BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rookie question

816 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  nightmareuki 
#1 · (Edited)
I need to replace the coolant in my 07 x3. My trouble is figuring out which cap it is, because its pictured in the manual, with an additional sentence "if its a gas vehicle, the coolant is located on the opposite side." Since I'm facing an eight hour drive tomorrow, I didn't feel like experimenting which pipe the coolant goes down.

I'm guessing 2, but don't know what the heck 1 is..

And what the heck is the green colored cap?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't mean to come across as a jerk, but if you don't know which cap is for the coolant, replacing the coolant is probably not something you should attempt. The n52 requires a technical, albeit not difficult, bleeding procedure, with failure to do so possibly resulting in catastrophic damage.

Should you decided to go ahead: the above post is correct. Drain from the radiator drain valve. Make sure you search for "n52 cooling system bleeding procedure" (it is something like fill expansion tank full, replace cap, open bleeder screw, turn key to #2, press gas pedal to the floor for 15 or 30 seconds to initiate bleed procedure, top off when done until float reads at "cold" mark... it's been a while since I did it). Make sure you use ONLY BMW-approved coolant (the blue stuff). If you've never replaced the water pump and thermostat, the "might as wells" may apply since the system will be drained, if you're over 100k miles.

Oh, and clean that engine bay! :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.