BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Too Many Faults in one go

615 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jlex 
#1 ·
Evening

I have used these forums for ages but this is my 1st post and I cant find exactly what I'm looking for so figured a post would be best.

I have a 56 plate x3 2.0d SE and it has started being a complete pain. I have the dreaded clunking from the back end - Tyres or Diff who knows, but that is the least of my worries.

The last two days the 4x4 light has illuminated along with the yellow brake light, this has then led to to extreme poor running, almost limp mode, but so limp it stalls. It then starts and can be fine or do exactly thye same thing again.

I have read the codes and I have a bank 1 O2 probe fault - 3 types. I also have an intermittent EGR issue, bu the current one is due to me removing teh vac hose. For some reason this helps me get home when this occurs. The EGR has been off recently, cleaned and has been fine since. turbo has also been replaced recently, along with the DMF and clutch.

This has all been in 3 months - My wallet cant cope and my wife is due any day, so I need a reliable car and cant afford to take it to a dealer to simply swap parts until they can fix it.

I think I need a new pre cat O2 sensor, so that is my 1st action - the car has done 116k, so they are due. But i dont get how this links to the other faults.

been reading it could be a battery dying but not sure how to check this without swapping too a new battery - Obviously dont want to do this if not needed.

So any clues - massively appreciated.

thanks

Will

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow lots to deal with there. First up check the tire tread depth/rolling circumference rand replace the oil in the gearbox, transfer box (BMW oil only) and diff.

That should fix your clunk but you may have to be prepared for a new gear in the transfer box actuator. Maybe replace the gear and the oil at the same time.

For the rough running it could be made worse by the cold. Reset the codes and fix he ones that come back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.