BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

C7 Audi S6 tested and it's ridiculously fast

20K views 99 replies 32 participants last post by  WilliCO 
#1 · (Edited)
Competition for the 550i (not M5). Seems to putting down near M5 numbers at a 550i-like pricepoint

Compared to the regular A6 3.0T, it gets an upgraded interior with better seats, S-Line exterior trim, torque-vectoring rear diff, crown-gear diff, V8TT, and dual-clutch auto

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-audi-s6-test-review

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, 4-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan

ESTIMATED BASE PRICE: $71,000

ENGINE TYPE: twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection

Displacement: 240 cu in, 3933 cc
Power: 420 hp @ 6400 rpm
Torque: 406 lb-ft @ 1400 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 7-speed dual-clutch automatic with manual shifting mode

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 114.6 in
Length: 194.1 in
Width: 73.8 in Height: 56.7 in
Curb weight: 4255 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 3.7 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.2 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 16.1 sec
Rolling start, 5***8211;60 mph: 4.9 sec
Top gear, 30***8211;50 mph: 2.1 sec
Top gear, 50***8211;70 mph: 2.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.1 sec @ 115 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 155 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 157 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.87 g

FUEL ECONOMY (C/D EST):
EPA city/highway: 17/26 mpg
C/D observed: 14 mpg

TEST NOTES: Launch control is activated in D sport with ESC off. Just stomp the gas with the brake and it zings to 5000 rpm, lift and it moves out.
To put it into perspective, Motor Trend timed the F10 M5 at 3.7s 0-60 (http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1203_2013_bmw_m5_test/viewall.html)

C7 RS6/RS7 is going to be a beast

See less See more
#2 ·
Competition for the 550i (not M5). Seems to putting down near M5 numbers at a 550i-like pricepoint

Compared to the regular A6 3.0T, it gets an upgraded interior with better seats, S-Line exterior trim, torque-vectoring rear diff, crown-gear diff, V8TT, and dual-clutch auto

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-audi-s6-test-review

To put it into perspective, Motor Trend timed the F10 M5 at 3.7s 0-60 (http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1203_2013_bmw_m5_test/viewall.html)

C7 RS6/RS7 is going to be a beast

Just not much to look at in my opinion.

#3 ·
Impressive acceleration. But the roadholding figure is very poor.

#5 ·
Agreed.

#7 ·
Those numbers are pretty amazing. It will be interesting to see what it costs with "normal" options. I'm guessing that most of them will be sitting on lots at $80,000 or so. The other problem I would have is that Audi has very poor leases, so for those of us who lease it is likely to be way out of our reach.

#8 ·
Completely agree. Audi is really hard to deal with. I would be driving one now if the lease deals were better or they would give deeper discounts. Audi cars are VERY much in demand and supply is limited so they can hold tight. There are a million BMW's and MB's on the road. I think BMW and MB sell 5 times as many cars as Audi in the US.

I like Audi's current design through almost every model except the A7.

#10 ·
Good catch. Has to be a typo although I am not an expert on this. My first thought was where the tranny is at in terms of gear at 5MPH may hurt the performance as it has to downshift first when you bang it and maybe this hurts the time?

#13 ·
These numbers just don't seem compatible. I suspect the HP number is waaay off. Wallace Racing esitmates 530HP. Wallace may not be 100% accurate, but it's a data point.

Power: 420 hp @ 6400 rpm
Curb weight: 4255 lb
Zero to 60 mph: 3.7 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.1 sec @ 115 mph
C/D observed: 14 mpg

#17 ·
I agree. I cannot see how a car with 420 hp with its weight can do a 3.7 second run to 60

#18 ·
Yes these test results are more in line with 550 level performance which makes sense given its 420 hp

#16 ·
How would it compare to the current gen M3 sedan? Seems somewhat similar in price/size/purpose.

Not sure I like the smaller headlights, but the rest is nice, especially in red. What a great time to be a car guy! :)

#24 ·
unless otherwise proven to me, i think it nearly impossible for a car to go 0-60 in 3.7 with those specs.

#25 ·
Wow, this thread oozes of sore loser. I would think this car will smack the 550 in the face hard performance wise given that Audi need to put significant distance between it and the 3.0T. Does that make me want one? No, since handling seem to possibly be as bad or worse than the F10 in terms of feel and cornering grip plus it's very boring looking. As usual we need to drive the car to know for sure but I'm not hopeful given the skidpad number that is very close to the F10.

#26 ·
i just don't believe the number, also i would not drive this car because it's ugly and looks cheap.

is that being sore?

#27 ·
Launch control along with AWD, it may be possible to get those numbers. But comparing it to the M5? c'mon now, look at the 5-60 numbers. It may be faster than the 550I, so are many other cars, who cares. I bought the 550i because of the overall package. I find the 550I with m-sport package very sexy.

#30 ·
The S6 is a nice looking car. Personally, I think it more of a looker than the F10. If the F10 has the M-sport package, then I would say its about a tie. Accelaration wise, the 550i is about the same as S6, but the BMW handles better. I like the S6's interior better than 550i, so basically, its a toss up. I think the price is pretty similar too if you option a 550i up to the option level of the S6.

