BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Time to Download Phonebook

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SLM 
#1 ·
How long does it take for your iDrive to download your phonebook? I have a RAZR V3c with T-Mobile. It used to take maybe 20 seconds, but today it took 15 minutes at one point, and then only after someone first called me. I ran an errand and parked the car. When I got back in, the next time it took 10 minutes to download the phonebook, and then only after I tried to call up a name with the voice command function, even though the iDrive screen was showing that the phonebook had not downloaded. When I spoke the name, poof, there was the phonebook, loaded and ready to go. I did have to say the name again, though, before I could place my call.

The last time my iDrive froze, and required re-booting (10 days ago, and I did the re-boot myself since my dealer claims it doesn't know how to do it), the phonebook refused to download - until I brought it in to the dealer, where of course it performed flawlessly.

As time goes by I am beginning to believe that all my iDrive problems result from its interactions with Bluetooth, something Chuck92103 proposed perhaps 6 weeks ago. I also know that others, more knowledgeable than me on computers (that would be essentially everybody, though), said it wasn't possible because of where the Bluetooth function was maintained within iDrive.

But, many of my iDrive glitches still have revolved around the phone (or, in one case, BMW Assist). The iDrive fails to turn off after the ignition is turned off. The iDrive freezes after the phonebook fails to download, and there is a stupid clock pictograph on an empty, useless, frozen phonebook screen. The phone refuses to hang up and the iDrive freezes, requiring both manually turning off the hand phone and re-booting iDrive. You get the idea.

Also, in the past the longer it took to get to the stupid "accept" screen, the more likely it was a harbinger that the iDrive was about to give up. The normal time is 28 seconds. Get past 35 and you should head for the BMW dealer. When you approach 60 seconds, the next thing that is going to happen is that you are going to see the BMW initials on the iDrive screen and nothing else, and that will happen soon.

I am tempted to take my ancient (2002) Motorola v60 phone from the CL55 and use it for a few days to see if my iDrive works flawlessly. I suspect it will, as the people on this Board who haven't paired BT phones have reported fewer iDrive issues. Funny thing is, the owner's manual says not to use a phone unless it is connected to the iDrive, because that could interfere with the electronics.

Anyway, now that it is taking my phonebook an inordiante amount of time to download and display on the iDrive screen reserved for it, I'm wondering what the download times are for others, and whether longer download times have been the harbinger of other iDrive issues.

See less See more
#4 ·
H e l p !

Weird. On my drive into work this A.M., phone refused to sync with iDrive though the Bluetooth in each was on. I made calls from the phone itself but had to hold it up to my ear. Couldn't get it to interact at all with the iDrive. And my redial, last 8 numbers (or whatever it's called), and received numbers were frozen from the night before when I cycled over to those screens. Then I got in this afternoon to drive home and the phone worked perfectly.

I am beginning to think (hope, pray) that it is the phone, not the iDrive. I am going to pick up something else tomorrow or Thursday and slip the SIM card in it. Which of the approved Motorola phones with T-Mobile service works for you guys, other than the RAZR?

(Oh, I forgot: My BMW Assist didn't work this A.M. either and the radio was scratchy, so I thought it might be the antenna, but :dunno: )

#7 ·
I have sync'd a Treo 650, a Motorola E815, and a Motorola RAZR (all Verizon) with my '06 650i... all without issue. I've never had an issue with the phonebooks transferring on any of the phones. I currently have the RAZR sync'd as my primary phone, with the Treo sync'd as a secondary line. My wife now uses the E815 and I no longer have it paired with the car.

#8 ·
I wonder if your issue is going the same way mine did. My phone sync'd no problem and worked fine for weeks. Then one day I lost the phone book and couldn't get it back. I removed the phone and tried to reconnect and now I can't conenct at all. I loved the hands free aspect, especially considering I have a standard transmission. I figure next time I'm at the dealer I'll leave it with them to sort it all out.

SLM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.