BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

335i sedan with BMW Performance Short Shift kit

5K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  willcasp 
#1 ·
I am looking into the M Sport Package for a 335i 4D sedan.

I understand that this package comes with the M steering wheel and M shift nob, which is a little shorter in height from the standard nob that comes with the car.

I am curious to know if the shorter high is enough of an improvement for shifting, or if I should consider getting the BMW Performance Short Shift Kit (PN: 25 11 0 430 360).

Does the kit have only shorter distances between gears? Or are the gates also closer to each other?

Thanks!

#2 ·
A shorter shift knob may place the knob lower to be easier to reach for some but it won't really significantly change shift characteristics. I mean, we're talking like half an inch here, not going 3 inches lower.

The short shift kit will reduce the distances from one gear to the next but it won't narrow the distances between the gates. The gears are still found in the same locations, you just have to travel less to get there.

#7 ·
The BMW kit replaces everything and actually gives you shorter throws.

What I did and I believe cwinter did was simply get the E46 330 ZHP M knob that a lot of sites sell and only replaced the knob. It was less expensive.

What you are doing with the kit is the whole arm + the knob. It will be VERY differnent but I believe for the better. Our mod is a subtle change that is only felt on input. The kit actually changes the throw.

Its a preference -- for me I just did not want to spend the xtra money

#8 ·
While I have not driven a short shift kit before, some do certainly indicate that short throw will require significantly more arm strength to move through the gears. This may be a good trade off for the shorter throws on a race track but I read at least a few posts on here where some commented that the short throw kit is not designed to be a good daily driver.

I'd start with the standard factory thrower, maybe add the E46 ZHP knob (as I have done) and if you are still unsatisfied, test drive the BMW short throw kit before installing it. The price and install of the kit will be quite a bit, so you want to be sure you are happy with it. Not every performance mod is practical for everyday driving. :)

#11 ·
I have the ///M knob and I think that's fine for the track. It finds the gear all right.

#19 ·
I need to put a lot more BMW knob photos in my gallery! I have a lot of MINI designs shown, but not many Bimmer ones.

Most of my orders these days involve some sort of custom engraving design, but I also have many designs that I've saved from previous orders. It just depends on what the customer wants; nearly anything can be engraved.

#20 ·
It turns out that the knob that comes with the M Sport Package is not really an ///M knob (disappointed :thumbdwn:). It is just a dark knob. I think it is the same as the Sport Package but with black instead of the chrome.

I may not order the whole SSK, but I am tempted to change the knob at delivery time.

Is a knob replacement something that needs professional installation? Or are they easy enough to be done by someone inexperienced (i.e., me ;))?

#21 ·
I found if you put the gear in 2nd, and carefully pull the knob up and out (watch your head), it will "pop" off.

#30 ·
BMW knobs from I believe 1980 or so, fit the same. I agree, the alcantra knob from the perf kit isn't very appealing and alcantra is a bitch to clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.