BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW Service Code List-EVERYBODY CAN HELP

239K views 91 replies 61 participants last post by  Terry234325 
#1 · (Edited)
As the result of some recent activities I decided that it might be productive to create a list of the BMW service codes that are used by BMW to code dealer warranty maintenance and repair.

These codes are the ones that appear on the Vehicle History Report that so many find of interest but are unable to read since only the code appears.

The report that is linked below is just a start and I can not assure anyone of it's total accuracy as many of the descriptions have been gleaned from various searches on google, etc.

WHAT IS IMPORTANT IS THAT COLLECTIVELY WE CAN GENERATE A LIST THAT WOULD ALLOW EVERYONE TO HELP EACH OTHER.

All anyone needs to do is look at any warranty or maintenance plan repair order you got from your BMW dealer. In the description for each item there will be a 10 digit code. That's the code that BMW uses to categorize each repair so that BMW can pay the dealer. E-mail me with the 10 digit code and description. That's all that is required.

Please spend a few minutes to help each other.

I'm happy to update the list as often as necessary. All you need to do is e-mail me with your info.

Fred Meloan

Attachments

See less See more
#60 ·
well i would love to help you in your quest for figuring out the defect codes and as a warranty admin i know i could probably give you all the info if i could view the list. computer issues with pdf files are driving me insane. basically if you are looking to see if the used car you are interested in purchasing is a lemon the codes wont help they are super secret info between the manuf in this case bmw and the owner of the car. but i joined this board since i am frustrated and unable to receive help from bmw (no more calls just emails to a random warranty address) maybe joining will allow me to help people (technicians) understand what we warranty adm bitches deal with daily

00 warranty repairs
mp maint plan

note you want alot of mp claims that means the owner maintained the vehicle as required under the free 4/50 plan standard for almost a decade now so hope that helps:thumbup:

#61 ·
[...]the codes wont help they are super secret info between the manuf in this case bmw and the owner of the car.
Reminder - you can go to http://www.tmk.com/defect-form and simply paste in your defect codes to have them decoded for you. The tool currently has complete decoding for 35,495 unique defect codes. There were 366 codes entered that it was unable to partially or completely decode in the slightly more than 3 years the tool has been in operation. Some of the undecoded codes were probably gibberish or test values.

Unfortunately, BMW changed the data format on the KSD and it doesn't seem possible to export the files to my application. If I get bored I'll run the 366 unknown codes through the latest KSD and see if it can decode them, and if it can I'll add them to my database.

#63 · (Edited)
Hey everyone I am new here but found this site with a bunch of defect codes, cananyone tell me if it is a accurate site? http://www.euroteknik.com/forum/bmw-service-maintenance-modification/16258-bmw-defect-codes.html

The codes seem to match up with the ones on my service report.

That brings me to my next question , should I am looking at a 2006 525 XI 50000km. The service codes shows that it had #11120001 -Cylinder head cover Cracked / broken / torn off . Is that someting to be worried about? or is it just the plastic cover?

#64 ·
BMW 330i Check Engine Soon light and torque converter repair

I am new to these forums as a member, but have browsed and read over the years. It is time to ask a question!
I have a 2001 330i with 216k miles on it...pretty well cared for. The "Engine Soon" light came on in 2008 and it was diagnosed by my local BMW independent mechanic as an issue with the torque converter. The car has 50k miles on it since then and continues to operate very well. I take good care of this car!
However, the CA registration is due, and a smog test is required. I am told the car cannot pass the smog test without the light being reset, and that requires the torque converter repair. The repair is going to cost a lot (I am told $1300+), and I am not very eager to spend that kind of money on a car this old, and with so many miles.
Do I have any other options in order to get this @^#@! light off and pass that smog test?

#65 ·
I have a 2001 330i with 216k miles on it...pretty well cared for. The "Engine Soon" light came on in 2008 and it was diagnosed by my local BMW independent mechanic as an issue with the torque converter. The car has 50k miles on it since then and continues to operate very well. I take good care of this car!
However, the CA registration is due, and a smog test is required. I am told the car cannot pass the smog test without the light being reset, and that requires the torque converter repair. The repair is going to cost a lot (I am told $1300+), and I am not very eager to spend that kind of money on a car this old, and with so many miles.
Do I have any other options in order to get this @^#@! light off and pass that smog test?
An illuminated CEL is an automatic failure in most state inspections these days - they don't bother with the tailpipe test, they just hook up to the OBD port and ask the car if it is compliant. A scan tool can tell you what code(s) are active and also reset the light. I believe Autozone and Advance Auto (and maybe others) will read the codes for you for free. Note that if the underlying condition hasn't been corrected, the light will come back on soon after being reset, and also that clearing the codes will cause the OBD port to report "not ready" to the inspection station until a certain interval (known as "drive cycles") have elapsed - that's to prevent somebody with a tool from clearing the codes while on line for inspection and sneaking through before the light comes back on.