#31 ·
The S6 is a nice looking car. Personally, I think it more of a looker than the F10. If the F10 has the M-sport package, then I would say its about a tie. Accelaration wise, the 550i is about the same as S6, but the BMW handles better. I like the S6's interior better than 550i, so basically, its a toss up. I think the price is pretty similar too if you option a 550i up to the option level of the S6.
Nope... If anything the F10 is one of the worst handlers in this class. Audi and Lexus are better

#33 · (Edited)
The M3 has been measured sub 4s 0-60 with similar hp. The S6 weighs a bit more but has awd and much more torque. I doubt the 3.7s is an easily obtainable number that can be put down consistently but it doesn't seem impossible that it's a best of many figure. It could of course also be fudged or a typo, we'll know better as more tests are released.

#40 ·
Decaf, I think dunderhi's car is almost 500 lbs heavier and is lacking launch control. Those are big disadvantages. Than add Audi's quattro that I think could be superior in this type of launches. Also take a look at the GT-R's weight and power and the 2.9s it achieves with launch control. I'm not saying that the 3.7s is clean just that it's not for sure it's wrong.

#41 · (Edited)
That 0-60 is definitely a product of the launch control....works well on cars with AWD and forced induction. It's the same thing that happened when the TTRS was tested using the Euro-spec launch control and DSG that isn't available in the US...the 0-60 was shockingly low but the car wasn't any faster than its competitors on the track or with rolling runs.

For this S6, the 5-60 and 60-100 times of 4.9 and 5.5 seconds shows us exactly where its real-world performance will be: slightly faster than a stock 550i, as expected given the power and weight.

#46 ·
While the number is only estimated at $71,000, I feel like the MSRP of the C6 S6 was closer to the $75-80k mark? Am I imagining things?

#55 ·
Holy crap the M5 ate up the Panny Turbo S.

#58 ·
auto union may be a troll..

just sayin
He's not a troll. He just has an unhealthy fantasy about VWs.

On any topic other than VWs, Autounion is a great forum member.

Anyway, this S6 seems like one of the better VWs. A great accomplishment for them. But certainly no M5, and I wouldn't choose it over a 550i either.

#71 · (Edited)
There's no denying that Audi has given the S6 a formidable arsenal of dragstrip weaponary. A powerful highly tunable FI engine, awd and a DCT with launch control. BMW do currently not offer that combination in any sedan. I can see this becoming a favourite platform for dragstrip enthusiasts like dunderhi. Does it matter much to the rest of us, no probably not at all. Personally I couldn't care less if my car runs from 0-60 in 3.5s or 4.5s but I think it's rather petty to just dismiss the numbers as faulty and not give Audi some kudos for pushing the performance envelope. This will benefit all of you who are enarmoured with straight line performance. With the N63 BMW has the platform to respond if they choose. Depending how this plays out they could even feel the need to offer a DCT in a M performance version ( different from an M version. It's getting confusing with all the M types ) of the F10. And if they do that they could even offer a more performace oriented suspension. I love it when new cars of any make pushes the envelope and if they are better than my car even better, gives me a chance to trade up when it's time instead of risking to be dissapointed.

However, I'm not feeling the S6 at this moment, I don't like the styling and I'm highly skeptical about the athleticism of the chassi/suspension and precision and feedback in the steering after having driven the new A6 and S4.

#72 ·
I agree with you completely here. The current A6 with the 310 hp engine has run a 4.7 second 0-60 in tests I have read. I have no reason to doubt that with over 100 more hp that is is going to be very impressive if acceleration is important. I'm not going to lie, I love speed. But I have to love the overall car as well.

#76 ·
I haven't visited this forum for a while so it was appalling to read some of the comments on this thread. People accuse the OP of being a troll because he posted something they don't like :tsk:

0-60 in 3.7s is definitely possible for a 420HP AWD car with launch control. It is very well-documented that the 4000 lbs Nissan GT-R with 485HP runs 0-60 in 3 seconds, as fast as 638HP Corvette ZR1. That's the beauty of all wheel drive.

(The Vette does have faster 1/4 mile time and trap speed. This is where AWD loses its advantage).

Remember guys, competition is good for consumers. Hopefully, this will force BMW to up the ante with the next refresh.

#88 · (Edited)
Remember guys, competition is good for consumers. Hopefully, this will force BMW to up the ante with the next refresh.
Have they ever upgraded power for a refresh? I could see them offering a power kit, but just free HP because Audi eventually passed them :dunno:.

People here love to turn a blind eye to the competition, no matter how good it is. Audi (and Lexus) finally have a solid contender in this segment and all the BMW fanboys are doing is trashing them, when they know full well, that the 5 series isn't the benchmark it used to be. If anything, it went from being the best to the back of the pack with the E Class, in terms of driving pleasure.
I'd have been far more impressed if this car was offered side-by-side the 550 launch, but it wasn't. This came after Audi saw the competition, and might have bested it (until we see officially), with launch control. It's a step forward as with most cars that come years after another, and maybe it's a gotcha! moment for Audi, but I'll never view it as such.

#77 ·
The thing with Audis 4.0T engine is that it also can be tuned to 520hp. It is entirely possible they use the S8 version of the engine for the journalist model.

#83 · (Edited)
If I had a hidden agenda, I would encourage everyone here to buy Audi and Lexus models, because they are cheaper.

Lower price OEMs gaining share is good for everyone.

#92 ·
Consumer Reports is the only source of auto reviews where the cars tested are purchased, anonymously, from dealers and also the only auto publication which does not accept advertising. Folks have mixed and polarized opinions on CR, but they at least buy the cars they review the same way that we buy them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.