part depends on who was the low bidder that year.

Incidentally, Bosch makes the super, state of the art, peizeo electric, fuel injection systems and components that both Peugot and Audi run in their ALMS series deisel racers.

#19 ·
I think the best advice is to use what is recommended in the owner's manual. In my case (2001 540) it says to use the four prong plugs, either the Bosch or the NGK. Based on a few incidents reported of the prongs breaking off on the Bosch, I will probably go with the NGK.

#24 ·
I agree that single electrode plugs are best. Why? Each time the spark fires it takes the path of least resestence and self cleans where it jumps to. So realistically you are only using one. That combined with the ability to gap my plugs are reason enough to stick with single electrode plugs. I mean top fuel dragsters use one. I've always used one and never had a problem but to each his own. Im gonna start selling 6 electrode plugs cause there's always people who think more is better.

#25 ·
Gillette has had the five blade razor for a few years now....does anyone not beleive they will eventually come out with a six blade or seven blade? ;)

I will continue to use the factory recommended NGK four prong plugs, but it has been proven time and again here that people can safely use single, or dual prong plugs with no problems.

#27 · (Edited)
For the shaving reference you clearly don't visit the badger and blade forums. If you know anything about shaving you would not be using a cheap mach 12 or whatever. I use a adjustable merkur and would never go back. But shaving has nothing to do with the physics and thermodynamic processes that take place in the good old otto cycle. To each his own get the 6 prongs.

#29 ·
One prong makes a good spark. more prongs can interfer with the fuel/air mixture getting to the spark.

Best is what is OEM recommended unless your engine heads are internally modified and/or you are running boost.

#30 ·
Pay attention to this! Do not play around with substituting 1 or 2 pronged for 4 pronged! I got a full service from a non BMW garage 8 months ago. After I got the car back the motor had these flat spots and I had to be very sensitive on the gas. Soon after, I lost one cylinder and took it back to the garage. The guy told me it was the ignition coils and I replaced all 4 for 500 bucks.
The other day, after months of frustration and temporarily losing a cylinder again, I took the car to the BMW service place. They told me that there were 1 pronged plugs installed rather than the 4 pronged. 270 bucks later the car runs SOOO sweetly that I can't even describe it to you. Do not mess around with components on these cars. They are precision instruments. It might seem like your car is running fine, depending on the model but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some effect on gas consumption.

#31 ·
The guy told me it was the ignition coils and I replaced all 4 for 500 bucks.
Time and time again we hear people replace all (or most) of the coils ... and, well, I've NEVER seen anyone recommend replacing coils willy nilly on this forum.

They told me that there were 1 pronged plugs installed rather than the 4 pronged. 270 bucks later the car runs SOOO sweetly
I commend you on the proper use of the adverb 'sweetly' (don't think we don't notice the others who don't ... we just let it slide) ... :)

As for plug prongs, I don't have the qualifications to say what I'm going to say next ... but ... my humble opinion is 1 prong or fifteen prongs ... it's the same thing (almost) for the purpose of igniting the gas.

Sure, the more prongs the longer the plugs may last (since the spark only jumps from one at a time, 4 prongs should, all else being equal, last four times as long ... at least from the perspective of electrical pitting of the sharp edges (since the spark only jumps where the electric lines of force are greatest ... which is at sharp edges).

Anyway, for the 'selection' of spark plugs, this is one item I leave up to the BMW engineers ...

- BMW spark plug application charts (1) (2) & the best plug to use (1) (2) & a deciphering key (1) & keys to reading plugs (1) & the truth about torque & anti-seize (1) & the truth about gap (1) (2) & DIYs for replacing spark plugs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.