The generic scan tools will report the mandated generic codes. There are also codes specific to BMW which may be reported (but not decoded) by a generic tool, or may not even show up in the generic tool. The BMW shop computers can read these, of course, and fancier aftermarket tools (like the AutoEnginuity one) can display detailed information about the BMW codes (this is an extra-cost option on that tool).

Without knowing what the specific code is (preferably the detailed BMW one), folks here can't really comment on whether $1300 is reasonable or not. It is possible that that is just the worst-case scenario for replacement with a rebuilt unit - BMW considers their transmissions to be sealed, maintenance-free units. In fact, you can't even change the transmission fluid filter without opening the sealed housing. Since you say there is no driveability issue, even 50K miles after the light came on, the problem may just be something like a defective sensor. But the shop won't know until they tear into it, and not all of the component parts are available separately.

#68 ·
10110106 - Long crank/start time on cold start
10110105 & 10110108 - are also cold start related, but I can't find the cause
10120105 - is hot start related - can't find cause
10320195 - idle speed under all operating conditions. - no cause
10329235 - idle quality under all operating conditions - no cause.

that's all the time I have for now. Back to work!

#77 ·
Do these code number remain the same across all engines and model years?

I assume new ones would be added over time. Is there an updated list somewhere?

#79 ·
can someone tell me what code 5e1c means

Cannot find the meaning of code 5E1C: DSC sequential m gearbox: longitudinal acceleration signal?

#82 ·
Hello Everyone,

Anyone can kindly explain the errors below please:

Fault Codes
CDB004 Permanent
Message (data, transmission line, 0x1AF) missing, Digital Motor
Electronics / Digital Diesel Electronics receiver, EGS transmitter
CDB104 Permanent
Message (request, torque, crankshaft, gearbox, 0x0B0) missing, Digital
Motor Electronics / Digital Diesel Electronics receiver, twin-clutch
gearbox, EGS transmitter
CDA604 Permanent
Message (request, torque, crankshaft, gearbox 2, 0xA0) missing, Digital
gearbox, EGS transmitter

#86 ·
Hello Everyone,

Anyone can kindly explain the errors below please:

Fault Codes
CDB004 Permanent
Message (data, transmission line, 0x1AF) missing, Digital Motor
Electronics / Digital Diesel Electronics receiver, EGS transmitter
CDB104 Permanent
Message (request, torque, crankshaft, gearbox, 0x0B0) missing, Digital
gearbox, EGS transmitter
CDA604 Permanent
Message (request, torque, crankshaft, gearbox 2, 0xA0) missing, Digital
gearbox, EGS transmitter
Did you ever figure this out?

#85 ·
Does anyone have a Radio Code List...
I just bought a BMW 740IL 4 days ago and the radio is missing the decal to get the code to unlock it. Can you tell me if there is any way to bypass this so i can finally listen to some jams.

#88 ·
As the result of some recent activities I decided that it might be productive to create a list of the BMW service codes that are used by BMW to code dealer warranty maintenance and repair.

These codes are the ones that appear on the Vehicle History Report that so many find of interest but are unable to read since only the code appears.

The report that is linked below is just a start and I can not assure anyone of it's total accuracy as many of the descriptions have been gleaned from various searches on google, etc.

WHAT IS IMPORTANT IS THAT COLLECTIVELY WE CAN GENERATE A LIST THAT WOULD ALLOW EVERYONE TO HELP EACH OTHER.

All anyone needs to do is look at any warranty or maintenance plan repair order you got from your BMW dealer. In the description for each item there will be a 10 digit code. That's the code that BMW uses to categorize each repair so that BMW can pay the dealer. E-mail me with the 10 digit code and description. That's all that is required.

Please spend a few minutes to help each other.

I'm happy to update the list as often as necessary. All you need to do is e-mail me with your info.

Fred Meloan
🙂😋