BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

N20 tuning, new record

13K views 39 replies 10 participants last post by  dtc100 
#1 ·
Per N54tech, this was announced today!

They are beta testing stage 2 for the N20 right now.

With no hardware modifications, just the tune running on E85 they cracked 300whp and 350lbs of torque

I am anxious to see the LOWER numbers coming soon on 93 octane as E85 is not around here much.

They also noted that the stock airbox is more than sufficient and intake manufacturers claims are likely fudged.

It will be interesting to see where this goes with meth, downpipes, full exhausts, intercoolers etc.

See less See more
#3 ·
No, E85 is a much more energy rich fuel source which turbo engines seem to love.

I am hoping for 27o-275whp on 93 with stage 2, then 300whp with a couple of bolt ons.

#6 ·
e85 is not more energy-rich than 93 octane. In fact if you were to run the two side-by-side in naturally aspirated motors operating with similar parameters, the e85 setup would require about 30% more fuel, and would produce lower power. (Yes, tuning the e85 operating parameters separately would yield a bit more power than the 93 octane setup, but still with substantially more fuel.)

The benefit to e85 comes in the fact that it is very resistant to knock (FreddyG's comment is correct, in that it has an aparrant octane rating around 100); when used in a turbocharged (or supercharged) application, this allows you to run more boost and timing, which allows you to put more fuel into the cylinder, which results in greater torque and power.

#8 ·
Sorry, you gave the more eloquent answer. I used energy rich just to explain more power, but yes, as you noted it comes at the expense of consumption.

My friend had an e85 tuned red turbo Evo 8. It was downright scary, ten second stock appearing street car. But he had local e85.

#16 ·
Considering the n20 dynos as much if not more stock than the ATS, if that is a bone stock hardware figure to the wheels, it sounds almost too good to be true...28whp more, but 20ft lbs less.

#22 ·
....and there goes the 335i for good.

BJ
Lol, yes and noo.

Same tunes are out for the 335 which can net 360whp and 400+tq.

The 335 can always do more than the 328 mod for mod due to the larger displacement.

But it's clear, if BMW wanted to, they could offer a 328 with 335 power stock and warrantied.

If BMW takes the leash off the 335, then they can let the 328 open up to it's capabilities.

#24 · (Edited)
One thing I wish BMW do is lowering the price of their performance suspension cost of $6,500. It lowers the car by 20mm, 10mm more than sport and M sport suspensions.

To put it in perspective, Porsche offers similar suspension upgrades on the 911, the first tier lowers the body by 10mm at a little over $2k, the second tier lowers the body by 20mm for a little under $3k. Not only that, the lowered suspensions also come with PASM included, similar to (but more advanced than) the BMW DHP. BMW charges $1k for DHP separately unless you order a base model with DHP only, which gets 10mm lowered body also.

#26 ·
I am unsure of where you are getting your pricing from. We now have three members who just got the performance suspension installed.

It's about $2k parts and labor. Do not forget the 20% CCA discount or when my dealer offers at cost pricing of 30-49% off.

#36 ·
GM, for which I give them credit, tunes their caddy's to run safely on 87 so that they can advertise it can take 87 though best performance comes with 93. That is the "smart octane" system - knock sensors alone simply react to knock events. GM's system, from what I understand (and this is not from first hand knowledge), adjusts to the octane prior to knock events occuring. Don't know how.

On the tune: I'm not impressed yet. e85 is freaking ambrosia and can easily result in an extra 50 hp/tq compared to 93 octane at these levels. It's SOOO knock resistant.

Show me the regular gas tunes today :) Really good info on the intakes.

My recent test drive of a 6-speed manual f30 328i showed me it doesn't have enough power for me in everyday driving. Very excited to see where it goes with development.

#37 ·
The at stage 1 did 263whp/291tq on pump, the 93 dyno runs are coming in the next week BMS said. 275whp/300tq is a good estimate. Considering that is equal to an 335 and weights 150lbs less, it's decent.

I plan in cracking 300/300 and calling it a day.

GM, for which I give them credit, tunes their caddy's to run safely on 87 so that they can advertise it can take 87 though best performance comes with 93. That is the "smart octane" system - knock sensors alone simply react to knock events. GM's system, from what I understand (and this is not from first hand knowledge), adjusts to the octane prior to knock events occuring. Don't know how.

On the tune: I'm not impressed yet. e85 is freaking ambrosia and can easily result in an extra 50 hp/tq compared to 93 octane at these levels. It's SOOO knock resistant.

Show me the regular gas tunes today :) Really good info on the intakes.

My recent test drive of a 6-speed manual f30 328i showed me it doesn't have enough power for me in everyday driving. Very excited to see where it goes with development.

#38 ·
Yeah, I'm looking for 300whp/300+wtq with a tune and maybe a downpipe or similar bolt-ons with solid AFRs, emissions, etc.

If it can pull that at 3400-3500 pounds, then the new m3 would have to offer serious reason to pay an extra $18-24k for an everyday sports car/track toy.

#39 ·
I am confident I will nab mid 4's and high 12's at 106+ when it's all said and done. E46 M3 numbers out of a 2.0.

The new M3 will replace it lol. Because it will likely be a beast with a couple of bolt ons and approach 500whp for a grand or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.