BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Current horsepower war

3K views 54 replies 14 participants last post by  pdz 
#1 ·
Does the current horsepower war remind anyone of the late 60's/early 70's? Everybody was making HUGE horsepower and then the bottom dropped out. Gas and insurance prices soared, causing people to have to drive Mustang 2's and of the like, YUK. I sure hope that doesn't happen again. :eek:

#53 ·
TD said:

I have consistenly said this. We really need a $3-4/gal federal gas tax to force people to honestly assess what they need and/or are willing to splurge on.

For me personally, I'd have to take a new job with a shorter commute (or that I could take the subway to) and my M3 would become a strictly weekend car. But, honestly, that would be much better for the environment.
$3-$4/gal tax! that would be economic suicide. everything depends on transportation. the price of grocery and almost everything else you buy will hit the roof.

i'll say add annual taxes based on engine displacement or on the rate mileage of the car. i believe in japan, the auto manufacturers must pay additional taxes for each car they build having in excess of 4 cylinders. that's why you don't see too many v8's coming from japan.

G
#54 ·
HW said:

$3-$4/gal tax! that would be economic suicide. everything depends on transportation. the price of grocery and almost everything else you buy will hit the roof.

i'll say add annual taxes based on engine displacement or on the rate mileage of the car. i believe in japan, the auto manufacturers must pay additional taxes for each car they build having in excess of 4 cylinders. that's why you don't see too many v8's coming from japan.
Again. Read.

I would exempt diesel.

#55 ·
agree about gas pricing

it would be pretty sobering to the US and these ridiculously inefficient big block (okay, small block compared to the 60s) engines in these heavy sport-utes and also these silly HP wars.

but rather than a higher gasoline tax at the pump, it may be more california-esque to tax vehicles based on C02 emission as they do in britain. that would sting a lot of people right away; if you layer on top of that a higher gas price....wow.

it would be a self-solving problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.