BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Starter Replacement DIY

33K views 71 replies 21 participants last post by  GoForthFast 
#1 ·
I recently started experiencing a Slow To Start issue. I turn the key and sometimes it turns over very slowly before it starts. Once it's running everything is fine. No codes or warning lights. It feels like the battery is failing, but I just had it tested and it's putting out 12.64 volts and 840 cca on the tester at the parts store, and its only just over two years old. I tried both keys and it does the same thing.

My next guess is a failing starter. Does this sound correct, and how do I test it?

Or does anyone think it may be camshaft or crankshaft position sensor? Would it still run solid, as it does, if one of these was the problem?

I'm hoping for advice on how to proceed with troubleshooting as I can't afford to just throw parts at it. I searched but didn't seem to find anything relevant, just people who's cars plain old wont start.

It's a 2003 325i with about 92k miles and auto transmission.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

See less See more
#47 ·
Try switching that relay with a known working one and replacing the blown fuse. It's possible that it's the starter relay and it could be your whole problem right there.

Not sure about the shifter lock solenoid but I think that diagram shows that you should have one. Is it off to the right side of the console ?

#48 ·
Update:

I checked all the grounds yesterday with except to the engine ground. I need to do that today because I need to get under the car and remove the protection plate. All grounds are good.

Text Font

The fuse is/was already replaced. The relay hasn't been replaced and has been identified as the windshield washers motor relay. The one that was not showing continuity is labeled number 4 in the picture.

Text Font Adaptation Paper Black-and-white

As far as the shiftlock solenoid goes, I popped the bezel to see the shifter and there was no solenoid in site. Because I have 2001 325i with steptronic shifting I figured I have the shifter design in the lower left of the page below.

Text Font Line Design Parallel

I was asking the question to make sure or double check what the diagram was saying. I don't think Bentley would forget to draw and label it on the diagram, but you never know.

Thank you for the help. Any more help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
William

#52 ·
Update:

I checked all the grounds yesterday with except to the engine ground. I need to do that today because I need to get under the car and remove the protection plate.
For the future you can check the integrity of the engine ground strap from the top of the engine by measuring the resistance from the engine block anywhere to any bolt that makes good electrical contact with the chassis.
Naturally this reading should be close to zero ohms.

#49 ·
Why is this sticky-worthy and not cooling system, fuel pump, ccv, broken door lock, window regulators, etc. ?
?

#50 ·
Ahull,

I don't know why, or if it should be worthy. I just started asking questions doing my research looking for answers to my no start problem.

I've had a lot of good help, however my issue seems to be stumping the group, including myself, so I get some help in areas, but nothing has been definitive in diagnosing and solving my problem.

I did start the tread or sticky. I apologize if I've disorganized or messed up the form some how.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I couldn't have come this far without all of your help.

Now, on to check the engine ground.

Cheers,
William

#51 ·
Ahull,

I don't know why, or if it should be worthy. I just started asking questions doing my research looking for answers to my no start problem.

I've had a lot of good help, however my issue seems to be stumping the group, including myself, so I get some help in areas, but nothing has been definitive in diagnosing and solving my problem.

I did start the tread or sticky. I apologize if I've disorganized or messed up the form some how.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I couldn't have come this far without all of your help.

Now, on to check the engine ground.

Cheers,
William

No worries, William. I think only admins can make sticky threads so my question was really for them. You're getting good help.... good chance you'll get it sorted here.

#54 ·
Forgive me for i am just a poor girl who knows not very much about about cars. Im pretty sure my problem pertains to this thread. First off ive pretty much ruled out the bettery. On cold mornings i have a hard time getting her started. (2001 330ci) the engine turns over fine, not slow anything but wont start. Called my dad, he said to prime the fuel pump a few times before starting, and sure enough it starts up fine. She doesnt run rough at all, no check engine light, nothing. Now, on really cold mornings, below freezing, the same thing happens, except that after priming the fuel pump about 3 times, the engine starrs, sputters and dies. She will do that about three times before she starts and stays started. Then she purrs like a kitten. My dad thinks it could be moisture in the lines or fuel filter? He's unsure, and not a bimmer guy. I use top shelf, premium gas, and never let her go below a quarter tank. Only other thing is she's due for an oil change. Thanks for any feedback :eek:

Sent from my VS920 4G using BimmerApp mobile app

#56 ·
How many miles? With symptoms like that (and no other details) I'd start with a fuel filter and pump. If you have more than 100k miles, I'd chalk this up to E46 maintenance.

Also a possibility is leaking injectors, depressurizing the rail overnight. But those are more the exception and not the rule. I'd start with the filter and pump.

#55 ·
Hey Robin, your problem is def not a starter. No big deal but to stay on topic, why dont you copy what you typed into a new thread and I and others will respond there? :)

#60 ·
The battery was new in march, or so the guy at the dealerahip said, ive cleaned all the connections, as i had problems early on with the cables being corroded.

Sent from my VS920 4G using BimmerApp mobile app
I would not exclude the condition of the battery by what the dealership told you. You need to have the battery tested. At minimum, have a multimeter and get a voltage reading off the battery.

Another possibility is you may have a grounding issue with the cables.

#64 ·
Slow, intermittent or no starting

I had the same problem, changed out battery and starter same problem. Turns out there is a switch in the steering that was going bad. The switch connects to the key cylinder and allows voltage to run the starter. I took it off and replaced it, no issues after. BTW I took the switch apart and found corrosion on the contact points which leads me to believe were the cause of the intermittent starting problems. since i changed it out I have not had any problems, hope this helps.

#68 · (Edited)
Must have tool for this job

I just finished a starter replacement on my wife's 2004 330xi. I did not lower the transmission. I removed the air intake components (both for engine and cabin) and took off the heater hoses. That gave me enough access to the bolts for the starter motor. The only reason that I had to remove the lower splash panels and the fuel filter cover was to fish the starter motor out of the bottom. I couldn't easily pull it out through the top. I probably spent more time getting the starter motor out of the engine bay than I did with the bolts holding it in place. But, the key is a gear wrench. Best with flexible head and at least 12" long. I bought this one in 8/10mm from my Snap-On dealer. Although it isn't a torx socket, the fit is good enough for the bolt to be removed without damage. Much better than dropping the transmission to access the bolt with a combination of extensions and universal swivels. Without this wrench, the job would be vastly more difficult. $60 well invested. It is not a Snap-On branded wrench. It is an EZRED NRM810 and about $30 online. I just couldn't wait for an online order.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-NRM810-Double-Reversible-Ratcheting/dp/B007QV5C0E

This is not as bad a job as some might make it seem. I probably whined about the location of the starter motor longer than it took me to replace it. _sl_

Attachments

#70 ·
My grand daughter had the same problem with her Ford Taurus.She kept telling me her car was starting slowly and I couldn't find anything so ignored it. Then one day it died on her at work and I had to pay to have it towed home. A new starter fixed right up. The shaft on the old one was frozen so it must have been bad bearings. We bought our 2006 325Ci in January with 89000 miles on it and it turns over slower when starting than any other car I've owned so I'm wondering if I have the same problem.

#71 ·
My grand daughter had the same problem with her Ford Taurus.She kept telling me her car was starting slowly and I couldn't find anything so ignored it. Then one day it died on her at work and I had to pay to have it towed home. A new starter fixed right up. The shaft on the old one was frozen so it must have been bad bearings. We bought our 2006 325Ci in January with 89000 miles on it and it turns over slower when starting than any other car I've owned so I'm wondering if I have the same problem.
First thing you should do is check the battery and its terminals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.