BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

<<<Bimmerfest's E46 Wiki>>> Read this before posting questions!

286K views 113 replies 66 participants last post by  Fast Bob 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is the Wiki for the E46:

What is a Wiki?

A "wiki" is a collective of knowledge that is editable by anyone. Please do not take this lightly: You all have the power to edit information that is there. Simply login with your bimmerfest login/password and hit the edit button. Please only add relevant information, make sure it is well organized, and make sure it's correct (alternatively, make corrections to incorrect data).

I plan on treating this E46 Wiki as a dynamic FAQ. I'd like it to become the #1 E46 resource on the 'net, replacing all 'sticky' threads, as well as adding all information that people typically ask (upgrades, maintenance, etc).

I'll slowly be moving the 'sticky' threads into the Wiki, so if you see a sticky disappear, that's where it went!

I'll try to develop a good structure/table of contents/formatting template there in the next few days that will make it easier for individuals to add content themselves.

Enjoy!
-Kris

See less See more
#78 ·
I have a 325i the ac quits blowing ice cold then 10 mins later it blows ice cold . Help someone please. !!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Start your own thread, please. We'll help you there. :thumbup:

#80 ·
2002 745i had a small power steering fluid leak and I topped off fluid level and next day a large amount of fluid almost all fluid in the system was on driveway, but could not see where the leak was coming from. Removed the skid panels under rack and pinion to get a better view and all hoses were dry.
Where could a large amount of fluid have come from?

#84 ·
Thank you a million times over to KrisL and all the others that have contributed to this wiki! I'm buying an e46 to replace my (remarkably boring) infiniti, and this has been a singularly helpful source. Hands-down the best wiki I've ever encountered, and a testiment to tbd the power of a well intentioned, well moderated community! Thank you to the mods as well!

Has there been discussion around including a "how to inspect a used e46" sub-section under heading 3.1 (Buying an e46)? The common failures section is tremendous for general guidance (what should I look out for), though it would be wonderful to have the specifics of evaluating used e46s (eg. visual cues and observeable manifestations of the general problems), and info on purchasing a car from a distance alongside the rest of the wiki info. There are a number of good posts covering this (though perhaps they'd require summarizing), it just takes some time to find them (especially as a newbie).

Perhaps even a general (and minimally biased) overview of the biggest e46 online communities could be helpful too, though I realize that's likely begging for some sort of flame war.

Thanks again, looking forward to contributing!

#85 ·
Thank you a million times over to KrisL and all the others that have contributed to this wiki! I'm buying an e46 to replace my (remarkably boring) infiniti, and this has been a singularly helpful source. Hands-down the best wiki I've ever encountered, and a testiment to tbd the power of a well intentioned, well moderated community! Thank you to the mods as well!

Has there been discussion around including a "how to inspect a used e46" sub-section under heading 3.1 (Buying an e46)? The common failures section is tremendous for general guidance (what should I look out for), though it would be wonderful to have the specifics of evaluating used e46s (eg. visual cues and observeable manifestations of the general problems), and info on purchasing a car from a distance alongside the rest of the wiki info. There are a number of good posts covering this (though perhaps they'd require summarizing), it just takes some time to find them (especially as a newbie).

Perhaps even a general (and minimally biased) overview of the biggest e46 online communities could be helpful too, though I realize that's likely begging for some sort of flame war.

Thanks again, looking forward to contributing!
The reason we stress the importance of trying to obtain the service records for any potential purchase is because there is really no way to tell at a casual glance what is or what may go wrong...even people who are experienced with BMWs can overlook certain things.

Study the Wiki, and read the archived threads here, and you will expand your knowledge.

#86 ·
Agree, service records are very important, and even then, it's impossible to know the future (or at least ive yet to meet, see or hear of someone who could). However, it is possible to know what has already gone wrong on a car through observation.

For instance: http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1007722

Is something like this (or perhaps a more succinct version) already in the wiki? Or in the thread? Apologies if i missed it, or if my previous post was unclear.

#88 ·
It`s right smack in the middle of the Sticky Threads....there`s only NINE of `em, take another look !

#92 ·
I have a 1999 323 I. How many speed sensors and break sensors do I have and where are they located
Look, you're supposed to use this thread to access the wiki where the answers are, not ask questions. :thumbdwn: If you HAD read/searched the wiki, you would know there are two brake pad sensors. The wiki does mention that they're front left and right rear, just not in the obvious place.

Logic will also tell you that, since you have 4 wheels, you have 4 speed sensors. The wiki mentions the location; in that same paragraph is the location of not only the speed sensors (inboard of the wheels/brakes), but the location of the brake pad sensors.

Please RTFM and wiki next time you have a question. One final thought: you need to be able to spell, or select the correct word when your device prompts you for spelling to be able to search. The correct spelling is "brake". :thumbup:

#96 ·
whats up my bimmer heads it's me chillwill from tampa bimmer crew .just wanted to say what's up and dose any one know we're i can get a dl of the bently repair book on the e46 2005. i can't seem to find it ...rats:thumbup:
You`re posting in the wrong place....try starting a new thread on the main Forum page....

#98 ·
Read the Post (#96) immediately above yours.

But, the 2006 is an E90, not an E46, so the floorpan is different....the seats most likely will not fit.

#104 ·
Step 1 - scan for codes
Step 2 - read the Wiki
Step 3 - start a new thread

Without codes...MAF, CPS, coils, plugs, vacuum leak in a hundred places, fuel pump, fuel filter, etc. = $$$.

Welcome to the 'fest!

Sent from the future using the app downloaded to my neural implant.

#106 ·
It`s the whole Forum....new Bimmerfest owners are in the process of switching over to new servers, and system continuity is suffering. Hang in there....

#112 ·
The Bentley E46 Manual covers all models (AFAIK), and should take care of what you need. Sometines you can get a deal on a used one from eBay, so look around ! :thumbup:

#114 ·
I dont see any information about the M56 engines for my 04 325I. I really would appreciate some help in locating some.
Thanks.:)
The MAIN reason for this is because folks who know better avoid the SULEV like the plague. There`s plenty of info on GOOGLE, look there, or use the Bimmerfest SEARCH function, there`s been a lot of discussion about it here over the years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.