BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My clutch is slipping need help

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  m3racer08 
#1 ·
Hey my clutch is starting to slip in my 2006 650i 6speed manual. Im located in the NY area and want to know where is the best place to get a new clutch installed.

A slipping clutch smells awful :tsk:.

Please any help and imput. YORGI please feel free to chime in:), you seem to have all the answers here.

#2 ·
....YORGI please feel free to chime in:), you seem to have all the answers here.
LOL...I don't know that much.

The one thing I know is that I would not go to the dealer for a new clutch. See if you can find a recommended BMW indie shop in your area and go there.

I found an aftermarket source which sells a 650i clutch kit for $390. Tischer is asking either $340 or $1,492. I see two listings for what seems like the same thing at Tischer. Part# 21207573789 seems like it's a clutch kit for $340, I would call and ask what it includes.

A standard clutch job gives you new: pressure plate, clutch disc and throw-out bearing. If it were me, I would also change the following while you are in there (list from Pelican Parts "super clutch kit"):
  • New bolts for flywheel and clutch pressure plate
  • New crankshaft rear seal (aka flywheel seal)
  • New transmission Input Shaft seal
  • New shifter selector rod seal
  • New exhaust flange gaskets/seals
  • New exhaust flanges
  • New flex disc nuts (where applicable)
  • New pilot bearing
  • New release bearing spring clip
  • New clutch pivot pin
  • New slave cylinder

It's an additional ~ $200 for all those extra parts, but the labor will not cost you any more than the standard clutch job labor. If you go for a "standard" 3 part clutch job and any of the "extra" seals fail down the road, you will be paying a lot more than $200 in labor to replace the part.

#3 ·
Yeah the dealer is a real class act telling me $3900 for the parts and labor. I contacted tischer and the kit i need for the 650i is $1,495 which consists of the complete clutch and fly wheel assembly because its a duel-mass fly wheels which has the be changed when the clutch is changed. I also found a local shop that only do BMW work and they said $2,200 for the clutch kit and labor which is alot better than the dealer but still really hefty and at such a bad time of the year. Why is it at this time of the year things always go wrong and unexpected expenses always occur.

Im going to look into all those other parts you said to change and just do everything once.

Thanks a million and anyone else with input please share for me and anyone who might have the same issues in the future.

#4 ·
Upgrade time! Get a light weight flywheel and racing clutch! :thumbup:

#8 ·
Yeah I thought about an upgrade like this but there isn't anything available or reccomended for this car except stock oem clutch and flywheel set up.
thought about it but instead yelled out BALLINNN while i did a burn out leaving lolllll :p
Lmao "balling" I can't ball over here but man I miss doing a burn out. If I try burning out the rpm's fly up and no wheel spin just stinking clutch smell lol.

#6 ·
Holy hell! I hope you drove right over to the police station after to file a rape report.

Ey yai yai!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.