BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

shaking when turning steering wheel at slow speeds

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jlex 
#1 ·
For the most part the X3 runs and handles very well except when turning steering wheel at low speeds, like parking in a parking spot or at initial slow turn left/right at a stop sign. My power steering fluid was flushed and no leaks on fluid. Tires are about 6 months old.

#2 ·
My wife's Hyundai was doing that when I drove it. Changing out the PS fluid seems to have resolved the issue.
Is the idle abnormally low & is the pump straining the engine because of a low idle? Try turning off the AC to see if that helps; also, bump the idle up with the gas pedal while turning and see if that helps it. Look at the tac. Idle may need to be bumped up a bit, but you'd have to find out how. I can do it on a Porsche, but haven't looked into it on a BMW.
Idle air control valve dirty, maybe?

#3 ·
Thanks for the tips, I went ahead and cleaned the MAF and it seems that it idles better. I'll try bumping the idle to see if it makes a difference. Was wondering if a worn-out engine mount might cause the shattering/shaking at low speeds? At idle sometimes it shakes a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.