BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

128 ragtop advice-manual seats?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  iversonm 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a 128 convertible for my next car.

I'm certainly not new to BMW, as this will be number six. However, it will be my first two door car in about two decades.

My question is this: are the back seats, vestigial as they are, easier to enter and exit with manual seats over the electric ones?

It seems that the manual models only need to have one lever pulled to slide the seat forward for access, and will then return to the previous position. However, the power seat requires the lever pull to release the backrest, and the switch must be held to slide the seat forward and back. (Please let me know if my understanding is incorrect.)

The former seems easier than the latter. I haven't had manual seats since my e46 325, but I seem to recall the seats being plenty adjustable.

The best feature the power seats bring is memory. Since I'm the only one that will drive a manual transmission in my house, I can't see needing that very often.

Also, the extra $1000 would be better used to pay for the sport package in my book.

Opinions are appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't really compare because I haven't used a 128i with power seats but my convertible has the sports package and manual seats. They are, as you note, very adjustable. If you remember to pull the latch at the top of the seat and use it to slide the seat forward you may be able to do this with the one operation. It seems like we often end up using the lever for sliding the seat, however. But when you do it right, the seat goes back to the same position. It is not hard. But I do not use the rear seat much. It is not uncomfortable as long as the front seat passenger gives you some leg room. My 6'4" son sits in front of my 5'9" daughter sometimes. But he is further forward than he prefers. She complains about the wind if the top is down. It is a viable option but we often just take the SUV when there is more than 2 of us. For 2, the bimmer is definitely preferred.

I agree about the memory comment but I also am the only driver of my bimmer so it was not a factor. In 2009 when I bought mine I think the power seat offered a lumbar support but I haven't needed it. The sport seats are very comfortable. Even with the manual seats, the bolsters adjust electrically.

Jim

#4 ·
Since I'm the only one that will drive a manual transmission in my house, I can't see needing that very often.

Also, the extra $1000 would be better used to pay for the sport package in my book.

Opinions are appreciated.
Get the manual seats and use the money for something else.

#5 ·
For a contrary view, after having back issues, I find the memory seats are useful for setting up two seating positions - one for "normal" driving", and one for highway cruising where close proximity to the clutch is not as necessary.

Also, JimD - the lumbar support is only available with the Premium Package. Ordering the stand alone power seats option unfortunately does not include lumbar.

Tom

#6 ·
For a contrary view, after having back issues, I find the memory seats are useful for setting up two seating positions - one for "normal" driving", and one for highway cruising where close proximity to the clutch is not as necessary.
I use the two settings for the different shoes I wear. :D I swear thicker soled shoes make things weird for me sometimes.

One thing I can imagine being nicer with the manual seats is how quickly you can open up whatever space you need. If the 1er is anything like my 3er, you gotta sit there and wait a while when holding down the button. I should buy a yo-yo.

#7 ·
Thanks to everyone for your input.

I went to the dealer today, and tried things out for myself. It's definitely more convenient to use the manual seats to access the back, IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.