BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Exposed gear (pic inside), what is this?

754 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  dki378 
#1 ·
I was under my car doing a cursory look to better understand the ATF DIY I was planning next and noticed something very strange. The component that sits in front of the ATF pan looks to be showing signs of a leak (maybe it from something else) but the part that concerned me more was the it looks to have a rectangular opening with an exposed gear. Is this normal? If so, what is this? (I just recently did the CCV DIY so the oil could be left over from my old failed CCV)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Flexplate is what the gear is. There should be a rubber plug covering that but it seems yours is missing.

That's what the starter engages to when your starting your car.

#8 ·
I doubt its going to hurt anything with it not being there since its not a sealed plug as much as a grid/grill that goes there. The guy that has the grill in place that lives close to me is probably the only one Ive seen that actually still had it on their car so its not a big deal.

#7 ·
I should point out its actually a grill more than a "plug". But there is a cover to it but its more for keeping debris out since you can see thru it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.