BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

MT parking question

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  mwette 
#1 ·
Question: When parking, should you leave it in gear, or put it in neutral? (either way, e-brake is on).

Does it really matter, or is one better than the other? :dunno:

#5 ·
I *always* leave it in gear, the opposite gear according to the grade of the road. If the car could roll forward, I leave it in reverse... if it could roll backward I leave it in 1st. And I always use the ebrake. Even when I drove an autoshwagic I used the ebrake... nothing like leaving your car's health and future to the perils of a transmission gear or 1" park tooth thingy (as it was with the auto).

#6 ·
Once, I set the handbrake, locked the doors, and got out of my Probe GT. As I was walking away, I heard a rustling noise, and looked around to see my car slowly rolling down the hill through a line of bushes. The brake hadn't fully engaged. I ran back to it, and had to struggle to get the key in the door while the car was picking up speed through the foliage. I got it open and stopped, but not without nearly giving myself a heart attack in the process.

So, yeah, since then I leave it in gear when I park.

#7 ·
Hmm, so far I've been too lazy to put the car in gear. That, and I've had a few instances where I've started the car, let out the clutch, and stalled immediately because I forgot to put the car in neutral. :eeps: I have noticed that my e-brake is not as tight as it was a month ago, though. Maybe I'll start putting the car in gear as well.

#8 ·
Jetfire said:
Hmm, so far I've been too lazy to put the car in gear. That, and I've had a few instances where I've started the car, let out the clutch, and stalled immediately because I forgot to put the car in neutral. :eeps: I have noticed that my e-brake is not as tight as it was a month ago, though. Maybe I'll start putting the car in gear as well.
You could have your ebrake adjusted, I'd do that before I left the car to roll to its doom. :)

#9 ·
I always put on the brake and put it in gear, usually 2nd.

Note that the higher gear you put it in the more torque the wheels have to generate to turn the engine. Based on this, I believe it's safer to put it into a high gear.

Matt

#11 ·
I always leave it in gear (1st, unless pointed down on a very steep slope -- then R), and use the ebrake.

After putting the car in gear and pulling up the ebrake handle, I always take my foot off the brake before the clutch, so the weight of the car is on the brake rather than the gear/engine. The gear/ending just acts as a backup in case the brake fails.

#13 ·
Lower gear is better for me.In the good/bad old days when we had to push start cars we always used second.First gear would try and stop the car dead in its tracks.Second would turn it over easily.

#15 ·
I have a friend who was relying on the parking brake in his Jag X-Type - and had to replace the bumber when the brake failed it the car rolled into a wall. He chose the gear that was in the direction he wanted to go - so in his garage, he would put it in reverse (just in case he forgot).

I always use both and I always use reverse even though I think first gear is better now.

#16 ·
Now I have to go look up which has a lower ratio...first or reverse. I think it's first.

B.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.