BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

DISA O Ring help

8K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  lyleswk 
#1 ·
I tracked down one of the more severe leaks to the Disa o ring. Disa itself tests fine.

I searched and found a Fel-Pro PN 35489 should be an exact fit.

I removed the old gasket and attempted to install the O ring, but it seems too big and won't all go into the groove. Its almost like 80% of if fits nice and snug but the rest (too much material or it seems stretched) to go flush all the way around.

Any trick to installing the gasket?

#2 · (Edited)
I tracked down one of the more severe leaks to the Disa o ring. Disa itself tests fine.

I searched and found a Fel-Pro PN 35489 should be an exact fit.

I removed the old gasket and attempted to install the O ring, but it seems too big and won't all go into the groove. Its almost like 80% of if fits nice and snug but the rest (too much material or it seems stretched) to go flush all the way around.

Any trick to installing the gasket?
I'm thinking the fel-pro may only work on the 330, which has a larger DISA. You *might* be able to cut out the extra 20% or so and get it to fit with a little rtv at the cut. Ghetto, but better than rtv on the whole thing.
EDIT: It's the same size for 325 or 330, apparently.

Also, check out germanautosolutions.com. they sell rebuild kits and should have a gasket.

#5 · (Edited)
#7 · (Edited)
More than you can possibly imagine has been written about the M54 DISA o-ring ... over here ...
- Where to get just the DISA valve o-ring (1)

See also:
- Where to get a proper DISA valve repair kit (1) & how some jury-rig 'repair' a rattling DISA unit (1) (2) (3) & how the DISA valve operates (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to test DISA operation (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) & a simple DIY to install an M54 DISA (1) & a nice DISA autopsy (1) (2) & a great DISA group buy (1) & how the disa valve o-ring fails (1) (2) & how it can reputedly cause all sorts of cold-engine rough idle problems (1) (2) & where to get just the DISA valve o-ring (1) & why you want to check the DISA at 100K miles or whenever the airbox is removed (1) (2) & why the DIfferenzierte SAuganlage ("Differential Air Intake") valve flap breaks (1), sometimes with parts sucked into the intake manifold (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & a well documented example of how a broken DISA flap can ruin your engine (1) & yet another seemingly complex set of misfire codes reputedly traced to a broken DISA valve (1)

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.